Serious WW1RP; Good or Bad?

WW1RP; Good or Bad?

• Total voters

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae
ww2 was a really good sequel, it had a fleshed out villian you loved to hate. It had rivals join each other to take on a much bigger threat. and the finale sure went out with a bang.

Firebird

Just Fire
Nebulae
To be honest, WW1, just seems bland compared to WW2 or more modern wars, WW1 RP, just wouldn't work in my head.
[doublepost=1525552076][/doublepost]
As cool as the concept of WW1 is, most of the time will probably be spent in the trench, which isn't fun rping as it would mostly just be about avoiding trench foot, artillery etc, unless it is more focused on other campaigns (Africa maybe)?
Agreed, seems that the realistic aspects would be in trenches or rather sitting around as they did in WW1

Oswinner

Electron
Nebulae
Touching on ww3rp with a small observation: The server is still up albeit closed off and unmaintained; All we need is:
  • A small team of dedicated, stable and competant staff, but big enough to be able to run and communicate with some resources,
  • Re-establish a lore having a poll on the 1990, Coal VS Glob LP lore or the Neb Coal and Glob lore; Find out the most popular and put that in.
  • Soon enough we will have a some-what stable ww3rp server which can develope over time.
Also on a note the mafia in the U.S started with nothing but became quite powerful after accumulating scraps and such. It could be the same scenario with ww3rp.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Touching on ww3rp with a small observation: The server is still up albeit closed off and unmaintained; All we need is:
  • A small team of dedicated, stable and competant staff, but big enough to be able to run and communicate with some resources,
  • Re-establish a lore having a poll on the 1990, Coal VS Glob LP lore or the Neb Coal and Glob lore; Find out the most popular and put that in.
  • Soon enough we will have a some-what stable ww3rp server which can develope over time.
Also on a note the mafia in the U.S started with nothing but became quite powerful after accumulating scraps and such. It could be the same scenario with ww3rp.
1990rp is like a cold war documentary, if you don't understand what they're talking about and don't invest yourself with following along what the ic world throws your way, then you won't care to like it and won't try to either.

modern ww3rp was good, as was 83rp, 90rp was the weakest out of the three imo. i'm not being funny but no one cared about the staff and what they sacrificed for the server to help people out, as cliche and cringe it sounds its actually somewhat true. but that's a double edged sword, as some staff were actually unreasonable cunts to players at the same time.

ww3rp is as good as dead, it should stay that way instead of people wanting to revive it with the fleeting hope of 'WE'LL HAVE BETTER STAFF THIS TIME, GOOD LORE, PROMISE!!!' to capture some 2014-2017 nostalgia. ww3rp was fun, i won't deny that, i grew up on it - from 12/13 years old to 15 now, but i can respect the fact that people would find it absolute dreck - looking at it without rose tinted glasses now, maybe the server was mediocre, but i still don't know; i like to think it was good and people had fun there.

just think of all you'd have to pull together if you wanted to do it again; all that coding, the model, faction and lore work to be done - atop scrounging a staff team, creating some genuine hype around it other than 'can't wait to genocide x faction for y meme' and even then you'd have to do constant events to keep it from going stagnant.

i don't like to think on it all too much, doesn't really matter now does it.

other than that, have this cool picture of some finnish(???) soldiers i have
vBXD9Yv.jpg

Reactions: List

Oswinner

Electron
Nebulae
1990rp is like a cold war documentary, if you don't understand what they're talking about and don't invest yourself with following along what the ic world throws your way, then you won't care to like it and won't try to either.

modern ww3rp was good, as was 83rp, 90rp was the weakest out of the three imo. i'm not being funny but no one cared about the staff and what they sacrificed for the server to help people out, as cliche and cringe it sounds its actually somewhat true. but that's a double edged sword, as some staff were actually unreasonable cunts to players at the same time.

ww3rp is as good as dead, it should stay that way instead of people wanting to revive it with the fleeting hope of 'WE'LL HAVE BETTER STAFF THIS TIME, GOOD LORE, PROMISE!!!' to capture some 2014-2017 nostalgia. ww3rp was fun, i won't deny that, i grew up on it - from 12/13 years old to 15 now, but i can respect the fact that people would find it absolute dreck - looking at it without rose tinted glasses now, maybe the server was mediocre, but i still don't know; i like to think it was good and people had fun there.

just think of all you'd have to pull together if you wanted to do it again; all that coding, the model, faction and lore work to be done - atop scrounging a staff team, creating some genuine hype around it other than 'can't wait to genocide x faction for y meme' and even then you'd have to do constant events to keep it from going stagnant.

