News Awakening - Coronation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
Boring to interact with and uninteresting to roleplay with, i'm not speaking from some objective standard, obviously, i can only speak from experience and what i've observed and heard from others.

i thought it'd be obvious that i'm stating an opinion based from my own perspective and experience
Sure, I concede that. Just that it seemed like a statement of fact, like many others seem to try about completely subjective matters.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
because actually and unironically liking the combine and their goals is a surefire way of writing a boring uninteresting character
I don't think I've ever seen a character to who really thought combine was good, full stop no questions.
I mean, I've made two characters so far who wholeheartedly adore the 'Combine', the most prominent one being Zeke Wilson. It's a matter of how you approach making a character who actually likes the Combine. If you put no effort in and it just be a case of "combine good rebellion bad" yeah, of course it's gonna be a flat character.

However, if you do something like I did, where you have a character is on the younger side of life and thereby would've been in the child camps, it becomes more plausible to say you like the Union because realistically those camps would've been used to indoctrinate those kids and brainwash them to believe the Union was there to save them, which you can then use to create an interesting character.

Zeke was brainwashed and believed the Union were akin to god and that they were to be worshipped and that they could do no wrong, but even then if I'd kept that up the entire time ofc he'd have been a shit character. It's about remaining Human and sometimes questioning your beliefs. For example, when Zeke's best friend Will got euthanized by UIL and he was told about this, he literally broke down in the alleyway behind Baltic and laid there crying until someone from UM spotted him and ran over to comfort him.

It's about depth, your love for the Union being more than just irrational love no matter what, you're not OTA after all. If you can do that, you can make a character that's deep and realistic whilst adoring the Union.

Reactions: List

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Sure, I concede that. Just that it seemed like a statement of fact, like many others seem to try about completely subjective matters.
i think it'd be hard for anyone to make a statement of fact regarding something so tied to personal tastes like what characters you find boring and what characters you find uninteresting

D

Deleted member 1435

While I agree black-and-white has proclivity to be boring, many people completely omit that whether something is bad or good is only the 'what', you still have the 'how' which makes it interesting. How many countless stories you have where theres a clear cut good guy and clear cut bad guy and yet they aren't boring at all?

It's not a dealbreaker or maker whether you have black/white contrast of characters or a gradient of complex characters, it's a mere puzzle piece.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think it does heavily depend on how those pieces are used, ultimately.

Regardless of "old lore vs new lore" nobody can deny that the current trend of the server has been a boon to not only the playercount but the longevity of things. It has opened a lot of doors and paved the way for fantastic stuff that just weren't possible before. We don't need to swap maps as much (five changes in a year in 2016) and we're getting 70 people on weekdays, something that literally only happened during the early parts of C24.

All in all, it is literally about execution and enhancing whats already there. Nobody is going to trample the work people put into things, least of all BQ.

D

Deleted member 1435

I think it does heavily depend on how those pieces are used, ultimately.

Regardless of "old lore vs new lore" nobody can deny that the current trend of the server has been a boon to not only the playercount but the longevity of things. It has opened a lot of doors and paved the way for fantastic stuff that just weren't possible before. We don't need to swap maps as much (five changes in a year in 2016) and we're getting 70 people on weekdays, something that literally only happened during the early parts of C24.

All in all, it is literally about execution and enhancing whats already there. Nobody is going to trample the work people put into things, least of all BQ.
312.jpg

I honestly don't understand at all why would you think so and disagree.

Are you honestly exalting playercount as our best trait? It's our lowest low in terms of activity, combined with massive stagnation of late summer, with start of school semesters and autumn, it's lowest of the low. Anyone who I ask I know personally is reluctant to join due to low numbers since, why bother join RP server when you have noone to RP with. (Not to mention, those numbers you cite are literally caused by CAB events and even when they are exceptions, not the 'average peak playercount per day'.)

I don't see the fantastic stuff that wasn't possible before, no positive ones anyway. What it did enable is people to ransack HL2's plot elements, something which was unheard of few years ago, giving birth to such incredibly wrong things like kleiner's teleporter in the underground, all this stupid shit with rebels having nuclear bombs, all this CAB bullshit involving cities declaring war on each other and invading amongst many other.

