WW3RP in ArmA 3?

Are you interested in trying this concept out yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

you were the one to reply first, so you tell me?

sorry, I will not criticize the way you post ever again and instead resort to just using the funny dumb rating like usual. I apologize for trying to let you see things more clearly

you're not making anyone see anything clearly all you did was make my post into something bigger for no reason at all but your own personal ego

Reactions: List

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Hijacking my own thread back, the argument on voice versus text is not a major point here. The intent we have is vastly different.

When it comes to roleplay, my idea is more so to base it around your character, above all. I want people to be immersed in a world that reached a boiling point and act it out as a person living in this world. I understand that forcing lore down anyone's throat will not work in this game, the environment is decisive.

I'm still doing some research how other concepts in our league (DayZ RP, TakLife...) have pulled it off and then draw my conclusions. But I will put a lot of thought into it.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Hijacking my own thread back, the argument on voice versus text is not a major point here. The intent we have is vastly different.

When it comes to roleplay, my idea is more so to base it around your character, above all. I want people to be immersed in a world that reached a boiling point and act it out as a person living in this world. I understand that forcing lore down anyone's throat will not work in this game, the environment is decisive.

I'm still doing some research how other concepts in our league (DayZ RP, TakLife...) have pulled it off and then draw my conclusions. But I will put a lot of thought into it.
other than dayzrp I havent ever seen a genuine, serious rp on arma
taki life/altis life is basically darkrp and island life stuff was basically perp
it doesnt seem like youre shooting for semi serious, which is why I think the idea is pretty rough and probably wont work out

I think dayzrp was able to pull it off by requiring you to have a justified, developed reason to do pvp, otherwise it was just restricted to pve in all cases. cant really do that for a military rp

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
taki life/altis life is basically darkrp and island life stuff was basically perp
it doesnt seem like youre shooting for semi serious, which is why I think the idea is pretty rough and probably wont work out

I think dayzrp was able to pull it off by requiring you to have a justified, developed reason to do pvp, otherwise it was just restricted to pve in all cases. cant really do that for a military rp

Yep exactly. As mentioned in OP, it's something novel, something very experimental. I'll take my time on research and then we work with something.

At best, it'll work. At worst, we'll have lots of fun with PVP :)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae

I dunno, it definitely sounds like it's possible. Just because you're used to something being one way doesn't inherently mean that it cannot be better.

If something like DayZ RP servers can be serious with voice, I see no reason why military sim can't.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I dunno, it definitely sounds like it's possible. Just because you're used to something being one way doesn't inherently mean that it cannot be better.

If something like DayZ RP servers can be serious with voice, I see no reason why military sim can't.

If anything those communities who do military roleplay (not necessarily milsim per se either) are far more serious and strict than any other RP community I've seen, though of course there's no absolute necessity to be hardcore at all.

The focus of any game should be fun and to keep it that way realism and simulation has to be balanced with ease of access and loosening of some of the seriousness.

It's possible for it to work but it won't if people expect Gmod's WW3RP but on a bigger map and with more guns. I am pretty sure that's not what North is aiming for here.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
mfw a friendly suggestion turns into a blind shot

cant have shit on neb

It’s a little silly to judge people on their hobbies lmao

Unless it wasn't obvious, I was not calling your thing a "blind shot", and nobody is judging people on their hobbies

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Don't really see the point in the argument of it, it's sort of a repeat of when we announced GTA.

If it goes ahead it'll be whatever it'll be, there's no point in creating something in a way that you dislike just to please others.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I thought we considered Arma a long time ago only to pass up on it because of how vague Bohemia Interactive's position was on monetization where the risk wasn't really worth it.

I voted no because I feel like at this point, in this community, the WW3 setting (just like HL2) has been milked to death and I don't think it would have a very long shelf-life in this community. People will clamor for something, maybe reasonable server pop for the first week then it's just nose dive population-wise, winding up to be a complete waste of time and effort. I want to see something actually new for the community, not just a rehash of what has already been done here.

My other concerns are things like PKs, are they going to be the same as HL2RP/Current WW3 where some chode will take an OOC problem, find a way to turn it into an IC one, and PK a character you put a bunch of time into, or is it going to be like GTA where it's a personal choice when/where to PK? What about in-character punishments or I guess the general atmosphere we're going for here? From what I've gathered in discussions here, there's been a lot of pushback against serious punishments for serious crimes, are we going for an actual, properly serious angle here or is it just going to be GTA with a milsim paint job on top?

Lastly, is the SD going to actually be active? Cause uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah that's been an issue. Non-existent presence and private reports going unaddressed and forced to go public because the SD is just not around to actually address issues is a bit of an issue.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I thought we considered Arma a long time ago only to pass up on it because of how vague Bohemia Interactive's position was on monetization where the risk wasn't really worth it.

I voted no because I feel like at this point, in this community, the WW3 setting (just like HL2) has been milked to death and I don't think it would have a very long shelf-life in this community. People will clamor for something, maybe reasonable server pop for the first week then it's just nose dive population-wise, winding up to be a complete waste of time and effort. I want to see something actually new for the community, not just a rehash of what has already been done here.

My other concerns are things like PKs, are they going to be the same as HL2RP/Current WW3 where some chode will take an OOC problem, find a way to turn it into an IC one, and PK a character you put a bunch of time into, or is it going to be like GTA where it's a personal choice when/where to PK? What about in-character punishments or I guess the general atmosphere we're going for here? From what I've gathered in discussions here, there's been a lot of pushback against serious punishments for serious crimes, are we going for an actual, properly serious angle here or is it just going to be GTA with a milsim paint job on top?

Lastly, is the SD going to actually be active? Cause uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah that's been an issue. Non-existent presence and private reports going unaddressed and forced to go public because the SD is just not around to actually address issues is a bit of an issue.

I'd make it more GTA-like specially considering engagements will be numerous. Imho PKs should only come for things like war crimes or stuff like that (which is more possible here). WW3 is a very vague thing, the story and lore can be anything, so while it's somehow "milked" I think it can work.

However, whatever comparison we want to make here with anything Gmod related makes no real sense as we are just now exploring this.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

The Bohemia Monetization model is not as big of a problem, the current idea is to accept donations only but be ready to qualify for monetization after all. Once we are qualified, we're good.

I ask you to read up on some of the discussions we've had here, the WW3 setting was a mere way to refer to faction versus faction gameplay. There is a major difference between anything on Garry's Mod and Arma too.

PKs will most likely be used merely for intense situations where it's logical that a character finds its end. This is nothing we've thought of so far though, so far it's just a concept.

Finally, no I hate nebulous dot cloud and will only SD this to manipulate the hivemind

To clear it up for the rest of the thread on the topic of WW3RP, the differences are major between this and Gmod - the game is literally made for this kind of gameplay and the only thing we truly need to make work is good PVP & Roleplay. It'll be a tough nut to crack, as Arma has historically been more semi-serious in roleplay and only had Milsim, but I'm sure there's a way to make it fun for all!

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
So

the big question

ACRE or TFAR

and if ACRE ( the correct choice!! ), babel, or no babel

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester