WW3RP in ArmA 3?

Are you interested in trying this concept out yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
E4R9TcE.png

WORLD WAR THREE ROLEPLAY

ArmA III Edition

CbgH2dR.png

World War Three Roleplay has traditionally run multiple iterations inside of Garry’s Mod on numerous roleplaying frameworks, focused on text-based roleplay with the limited toolset available on the legacy Source engine to support it.

ArmA 3 provides support out of the box for a variety of features that Garry’s Mod has, since forever, been unable to provide, starting from:

• Realistic medical systems and weapon systems.
  • Large, open world support.
  • Land and air vehicles, as well as proper vehicular combat.
  • Et cetera.

These features within ArmA 3 make it an highly appropriate fit for a roleplaying game set in the setting of a war of any sort.

slCEkop.png

This brings a great, mostly concerning question about how roleplaying could be done in the setting of ArmA 3. The game is known for running multiple military-simulation groups playing a variety of scenarios in both PvE as well as PvP settings, using mostly voice chat for communications.

With this in mind, ArmA 3 does have a rather large roleplaying community, with certain servers having over a hundred concurrent players at times, offering an enjoyable and yet immersing environment for all who are interested in playing.

The translation of these concepts into a PvP setting is slightly more complex, but relies mostly on similar concepts - voice based communications, serious but mechanical roleplay, et cetera.
The application of these concepts has become widespread enough that it is widely used in other games, such as Grand Theft Auto, DayZ, and so forth.

Another advantage in Arma is that the game is designed to be immersive, a vital factor to roleplay. Immersion ties into gameplay, as such a person who joins the server receives the full experience the moment they join. Rather than being forced to roleplay, a person is encouraged by their environment.

gkRjKqY.png

It is immediately obvious to anyone looking that something similar has not been done in a similar setting. So while we cannot find an immediate comparison, it is possible to rely on comparing the concept to a mix of concepts including it to some degree, and take the best parts of each to create an appropriate framework:

Altis Life, ArmA 3 Project Life, Et Cetera.
ArmA 3, as mentioned previously, has numerous city-based roleplaying games. For the majority of servers running such gamemodes, they do indeed have rules to normalize an immersive environment, such as requiring players to have valid roleplay names and to roleplay as playing a character, rather than themselves.
Taking the concepts of mechanical roleplay - immersion being produced through genuine in-game mechanical actions as opposed to typed actions (e.g. /Me commands) provides an environment to which players can react in real-time.

ArmA 3 Mil-Sim Clans
There are numerous mil-sim “units” within ArmA 3, which provide structured groups similar to a military force of some type, with realistic weapons, vehicles, ranks and so forth. They provide highly intensive operations using ArmA’s systems, such as the Zeus system.
Creating a reactive environment in what is usually (but not necessarily) a PvE setting can often prove to be extremely engaging for all players and oftentimes these units can also approach an highly-immersive roleplay scheme. However, we cannot copy the rigid mil-sim structure, as it is not as appropriate gameplay wise for a large server that will run mostly without intervention.

DayZ Roleplaying Communities
DayZ has had numerous roleplaying communities rise up, offering many different settings, similar to Garry’s Mod. However, DayZ is considerably closer to ArmA 3, offering much better insight on the ways in which roleplay servers can be run within the games. It is notable that some of these servers completely transform the game into a different setting, e.g. STALKER.
Some DayZ roleplay servers have queues lasting hours - proving there is a large community for this type of roleplay outside of Garry’s Mod.​

r0Gzc97.png

ArmA 3 has a wide variety of addons from the get-go to complete the immersive experience we are looking for without harming performance too much, alongside with optional client-side addons which can improve the experience further for anyone who is willing to sacrifice the framerate.
Anything that hasn’t been made yet or requires modifications can be created or modified - ArmA 3 is highly moddable using its scripting engine.

U8PnIul.png

Arma is a game in motion, it changes dynamically. Many actions don’t need to be planned in advance, they can happen in a moment - the principle that actions have consequences. This translates into a far lower amount of necessary staff involvement, as players shape the environment themselves.

Players can organize themselves and be assisted by the team behind the project to do what they want, without having to work through a bureaucracy.
Another good point to address is that the staff team and volunteers will have access to a much wider variety of event-related tools, which will help in creating an immersive, fluid environment.

RYkjE8N.png

This is one of the parts which are directly translatable from Garry’s Mod. The lore can be imported into the game without issue, as well as the factions, with an even wider variety of options for players to pick from.