i don't like to think on it all too much, doesn't really matter now does it.

other than that, have this cool picture of some finnish(???) soldiers i have
vBXD9Yv.jpg
Yes I do agree with what you are saying but is that not the same story with most roleplay servers? They die off, people do other things and over time; Sometimes slowly but surely miss that server and want it back. Some people do feel that way because it did bring a community together, creating and even developing good and strong friendships, yes things do go on and fourth but it goes without saying "History repeats itself". Look at frundtech for example; it failed in a large portion of fields but it still came back being a stubborn thorn in some people's sides. If you compare FTRP with WW3RP over the 4-7 year period; WW3RP was better off and more stable.

Before replying with a message repeating which a lot of people have said over the pass few months, all I ask is for you to think about what I said and let it brew over.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Yes I do agree with what you are saying but is that not the same story with most roleplay servers? They die off, people do other things and over time; Sometimes slowly but surely miss that server and want it back. Some people do feel that way because it did bring a community together, creating and even developing good and strong friendships, yes things do go on and fourth but it goes without saying "History repeats itself". Look at frundtech for example; it failed in a large portion of fields but it still came back being a stubborn thorn in some people's sides. If you compare FTRP with WW3RP over the 4-7 year period; WW3RP was better off and more stable.

Before replying with a message repeating which a lot of people have said over the pass few months, all I ask is for you to think about what I said and let it brew over.
ww3rp has had its consistent run spanning all the way back to 2014, nowdays most people have grown up from whom played it back then and have moved away from roleplay and in some cases even the internet as a whole - in a few years, it'll be a name tossed up by some guy who played it a few times back in 2016, which gains popularity by the new kids of the rp scene as some niche little gamemode that they'd like to see happen - it happens, underprepped, fails and is doomed to repeat it over again.

i said that it shouldn't come back, not that it won't. ofcourse things are always doomed to repeat, either for better or for worse - what i'm saying is that i think ww3rp has had its peak; its came and gone, and for that reason, if it were to come back, it'll never surpass that peak and therefore be disappointing.

i have to disagree with you on ftrp, i played it only a few times and felt underwhelming, all we can do is hope i guess.

but here, have another picture
CYhbu6O.png

Oswinner

Electron
Nebulae
ww3rp has had its consistent run spanning all the way back to 2014, nowdays most people have grown up from whom played it back then and have moved away from roleplay and in some cases even the internet as a whole - in a few years, it'll be a name tossed up by some guy who played it a few times back in 2016, which gains popularity by the new kids of the rp scene as some niche little gamemode that they'd like to see happen - it happens, underprepped, fails and is doomed to repeat it over again.

i said that it shouldn't come back, not that it won't. ofcourse things are always doomed to repeat, either for better or for worse - what i'm saying is that i think ww3rp has had its peak; its came and gone, and for that reason, if it were to come back, it'll never surpass that peak and therefore be disappointing.

i have to disagree with you on ftrp, i played it only a few times and felt underwhelming, all we can do is hope i guess.

but here, have another picture
CYhbu6O.png
You mention that WW3RP had a constant span since 2014 mind explaining why HL2RP hasn't kicked the bucket yet when HL2RP has been running a portion of years before WW3RP? But HL2RP is slowly but surely dying, don't get me wrong about that.

Back to the question at hand; HL2RP has not taken the same downfall of a path like FTRP and or Nebulous' intake of WW3RP is because HL2RP has a staff team which is mostly dedicated to the server doing events and such weekly, often working hard (Yes, there were some dedicated staff members in WW3RP) and the staff team on HL2RP are generally more organised being more fair in judgement, laying down the fist on IC memery, taking the people who want to piss about out of the equation with diciplinary measures. While in WW3RP there were these unhealthy faction rivalries between staff members with a large portion of the staff team being straight out lax and lazy (No disrespect to the ones who did their job). Some of the playerbase were running amuck within the server with general memery, mingery, lack of discipline and general erp enduced topics.

Also to talk about the lore; WW3RP was something bi-polar: One moment it was a Tom Clancy novel shortly moving to an 'Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis' intake. Ofcourse it will rustle some feathers and people will have to re-read the lore and do extra research on that time period or general affiliation within the period. While with HL2RP they stook with the formula which was there from the start (it's not much of hl2rp it's more like modern day China but a little more strict). People kept talking about the LP lore and then the staff higher up dismissing it and not trying it, making a poorer state of a lore which was there from the start. From a player's opinion WW3RP should have taken the same route like HL2RP and grabbed the lore and setting which was there from the start and tweak it a little, with research and general input.

Yes, yes. You may counter the argument with the age of WW3RP and people moving away from it. But have you heard of something called 'Refreshed playerbase'? It happens often, especially on HL2RP which is some-what a good example of a staple success

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
You mention that WW3RP had a constant span since 2014 mind explaining why HL2RP hasn't kicked the bucket yet when HL2RP has been running a portion of years before WW3RP? But HL2RP is slowly but surely dying, don't get me wrong about that.

Back to the question at hand; HL2RP has not taken the same downfall of a path like FTRP and or Nebulous' intake of WW3RP is because HL2RP has a staff team which is mostly dedicated to the server doing events and such weekly, often working hard (Yes, there were some dedicated staff members in WW3RP) and the staff team on HL2RP are generally more organised being more fair in judgement, laying down the fist on IC memery, taking the people who want to piss about out of the equation with diciplinary measures. While in WW3RP there were these unhealthy faction rivalries between staff members with a large portion of the staff team being straight out lax and lazy (No disrespect to the ones who did their job). Some of the playerbase were running amuck within the server with general memery, mingery, lack of discipline and general erp enduced topics.

Also to talk about the lore; WW3RP was something bi-polar: One moment it was a Tom Clancy novel shortly moving to an 'Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis' intake. Ofcourse it will rustle some feathers and people will have to re-read the lore and do extra research on that time period or general affiliation within the period. While with HL2RP they stook with the formula which was there from the start (it's not much of hl2rp it's more like modern day China but a little more strict). People kept talking about the LP lore and then the staff higher up dismissing it and not trying it, making a poorer state of a lore which was there from the start. From a player's opinion WW3RP should have taken the same route like HL2RP and grabbed the lore and setting which was there from the start and tweak it a little, with research and general input.

Yes, yes. You may counter the argument with the age of WW3RP and people moving away from it. But have you heard of something called 'Refreshed playerbase'? It happens often, especially on HL2RP which is some-what a good example of a staple success
no its because hl2rp is based upon current-occupation by an alien force which means that there won't be direct combat unlike ww3rp. constant combat every single day just negates the feeling and strive for passiverp when you can go out and shoot the pixels of the enemy faction then watch them get mad at you in ooc, to which you call them a 'faggot' or something similar for being 'worse than you'. dying on an average of once every 45 minutes just makes the whole server feel like an arcade shooter rather than a meaningful character development story.

hl2rp has many avenues of different actions, passiverp is more important than hl2rp, where ww3rp became the opposite.

Oswinner

Electron
Nebulae
no its because hl2rp is based upon current-occupation instead of war with lil battles every day which negates the strive for passiverp when you can always go shoot pixels because that's fun, right
Oh to talk about the passive RP and battles; Battles are going to happen, happen alot since it's a war in the modern period with millions counted waves of men and women being hurled at eachother to gain an extra few miles, it's a war - Expect that.

But to address the issue with passive RP just trying to programme the new players that the server is not a team-deathmatch and promote passive roleplay (like citizens with workshifts and ration coupons/DCD). But this is for morale boosting suppliments like alcohol, money and even promotions. Do something like iron your kit or polish your boots for some appraisal or rewards. NCOs and or COs should step in and promote the roleplay like cleaning your room or participate in activities with your section against another section which can land you with very nice rewards like chocolate, alcohol, ranks and good cleaning ablution privillages. Generally take a few pages out of HL2RP's book and customize them so they can fit and cater to the WW3RP player base. Heck even leader ship activities could even get you a promotion and or a medal or two.

Last edited:

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
Maybe it's not the setting or the administration that dooms a gamemode, maybe it's some intrinsic fault in the gamemode itself that people don't notice immediatly and that slowly erodes the playerbase until it collapses. For instance I'm not sure but I believe that FTRP failed because of the open world setting: I'm not an expert on passiverp and stuff like that but from what I saw there it was easier to gain advantages and survive by scripthunting rather than roleplaying, interacting with other characters non-violently that is, players often wandered through the wide maps without meeting each other and interacting with strangers outside the "safe zones" was basically a suicide. There were huge flaws in certain mechanics, like Frundtech scientist having to wait for test subject to be online and the other way around, the latter were basically trapped alone in a room most of time. Perhaps instead of trying to build a gamemode around a theme, like World War 3, Post-apocalypse, cyberpunk etc. we should try to first build a schematic gamemode first and then add a theme around it.