Serious Went to a Jordan Peterson talk

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
speaking of danish
I started watching this really interesting series

it was like, danish/swedish border if not mistaken and there was a murder on a bridge and the fat bald funny memer from denmark had to work with robo blonde swedish lady. Only watched the 1st season, if I find a place to watch it for free (with subtitles, or if anyone knows one let me know), I want to go on to season 2

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
speaking of danish
I started watching this really interesting series

it was like, danish/swedish border if not mistaken and there was a murder on a bridge and the fat bald funny memer from denmark had to work with robo blonde swedish lady. Only watched the 1st season, if I find a place to watch it for free (with subtitles, or if anyone knows one let me know), I want to go on to season 2

watch the hunt, that's on netflix for sure

idk where to find a subbed version of the bridge though

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
öresundsbron är ett bevis på att ett enat skandinavien kan hända
change my mind

TUA8P7K.jpg

Reactions: List

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
@Satirical as a scientists, can you confirm that A. Eating only beef and water will give you scurvy and has no medical benefit over a regular diet and B. Scentists also require evidence to back up their claims.

If all you focus on is the carnivore diet you're just actively seeking out things to mock. Peterson has great lectures on personality psychology, making meaningful decisions, conquering depressive and avoidant tendencies, and generally improving yourself behaviorally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. I know people often quip about his "clean your room" thing but the truth is telling someone who has trouble motivating or easily becomes depressed and puts off important things as a result to clean their room is extremely helpful. Why? Because it gives them a task. But not only does it give them a task. It gives them a feasible task the result of which is immediately observable. It's also really helpful if you have someone work with them to break down the task over a few hours or possibly even days, but that's beside the point. When Peterson talks about improving your depressed life starting with cleaning your room, it's not about cleaning your room, it's about elevating yourself beyond procrastination and depression. It's about giving yourself a sense of achievement.

Focusing on "lol he only meats xddd thats not healthy" is totally shitting on everything else he's said and taught and wrote about and how meaningful and applicable it is.

Husky

Nebulae
If all you focus on is the carnivore diet you're just actively seeking out things to mock. Peterson has great lectures on personality psychology, making meaningful decisions, conquering depressive and avoidant tendencies, and generally improving yourself behaviorally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. I know people often quip about his "clean your room" thing but the truth is telling someone who has trouble motivating or easily becomes depressed and puts off important things as a result to clean their room is extremely helpful. Why? Because it gives them a task. But not only does it give them a task. It gives them a feasible task the result of which is immediately observable. It's also really helpful if you have someone work with them to break down the task over a few hours or possibly even days, but that's beside the point. When Peterson talks about improving your depressed life starting with cleaning your room, it's not about cleaning your room, it's about elevating yourself beyond procrastination and depression. It's about giving yourself a sense of achievement.

Focusing on "lol he only meats xddd thats not healthy" is totally shitting on everything else he's said and taught and wrote about and how meaningful and applicable it is.
None of these are inventive things either, not to mention the fact most of his works are disinformation or the same message repeated over and over, he's formed a personality cult around himself and it's not healthy, he's doing the opposite of what you think he's doing. People are gaining a very unhealthy and toxic obsession with him.

Not to mention his usage of the 'Post-modern neo-marxist' which, too me, and especially the way he uses it, sounds a lot like the judeo-bolshevik shit that nazis preach, Peterson has this harmless over-tone and very very dark undertone's, especially given the context of what he says. His summary of what is 'Post-modern neo-marxism' seems to be 'everything I don't like' If you actually want a good example of a post-modernist who was a communist read Foucault, he's a good philosipher although did get the 'Everything is a prison' meme about his work, but still good reading.

Jordan Petersons philosiphies lie more with the late philosiphers, which include Karl 'Belly full of bread, borgs full of lead' Marx & Engels, Sigmund 'HNNNNG DADDY' Freud, Max 'Religion gay and so is capitalism lol' Weber, Emile 'I Kant do it alone' Durkheimer, and so on. The general underlying principle behind this philosiphy at this time was that human nature can be understand through unconscious drives, some scientific racism like 'black people have lower iq's so they deserve to be slaves yEET' which then later became a hippie 'we're all the same' philosophy.

What Peterson does is a sort of fitting with the scientific racism in that he's making pseudoscientific claims to justify disparaging between groups, races and sexes and justifying the treating of them differently from other races or sexualities, like my previous example of his remarks on gay marriages, the idea that gay people cannot stabily raise families can very easily be an argument against gay abortion/gay marriage (which is very much akin to the scientific racists) however he stops just short of the ending to that, but the implication is still heavily there, and he doesn't use any evidence or reasoning to back up his arguments that isn't based on flawed and irrelivant studies so my only conclusion can therefor be that he is implying the latter.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
jordan peterson is undoubtedly one of the finest orators of the modern times in regards to the field of psychology and the whole umbrella term and his concepts on religion and life is interesting

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
None of these are inventive things either, not to mention the fact most of his works are disinformation or the same message repeated over and over, he's formed a personality cult around himself and it's not healthy, he's doing the opposite of what you think he's doing. People are gaining a very unhealthy and toxic obsession with him.

Not to mention his usage of the 'Post-modern neo-marxist' which, too me, and especially the way he uses it, sounds a lot like the judeo-bolshevik shit that nazis preach, Peterson has this harmless over-tone and very very dark undertone's, especially given the context of what he says. His summary of what is 'Post-modern neo-marxism' seems to be 'everything I don't like' If you actually want a good example of a post-modernist who was a communist read Foucault, he's a good philosipher although did get the 'Everything is a prison' meme about his work, but still good reading.

