News Awakening - Coronation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Molecule
Nebulae
The point stands though - are you telling me nobody thought to flag up on their rebel and scope out the political scene to report back in this finale? Or consider that there's a Senator captured (admittedly off-screen) that can tie into future events?
Can't really say much as I wasn't home for some time really, you are talking to the wrong man since I was in my base for almost a month. I joined like a few hours ago and started to do stuff on Mobombo, aside from that I dont pay attention anymore

Reactions: List
Nebulae
I dunno frankly, this just makes me think we're beyond the stage of people being able to have any sort of passive wrapup to anything.

If its not action, its bad.

no the speech was great, thats not the problem, i really enjoyed it personally and its spawned great RP both during and in the aftermath on my end

the problem was that it just came out of left field for 90% of the people who werent involved with CAB shit

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
Look at old events were, examples, Bitter lake, White forrest, Contact 5, learn from that.
Having pretty much worked on all expect for Contact 5, I'll tell you now how difficult it was to get the Resistance to do anything when we provided them with objectives or tasks to complete within the event. If I'm not mistaken (@Dallas feel free to correct me on this), orders and tasks were met with the resounding questions of 'what's in it for me?' most of the time.

When the only incentive that resistance members had was what they'd get in return for their actions, it's something that is out of our hands. We can't exactly force players at gunpoint to do rebellious activities. We can sure as hell facilitate, but even once we've facilitated resistance activities we've had complaints in the past of the rewards not being on-par with what resources were used up.

We're happy to try and help the resistance movement grow but it has to be a two-way street as far as I'm concerned.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Doesn't change the fact that this was an anticlimactic, boring end to a week of "build up".

btw I main CAB and a rank 00 CP. Even if there was combat, I wouldn't be a part of it.
So you main factions that do more RP than S2K

Literally got a catered event for each of your characters this week

But can't stomach a passive end that shifts the lore and such forward???

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Because thats really all people seem to get interested in, Afric. Look at the majority of 100 slotters; the past two got complaints for being mostly passive and people getting by.

Look at the only part of the event where people got downright disrespectful and OOCly shitty - it was when people threatened to quit in LOOC if they didn't get ammo.
it's really not and if you think that it's only because rebels have been forced into the mindset of "le kill cops & conscript when 120 slotter" due to the fact the majority of 120 slotters so far on helix havent involved very much variety in sub-events for rebels

don't want them to complain about using scripts? don't make them use scripts, you're saying about passive events and the like but from what i've read it was a convoy ambush and a kidnapping, not exactly passive

Saint

Electron
Nebulae
Having assisted on all expect for Contact 5, I'll tell you now how difficult it was to get the Resistance to do anything when we provided them with objectives or tasks to complete within the event. If I'm not mistaken (@Dallas feel free to correct me on this), orders and tasks were met with the resounding questions of 'what's in it for me?' most of the time.

When the only incentive that resistance members had what they'd get in return for their actions, it's something that is out of our hands. We can't exactly force players at gunpoint to do rebellious activities. We can sure as hell facilitate, but even once we've facilitated resistance activities we've had complaints in the past of the rewards not being on-par with what resources were used up.

We're happy to try and help the resistance movement grow but it has to be a two-way street as far as I'm concerned.
Make it clear in the events that the rebels won't be compensated then. Do a notice prior to the event or in a thread 'You may not be compensated for any ammo,armor, etc you choose to use in the event.' @PRICE done this for his event and I did it for mine. If people want to go in with mentality of getting something, tell it to them straight-up they won't.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
it's really not and if you think that it's only because rebels have been forced into the mindset of "le kill cops & conscript when 120 slotter" due to the fact the majority of 120 slotters so far on helix havent involved very much variety in sub-events for rebels

don't want them to complain about using scripts? don't make them use scripts, you're saying about passive events and the like but from what i've read it was a convoy ambush and a kidnapping, not exactly passive
No, but every prior event where they had a mixture of action and passive (as 99% of CW events did too) they hated the passive and complained they were bored. That was literally why Awakening 1 got an extra day added.

At the end of the day, catering for rebels is difficult unless the event is aimed at them, because I genuinely don't think you could sit them through a passive event and not have them flag off if they didn't think they'd go out to shoot shit later.

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
But can't stomach a passive end that shifts the lore and such forward???
Never said that, I said that this was a boring end to an event which was being built up for a week.

Every time criticism was thrown at the event, the response was always "dude this is just build up.... finale on sunday!", but now that the event is over, anyone who criticizes it is just a minge who wants scripts and gametracker points

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Never said that, I said that this was a boring end to an event which was being built up for a week.

Every time criticism was thrown at the event, the response was always "dude this is just build up.... finale on sunday!", but now that the event is over, anyone who criticizes it is just a minge who wants scripts and gametracker points
Literally nobody said that though.

It was pointed out that they were trying to focus on a faction a night and that it would build up to the end, Sunday. People expected some big action-packed ending which is the shittiest stereotype for an event ending given most of them do end that way. Yes, the rebel shit didn't get tied up because 99% of the server was in the plaza and there was no point trying to force people to flag up.

Its very difficult to tie something like this into a satisfying end when it is worldbuilding that doesn't end in chaos and shooting and a map swap. That is ultimately what people expected but that was never the point. Can't there just be a set of conflicts around something that pushes the narrative without it being a nuke or whatever on the final day for "woah big shiny points!!"?

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
No, but every prior event where they had a mixture of action and passive (as 99% of CW events did too) they hated the passive and complained they were bored. That was literally why Awakening 1 got an extra day added.