Similar faction and rank structures can be explored and even expanded, including new things such as aerial branches for using helicopters and further exploring the concept of combined arms, in comparison to Garry’s Mod, where the main activity of most detachments still was infantry combat.
As an additional example, combat engineers may be able to genuinely create mobile outposts in the fields and use mines for their factions’ advantage, pilots may be able to quickly transport and extract troops and medics will be able to perform their roles using much more in-depth systems.

TE27JIo.png

As promising as everything above sounds, there are numerous technical restrictions, common problems that communities face and community concerns from inside of nebulous which need to be addressed, and as such, this section aims to hopefully provide some solution or answer those.

Server-side Performance Issues & Lag
It is often addressed that ArmA 3 servers suffer from a lot of server-side performance issues and lag, however, it can be observed in many of the more popular servers that this is not always necessarily the case.

It seems that a lot of these performance issues can be mitigated with appropriate configuration of the server and settings, as well as careful addon selection and creation. It is notable that many common mods on the workshop can be optimized if they prove to be causing an issue.
Certain mods which only act on the client can simply be whitelisted on the server and run exclusively on the client.

Moderation & Rules
The general gist of the roleplay rules wouldn’t be much different than they are in Garry’s Mod by terms of sticking in character, and so forth. It isn’t any harder to moderate an ArmA 3 server than it is moderating a Garry’s Mod server in the same setting and the same problems would arise.
For example, handling the issue of new players running outside of the base in a WW3RP setting isn’t any different in ArmA 3 than it is in Garry’s Mod.

Greenlighting from the Community Management
There is sufficient support from the community management team in order to commit this project into nebulous should the community be willing to give it a try. We’ve been discussing it unofficially and the only roadblock from continuing is support from the community - not the management.

ArmA is not good for Gunplay and PvP
That’s completely false. There are many, many servers running PvP game-modes within ArmA 3 and these used to be the most successful servers for a while. Immersive gunplay is more than supported both through the vanilla game and a variety of addons which improve it, both serverside and clientside.

ArmA is a cheater’s heaven
Unfortunately, it is correct that BattlEye is slacking behind to some extent in ArmA 3 specifically, however, it works more than appropriately enough to stop the majority of people from cheating within the game. There are additional anti-cheat solutions that can be implemented if additional mitigating actions prove to be necessary further into the project.

What if it doesn’t work?
That’s okay. We’ll take this as a learning experience and move onto other things. This doesn’t mean the end of Garry’s Mod or text-based roleplay in nebulous, but simply an attempt at something different. If we take a few weeks and see that it isn’t going anywhere - we’ll seek something else.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
could be cool, like a cross between arma koth and takistanRP or something

exactly, my intentions for this are to create a new experience as a whole. i've always found that Arma is a really good ground for roleplay, as the immersion ties into gameplay and doesn't need to be artificially inserted, like in Garry's Mod. Of course it's a novel concept, which will make a lot of things without precedence, so we have to make a lot of guesses when it comes to it.

however, I do have a significant amount of experience when it comes to Arma playerbases so we should be gucci :)

Reactions: List

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
My only real concerns with this is

-This will turn into arma3 pvp server number 343266 with some additional features (like takilife, altislife, etc), which will just be filled with sweats

ArmA is not good for Gunplay and PvP
That’s completely false. There are many, many servers running PvP game-modes within ArmA 3 and these used to be the most successful servers for a while. Immersive gunplay is more than supported both through the vanilla game and a variety of addons which improve it, both serverside and clientside.
That's... misleading at worst. Arma 3 can have PvP, and gunplay is good compared to modern day games given it's age
Takistan Life, KOTH, and Altis Life have big components of PvP, and they are not what you'd actually expect - They're more or less just tryhardy and not a lot of fun to fight in and against. They may be some of the most successful servers on their type of gameplay and playerbase that caters to that type of gameplay

This does not make it good. Given the complexity of some mods, and how it slows down the game, it is a double edged sword depending on what you try to achieve. If you want a more dumbed down game you'll get faster playstyles and maybe something that doesn't resemble what ww3rp should look like for some players, and for others it will. On the other side, you can make the game slower paced, which requires more mods and more fine tuning, and in the end, more headaches if something breaks.

It is the infinite problem of "We can't please everyone" - because you can't, and it is a very important choice what you cater to at the end of the day, especially since this has had no precedence except one off milsim ops ran by communities with public sign ups and large amounts of people, and specific rulesets

i've always found that Arma is a really good ground for roleplay, as the immersion ties into gameplay and doesn't need to be artificially inserted, like in Garry's Mod
In a sense, you're right - but you cannot compare Arma roleplay to Gmod roleplay, as one is focused more on larping type gameplay and it is a more immersive space, and another is more focused towards storytelling and slower paced gameplay, with customizability beyond belief.