Jordan Petersons philosiphies lie more with the late philosiphers, which include Karl 'Belly full of bread, borgs full of lead' Marx & Engels, Sigmund 'HNNNNG DADDY' Freud, Max 'Religion gay and so is capitalism lol' Weber, Emile 'I Kant do it alone' Durkheimer, and so on. The general underlying principle behind this philosiphy at this time was that human nature can be understand through unconscious drives, some scientific racism like 'black people have lower iq's so they deserve to be slaves yEET' which then later became a hippie 'we're all the same' philosophy.

What Peterson does is a sort of fitting with the scientific racism in that he's making pseudoscientific claims to justify disparaging between groups, races and sexes and justifying the treating of them differently from other races or sexualities, like my previous example of his remarks on gay marriages, the idea that gay people cannot stabily raise families can very easily be an argument against gay abortion/gay marriage (which is very much akin to the scientific racists) however he stops just short of the ending to that, but the implication is still heavily there, and he doesn't use any evidence or reasoning to back up his arguments that isn't based on flawed and irrelivant studies so my only conclusion can therefor be that he is implying the latter.

I genuinely don't care about his political views. I see him with admiration solely on the basis of his psychological teachings. Yeah, people get carried away with the fanatical views they have politically. Yeah, people are gonna say dumb stuff - even academics like Peterson. But these reductions where you just say "Peterson says x ridiculous thing therefore he is always wrong" are minimizing what good can come from his teachings as a psychologist. He gets political theory dead wrong honestly, and it's something I've become more aware of as time has gone on. But that doesn't really affect me because I'm not watching his political videos, I'm watching his videos on psychology.

And additionally, I think it's more than a stretch to say he's a "scientific racist" just because he holds somewhat traditional views in the nature of humans to sustain life differently based on differences. You'd probably tell me men and women being different is scientific sexism, though, so I don't see much room to negotiate any of the latter half of what you said.

Black Rain (1989)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
Nebulae

It's incredible that you can write four paragraphs yet say absolutely nothing at all.

Also there you go using that whole 'pseudo' label even though Peterson is a more qualified professional than you'll ever be.

Anyway, on topic;

I admire Peterson with regards to his lectures on Fascism / Communist ideologues and some of his stuff about the Bible. Not too big into his contemporary stuff, but I absolutely loved his lecture on Solzhenitsyn and the Soviet regime - that two hour lecture sent me on a whole tangent with regards to research during my Undergraduate thesis, just out of pure fascination for some of the topics he glossed over.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of his historical stuff - I am also interested in hearing why people are drawn to Peterson so much, why has he become this icon in popular culture? What is he doing that other contemporary philosophers aren't?

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
but the implication is still heavily there, and he doesn't use any evidence or reasoning to back up his arguments that isn't based on flawed and irrelivant studies so my only conclusion can therefor be that he is implying the latter.
im fairly sure that, scientifically, it's proven that children are more likely to exhibit masculine/feminine traits dependent if they are devoid of one parental figure. for example, a male child, raised around female guardians, will be significantly more prolific in feminine traits - and more masculine if a father - but children also grow up angry for this, as well as a number of other things; feeling unloved, deserted, accounting in angry outbursts for a lack of one parent, so on and so forth.
his hours long speeches on how to keep a stable marriage through truth, healthy diets to improve the mind, dissecting the mind of murderers, religion and politics mean nothing to you? you've not seen the hours upon hours, days upon days of jargon he has committed in respect to his passion?
general underlying principle behind this philosiphy at this time was that human nature can be understand through unconscious drives,
it can
'black people have lower iq's
they do, scientifically - they're also less socially developed on average due to cultural upbringing and natural evolution - though as for the claims of deserving slavery; i wont comment. do i believe black and white people should coexist peacefully? yes, but you can't deny scientifically that white people are more socially and mentally developed than black people, and i would go on by extension to say that white and black people shouldn't live together. think whites in europe, and blacks in africa. not even me trying to be an edgy right-winger, just factual.
pseudoscientific claims to justify disparaging between groups, races and sexes and justifying the treating of them differently from other races or sexualities,
no, just scientific articles proven to be true, nothing pseudo about it

peterson is a brilliant mind, he clearly has the blessing of craft to be able to create intrigue around topics of religion and political ideology.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of his historical stuff - I am also interested in hearing why people are drawn to Peterson so much, why has he become this icon in popular culture? What is he doing that other contemporary philosophers aren't?
i think it's his wide reach, you can understand what he's trying to convey though doesn't hold your hand. he almost encourages you to go off and research points in his lectures that he doesn't have the time to fully develop - think akin to a teacher-student interaction, he promotes activity to project learning

Husky

Nebulae
no, just scientific articles proven to be true, nothing pseudo about it

peterson is a brilliant mind, he clearly has the blessing of craft to be able to create intrigue around topics of religion and political ideology.
Name one example.

they do, scientifically - they're also less socially developed on average due to cultural upbringing and natural evolution - though as for the claims of deserving slavery; i wont comment. do i believe black and white people should coexist peacefully? yes, but you can't deny scientifically that white people are more socially and mentally developed than black people, and i would go on by extension to say that white and black people shouldn't live together. think whites in europe, and blacks in africa. not even me trying to be an edgy right-winger, just factual.
holy shit.

This guy just said that black people have lower IQ's.

This is what JBP does to your brain.

I want food. I'ma get some food. Theory debunked nerd.

But yeh it has some merit to it. We do have unconscious drives but not all of our desires can be understood through them, a lot of our drives are conscious, like the drive for sex, food, survival etc.

his hours long speeches on how to keep a stable marriage through truth, healthy diets to improve the mind, dissecting the mind of murderers, religion and politics mean nothing to you? you've not seen the hours upon hours, days upon days of jargon he has committed in respect to his passion?
Not really no, couse he gives pretty shit opinions on all of them.