It's not only about execution. The plan we had was cursed, and the game was rigged from the start, we started off on the wrong trajectory I believe which only sank lower.

Instead of being content and self-patting ourselves on the back, which I don't see why we would, we need to actually work harder than ever before on lore, faction co-existance, faction lore, faction mechanics, splits in server identity, failure of staff team to enforce authorizations over something as simple as a script (IC bombs and shit), amongst countless other issues that conspire to send our playercount to the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I honestly don't understand at all why would you think so and disagree.

Are you honestly exalting playercount as our best trait? It's our lowest low in terms of activity, combined with massive stagnation of late summer, with start of school semesters and autumn, it's lowest of the low. Anyone who I ask I know personally is reluctant to join due to low numbers since, why bother join RP server when you have noone to RP with.
Because I was SD before you even joined the community and I cannot tell you how close we came multiple times to outright dying. We started off great - but then we had multiple huge dips because RebelRP was dead in the water and the majority of people played nothing but rebels. We were forced to swap maps five times in as many months to try and draw people back. This repeated every month and a half for the next three years, with the mild exception of C24 and during event periods. Otherwise? We dropped. We tanked, and we tanked hard.

People don't like to hear it because they don't like the direction we decided to go with Helix and it isn't their cup of tea (or want to somehow prove "Helix killed HL2RP"), but somehow "70 players on a wednesday night is bad" or that even sixty is bad, but the numbers don't lie. We'd be down to 20-30 people at peak times on weekends every so often and we'd be forced to drag out a map switch to try and keep people happy.

I cannot tell you the last time we spent three months on a map without seriously worrying. That was the reality of CW, that was something I came to accept within the first six months of it.

We were not doing this well in the first year of CW compared to now. That is a fact.

I don't see the fantastic stuff that wasn't possible before, no positive ones anyway. What it did enable is people to ransack HL2's plot elements, something which was unheard of few years ago, giving birth to such incredibly wrong things like kleiner's teleporter in the underground, all this stupid shit with rebels having nuclear bombs, all this CAB bullshit involving cities declaring war on each other and invading amongst many other.

It's not only about execution. The plan we had was cursed, and the game was rigged from the start, we started off on the wrong trajectory I believe which only sank lower.
We've ransacked HL2 since LP. We've done shit like this since LP. This is absolutely no different - actually this is remarkably tamer than what we did both on LP and CW.

I get why certain people want to try and use this event to jackknife the lore back to the way it was, and they've made no bones about saying so - but if you genuinely, honestly cannot look beyond your nostalgia to the frequent map swaps and dead-in-the-water playercounts CW suffered from for most of its early life and see that people are more engaged now than ever. Yeah, I get the fact you and others don't like the moral grey but it literally took events to make the kind of engagement we've seen since launch.

I'm patting myself on the back because unlike CW, RebelRP being in a pit doesn't kill the server.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
lp and cw both butchered the "hl2 lore" if such a thing even exists. there's no uu food, malnourishment, trauma sensors, proselytes, loyalist systems, or convoluted cab systems in the base game. cops don't work the way we say they do, ota don't work the way they say we do, vortigaunts don't work the way we say they do - it's a fanfic. an adaptation. a thing based off a game.

wipe the shit out yer eyes. there has never been a point throughout this community or lemonpunch where the "hl2 lore" was respected, let alone followed. what we're doing now is so much more tame and in accordance with the "hl2 lore".

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
why are we talking about this in an event announcement

shouldnt we be happy
Because apparently me going "Hey, please don't doubt this guys, we're in a better spot than we used to be and I doubt anyone would want to run riot over that, have some faith" was met with "NO ITS SHIT, WE'RE DOING TERRIBLE, WE WENT ENTIRELY WRONG".