GMod is a lot more customizable and workable towards the experience you want, whereas ArmA 3 has limitations in it's engines which do not allow for this. WebKnight's Melee mod is a big example as to the limits of the engine. It is janky, it doesn't work as well as people wanted it to, but it's there. Doesn't mean it'll work good

I would love to see this in Reforger if it wasn't as new, because this concept in Reforger could actually work wonders, but it is too shit of a game to even think about.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think neb doing Arma in general is good, but trying to recreate something scuffed like ww3rp there is bad

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
I am new to RP in general, but here we go...

Well, while I myself would literally spend 30 dollars just to be into this (Financial decision making at its best), and see what happens, I am also kind of doubting as, despite Arma's promising potential for battling, I do wonder how the RP will be handled by the community (How prone to failure, that is), and how much easier it gets to do the technical part of server making.

I also do mention I have some hardware limitations (Gmod is very intesive, though), but I think you are closing the doors to some potential players if you go with Arma III, but maybe not too hard. However space is becoming a pain (Thanks, Gmod), so...

I still will try to be there if, and only IF I can see this project worth my own risks.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Well, while I myself would literally spend 30 dollars just to be into this (Financial decision making at its best), and see what happens, I am also kind of doubting as, despite Arma's promising potential for battling, I do wonder how the RP will be handled by the community (How prone to failure, that is), and how much easier it gets to do the technical part of server making.

I also do mention I have some hardware limitations (Gmod is very intesive, though), but I think you are closing the doors to some potential players if you go with Arma III, but maybe not too hard. However space is becoming a pain (Thanks, Gmod), so...

I still will try to be there if, and only IF I can see this project worth my own risks.
catering to the minority (being people that cant afford a computer that can run post-2013 games) is something that really shouldnt be looked into very much if im honest

its [current year], unless you live in venezuela (sorry homie) you can get decent hardware at a reasonable price

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
I think neb doing Arma in general is good, but trying to recreate something scuffed like ww3rp there is bad

Hmmm, yes, I think just going with WW3RP is probably not going to use Arma 3 by its full potential. However, I still would need to think what could be done with these new posibilities, and I am just braindead at this moment. But maybe some new concepts that could help differentiate from the thousands of other servers, otherwise... Very small niche.

And, well, just a small thing to consider hardware... But if the majority has well running PCs, I can simply be left behind if my PC says that's it.

GustavasSve

Don’t forget Hawaii!
Nebulae
I’m not really overly familiar with how multiplayer shit works in arma 3 because I’m a heavy single player guy but I feel like you could always try and see how well text rping would work outside of combat. So in combat it could be your usual mil-sim group skirmish but outside of combat when you’re chilling at your FOB you could switch back to text rping when you don’t have to worry about getting shot constantly. I think local chat allows for proximity text stuff so maybe????

Also I’ve always wondered how a text rp dayz would work. DayZRP has done text rp in their servers in the past and dayz in general is immersive as hell. Would be awesome to try out if only for a short while as a test.

(Also maybe something that isn’t ww3? Could expand a little and try something new)

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
My only real concerns with this is

-This will turn into arma3 pvp server number 343266 with some additional features (like takilife, altislife, etc), which will just be filled with sweats

unlikely, other servers will have far better PVP options to ours. KOTH is quick and dirty, for our project the tactics really count and however they're executed will decide the end result.

That's... misleading at worst. Arma 3 can have PvP, and gunplay is good compared to modern day games given it's age
Takistan Life, KOTH, and Altis Life have big components of PvP, and they are not what you'd actually expect - They're more or less just tryhardy and not a lot of fun to fight in and against. They may be some of the most successful servers on their type of gameplay and playerbase that caters to that type of gameplay

This does not make it good. Given the complexity of some mods, and how it slows down the game, it is a double edged sword depending on what you try to achieve. If you want a more dumbed down game you'll get faster playstyles and maybe something that doesn't resemble what ww3rp should look like for some players, and for others it will. On the other side, you can make the game slower paced, which requires more mods and more fine tuning, and in the end, more headaches if something breaks.

It is the infinite problem of "We can't please everyone" - because you can't, and it is a very important choice what you cater to at the end of the day, especially since this has had no precedence except one off milsim ops ran by communities with public sign ups and large amounts of people, and specific rulesets

arma has excellent gunplay, especially compared to Gmod. course there will always be players who play better, but experience doesn't always mean success in arma, it's good tactics that count and this will be the core of our server.

we will take a minimalist approach in regards to modding, keeping what is needed and what is neat, no bloat. everything will be optimized, from mission file to mods. not sure what you mean with the game being dumbed down, arma is arma - only reason you can't go tactical in KOTH is because a special someone with the most game breaking gear will sit in a tower with a powerful scope and rifle while you get raped by 20 jets.

trust me when I say that I have a fair share of experience when it comes to running public lobbies and communities.