At the end of the day, catering for rebels is difficult unless the event is aimed at them, because I genuinely don't think you could sit them through a passive event and not have them flag off if they didn't think they'd go out to shoot shit later.
Not true at all, distinctly remember that I had a blast at the depot event when a bunch of rebels stayed on the event server to have a yarn and a bbq, passive doesn't always mean lack of action or fun, it's just a case of the quality of the event. If the event isn't good, people won't enjoy it and will become bored.

I think the majority of good rebels, the people who put time and effort into the faction would give everything they possess to have the same level of intrigue in their rp as CAB has now. It's a strawman to say that rebels would flag off, so please don't stoop to that.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It's a strawman to say that rebels would flag off, so please don't stoop to that.
My frustration is a passive end to an event that tried something new was met with "It was just speeches and a parade lol" - which was always what was advertised.

I cannot name a single 110 slotter that tried something like this before and it is telling that it was given a negative response by people who didn't like that the ending wasn't some big "bang" to compliment the fact that there were conflicts and clashes surrounding the ending rather than being the ending.

Saint

Electron
Nebulae
Literally nobody said that though.

It was pointed out that they were trying to focus on a faction a night and that it would build up to the end, Sunday. People expected some big action-packed ending which is the shittiest stereotype for an event ending given most of them do end that way. Yes, the rebel shit didn't get tied up because 99% of the server was in the plaza and there was no point trying to force people to flag up.

Its very difficult to tie something like this into a satisfying end when it is worldbuilding that doesn't end in chaos and shooting and a map swap. That is ultimately what people expected but that was never the point. Can't there just be a set of conflicts around something that pushes the narrative without it being a nuke or whatever on the final day for "woah big shiny points!!"?
There was still space for something to push the narrative on the rebel side without it having to devolve into a massive conflict, yes, there was 99% of the player base in the plaza but that doesn't mean that there couldn't have been something else done for the rebels. Maybe that 1% who were playing rebels could have been sent to learn some info and stuff that would have taken only 2-3 event staff to pull off. It could have tied into the next event, what's actually going on, or hell even the previous event to provide context. That is still considered worldbuilding with a conflict.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
There was still space for something to push the narrative on the rebel side without it having to devolve into a massive conflict, yes, there was 99% of the player base in the plaza but that doesn't mean that there couldn't have been something else done for the rebels. Maybe that 1% who were playing rebels could have been sent to learn some info and stuff that would have taken only 2-3 event staff to pull off. It could have tied into the next event, what's actually going on, or hell even the previous event to provide context. That is still considered worldbuilding with a conflict.
Sure, maybe, but that seems like less of the bulk of the complaint (from most) compared to the ending itself was the problem, and that is what annoys me.

Even if Rebels had of gotten some brief bit of closure, the main problem people have is that the ending wasn't some big action-packed set-piece.

Saint

Electron
Nebulae
Sure, maybe, but that seems like less of the bulk of the complaint (from most) compared to the ending itself was the problem, and that is what annoys me.
There was no problem to the ending itself, unless I'm mistaken a majority of the complaints are the lack of putting things together for the finale. A speech and passive ending with good tension built into it was great, the main ending itself was great. But the build-up to it was non-existant, the opportunity of there being a main Union ending and a side mini-rebel ending wasn't there. Yes, I know there was a lot of factors built into it but that doesn't excuse it.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
i'm serious

finally fucking cleaning up aisle 6 is a great thing to witness and i wish they got banned for 4 days if not more for fucking around in such a text-heavy event

purge all retards, for the watch

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
There was no problem to the ending itself, unless I'm mistaken a majority of the complaints are the lack of putting things together for the finale. A speech and passive ending with good tension built into it was great, the main ending itself was great. But the build-up to it was non-existant, the opportunity of there being a main Union ending and a side mini-rebel ending wasn't there. Yes, I know there was a lot of factors built into it but that doesn't excuse it.
I've seen several prominently-nebbed posts basically boil down to "what a boring ending for what the buildup was".

There was buildup - but it tied into side-events to the main event rather than the main event itself. The buildup was always towards Sunday but the focus was off of following the trend of letting rebels just bust in and kick down to the door to the main shebang. The main thrust was the worldbuilding and what this sets up for the future.

I cannot imagine how demotivating it must be for the people who made this to try and do something different only to have posts literally saying "what a let down" because the end wasn't a fight. People can say that isn't what they mean - but some of you, yeah, that is exactly what your posts are insinuating.

You had an actiony week and wanted more action.

Saint

Electron
Nebulae
I've seen several prominently-nebbed posts basically boil down to "what a boring ending for what the buildup was".

There was buildup - but it tied into side-events to the main event rather than the main event itself. The buildup was always towards Sunday but the focus was off of following the trend of letting rebels just bust in and kick down to the door to the main shebang. The main thrust was the worldbuilding and what this sets up for the future.

I cannot imagine how demotivating it must be for the people who made this to try and do something different only to have posts literally saying "what a let down" because the end wasn't a fight. People can say that isn't what they mean - but some of you, yeah, that is exactly what your posts are insinuating.

You had an actiony week and wanted more action.
That's the thing though, you can take away the kicking down the door and still worldbuild to set up the future but imo it went too far in the other direction. Yes, there are people who are disappointed that the ending wasn't some huge action-packed fight but that is inevitable when you take into account wanting to do something different, that's simply the price to pay.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Bitter lake - literally had no cops in it until the very end
It literally did.

They stormed some beach on day 2 and I shot at them myself from the opposite beach.

Are you saying those people weren't units and were instead just civvies who happened to have found cop uniforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.