I'm looking forward to this but it is painfully clear some people want to use this event to wipe the slate clean, not enhance what is already there.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae

shit and arguments notwithstanding,

i am very happy with this series and i want to extend my eternal gratitude and love to @Blackquill for putting so much time and effort into writing things for us all to enjoy

: D

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Seriously, this (fuck you Lucid I was pointing at Dee) ^

People who unironically think this is some secret plan to wipe everything are whack, and I'm looking forward to this.

D

Deleted member 1435

Because I was SD before you even joined the community and I cannot tell you how close we came multiple times to outright dying. We started off great - but then we had multiple huge dips because RebelRP was dead in the water and the majority of people played nothing but rebels. We were forced to swap maps five times in as many months to try and draw people back. This repeated every month and a half for the next three years, with the mild exception of C24 and during event periods. Otherwise? We dropped. We tanked, and we tanked hard.

Since I joined, in August 2016, throughout the year and next one, I can't recall any dips in RebelRP that were nearly as bad as what we have right now.
The map changes were never about rebelRP complaining or playercount death but by simple popular demand of people getting bored of the map, I believe if we had the same activity as back then on server we would also have people clamoring for map change right now (already we had one).

People don't like to hear it because they don't like the direction we decided to go with Helix and it isn't their cup of tea (or want to somehow prove "Helix killed HL2RP"), but somehow "70 players on a wednesday night is bad" or that even sixty is bad, but the numbers don't lie. We'd be down to 20-30 people at peak times on weekends every so often and we'd be forced to drag out a map switch to try and keep people happy.

I don't blame Helix as a framework at all, (outside of the known issue with drop in server rankings due to name change), I blame things i cited in my post.

I don't understand what are you trying to say, we'd be down to 20-30 people if what? If we stayed on CW or if we had the same lore/rules/enviroment as back on CW? Cause I disagree with both, completely.

I cannot tell you the last time we spent three months on a map without seriously worrying. That was the reality of CW, that was something I came to accept within the first six months of it.

More activity, more people, more people clamoring for a map change due to being bored due to spending so much time on the map, due to said activity. I don't see what you're trying to credit as to have stopped map change desire either, and I'm 100% sure it's simply less people playing, and the map-change-demand being a mere fad (to which high activity contributed) that died.

We've ransacked HL2 since LP. We've done shit like this since LP. This is absolutely no different - actually this is remarkably tamer than what we did both on LP and CW.
I don't care at all about LP, I think the order of things from 2016-17 CW was the best one. Please recall one thing from that era that was ransacked from HL2.

I get why certain people want to try and use this event to jackknife the lore back to the way it was, and they've made no bones about saying so - but if you genuinely, honestly cannot look beyond your nostalgia to the frequent map swaps and dead-in-the-water playercounts CW suffered from for most of its early life and see that people are more engaged now than ever. Yeah, I get the fact you and others don't like the moral grey but it literally took events to make the kind of engagement we've seen since launch.

Yes I can look past nostalgia goggles, the issues are so glaring my eyes hurt yet people still will like to proclaim 'nostalgia goggles' or strawman us as 'muh dystopia' or whatever.

I do like moral grey, I don't complain about that. What I do complain is the manner which it was introduced, with subtlety of a hammer and essentially swinging the pendulum more so to morally white.

Finally, one brutal truth of life, effort, no matter how huge, does not justify something as being right. Maybe people worked hard, maybe they realy cared and put insane amounts of effort, and praise to them, but that does not guarantee that outcome of said effort would be great or even good.

D

Deleted member 1435

lp and cw both butchered the "hl2 lore" if such a thing even exists. there's no uu food, malnourishment, trauma sensors, proselytes, loyalist systems, or convoluted cab systems in the base game. cops don't work the way we say they do, ota don't work the way they say we do, vortigaunts don't work the way we say they do - it's a fanfic. an adaptation. a thing based off a game.

wipe the shit out yer eyes. there has never been a point throughout this community or lemonpunch where the "hl2 lore" was respected, let alone followed. what we're doing now is so much more tame and in accordance with the "hl2 lore".

You don't understand whatsoever what we mean by 'butchering hl2 lore'.

Status
Not open for further replies.