GMod is a lot more customizable and workable towards the experience you want, whereas ArmA 3 has limitations in it's engines which do not allow for this. WebKnight's Melee mod is a big example as to the limits of the engine. It is janky, it doesn't work as well as people wanted it to, but it's there. Doesn't mean it'll work good

we're not doing medievalRP so we should be good to go for starters, but the fundamental difference is that Gmod need a million mods to have a different experience while we could just run Arma as is and have a fun time. of course we're adding mods though, no question.

WW3RP is just a keyword to talk about any faction vs faction gameplay, this is essentially that. from my current notes, we won't be continuing any storyline from other iterations, this is its own thing, entirely.

arma can run even on low hardware, just with jank. i'll attempt to add roles that have more passive sides to them than pure combat, to allow people such as you to also enjoy the server. i've been able to run the game on a crappy laptop on the lowest settings and some extra improvements, it's possible but not always practical.

I’m not really overly familiar with how multiplayer shit works in arma 3 because I’m a heavy single player guy but I feel like you could always try and see how well text rping would work outside of combat. So in combat it could be your usual mil-sim group skirmish but outside of combat when you’re chilling at your FOB you could switch back to text rping when you don’t have to worry about getting shot constantly. I think local chat allows for proximity text stuff so maybe????

Also I’ve always wondered how a text rp dayz would work. DayZRP has done text rp in their servers in the past and dayz in general is immersive as hell. Would be awesome to try out if only for a short while as a test.

(Also maybe something that isn’t ww3? Could expand a little and try something new)

essentially this, all tactical for combat and passive for the calm hours.

as mentioned in my other response, it's just a catchphrase. this is incomparable to gmod WW3RP, due to the nature of the game - this one is made for it, while gmod has to be heavily tuned to receive a somewhat okay result

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
actually interested from the people who voted no, what threw you off the concept, or are you just unable to play? the more feedback we get the better

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
actually interested from the people who voted no, what threw you off the concept, or are you just unable to play? the more feedback we get the better
For myself personally, it's largely just me not liking ARMA as a game.
TBH the concept would probably fit pretty easily, I just have a strong dislike for game feel in arma.

I almost say it as a joke but ww3rp built into GTA5 would probably fit this community style a little more, use to being more rapid, closer and chaotic over how structured and long range arma can get.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think it's more akin to being inspired by WW3 RP rather than a recreation.

This, pretty much. We are probably gonna stick with a whole different setting to the current timeline, a novel experience.

WW3RP is neat, but only has a limited scope in Garry's Mod. I believe an inspired concept would do very well.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
why are people so unnecessarily keen on text based roleplay it is not good stop gaslighting yourselves

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
why are people so unnecessarily keen on text based roleplay it is not good stop gaslighting yourselves
It is a community that has only ran text based servers and they chose to come here instead of a voice based server

That's like going to a book club and saying 'why are you all into books, just watch movies'

Going voiced is a good choice but it's just silly to say things like that

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
It is a community that has only ran text based servers and they chose to come here instead of a voice based server

That's like going to a book club and saying 'why are you all into books, just watch movies'

Going voiced is a good choice but it's just silly to say things like that

I am pretty sure people can try out new things and play more things and do more things than just what the community has had in server choice

Going by your take, there's no point in developing GTA RP at all since nobody will like it as they prefer typing blocks of text while they get shot at

This is a community where there are plenty of people who play plenty of games and thus they should not expect everyone will bow down to the 2012 playstyle of wasting innumerable hours of their life typing away while nothing actually seems to be happening, eventually gamemodes with voice based roleplay will show up and they can't expect all of these gamemodes to implement text for their RP, specially when there are radio plugins and the likes involved

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I am pretty sure people can try out new things and play more things and do more things than just what the community has had in server choice

Going by your take, there's no point in developing GTA RP at all since nobody will like it as they prefer typing blocks of text while they get shot at

This is a community where there are plenty of people who play plenty of games and thus they should not expect everyone will bow down to the 2012 playstyle of wasting innumerable hours of their life typing away while nothing actually seems to be happening, eventually gamemodes with voice based roleplay will show up and they can't expect all of these gamemodes to implement text for their RP, specially when there are radio plugins and the likes involved
I didn't say anything like that. All I said was that you specifically made a silly comment that's just making fun of people's hobby for no reason