Serious Bring Back WW3RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
During the LemonPunch era I felt that WW3RP was getting out of balance, and looking back at BnT this was clearly not a new issue:

"I'm sure on the first day we would have lead a few patrols, and had a few engagements. The big issue that always came up was the shoot to miss policy. Bascially people could use these weapons to shoot clear across the map and kill people, and so policing that was a nightmare."
Interview with Brawler

In the balance between deathmatching and roleplay, efforts were made to protect the serious roleplay angle of the gamemode from day 1.

My experience of the LemonPunch culture years later was that one faction would take an aggressive stance, and as a result the second faction would take a defensive stance. The more defensive the second faction got, the more aggressive the first faction became, which produced a cycle of competitiveness that would end up hurting roleplay.

"Alpha patrol headed east of base to check for movement, mines, and firearms. Alpha recovered a lost item in the eastern pond and returned to base with nothing to report. All members followed orders satisfactorily."
Report 11

Part of the motivation for patrols at the time were to create short roleplay stories to engage players with, especially new players. Was a local area cleared of mines? Under friendly control? Littered with abandoned firearms to recover? Each member could be given individual instructions, and I think roleplay thrives on the little interactive parts like that.

The good conduct of patrol members in these roleplay moments were noted in short field reports with the names of characters involved for future reference in promotion applications/recommendations. Poor conduct simply gave an opportunity for further on-base roleplay after getting back to base.

Over time I felt the competitiveness eroding the serious roleplay culture of the playerbase, which in turn gave rise to an increase to all the inside jokes being shared in OOC chat.

When I made the LemonPunch 2014 montage video I kept a strict aspect ratio of 16:9, but when it came to the 2015 montage a lot of the content was letterboxed because I was cutting out so many memes from the screenshots. The increase in memes over time were a clear symptom of the problem in my opinion(not that I'm against memes, I just didn't want them in the serious montages).

I'd written a few posts over the years like conservatism in firefights out of that concern that things were getting unbalanced. The use of teamspeak as an in-character channel was becoming more prominent, and in later years I felt that patrols were little more than a few players looking to get kills.

Some particular people involved were getting frustrated, and they didn't always channel thier passion for the gamemode constructively, but I trusted their intentions. I thought it was a shame that they seemed unappreciated, or outright unwelcome.

People with genuinely selfish intentions enjoyed the fact that the staff were lenient. I do think leniency and forgiveness are good things, but I felt the culture had taken a wrong turn, and the thing that makes the server different from every other FPS experience was the serious roleplay aspect which was being lost.

The roleplay structure was partly broken, off-base roleplay seemed to disappear, the immersion suffered, new roleplayers weren't finding roleplay to engage with, and the motivation for old roleplayers must have been thinning.

I'm not surprised if there were very few people left in the end, my motivation to connect to the server had run out long ago. Finding balance in a gamemode like this is difficult, but there's clearly a lot of people still interested in its potential.

I'd love to see a slow paced WW3RP server again, even if it wasn't realistic. Something that might attract new roleplayers, and give them an environment to grow in. The occasional Generations event could spice things up.

I spent so long advocating for roleplay that I imagine people think I don't like deathmatching. I actually enjoy deathmatching. I won a Counter-Strike LAN tournament in 2003. I think you can generate roleplay from some deathmatching in WW3RP, it's fun to be in a battle, but when it comes to roleplay I think you have to stick to the goal-orientation of the firefights being done with roleplay in mind.

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
Tfw not enough staff helping with the final events,
Small group of staff have to write a final rp document instead because everyone has gone radio silent,
See staff respond to the confession thread quicker than the staff section,
Only like three people STAFF* respond to rp document development in 24 hours.

ww3 forums disappear next day.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:

Rondal

And whole beasts of nations desire power
Nebulae
Tfw not enough staff helping with the final events,
Small group of staff have to write a final rp document instead because everyone has gone radio silent,
See staff respond to the confession thread quicker than the staff section,
Only like three people STAFF* respond to rp document development in 24 hours.

ww3 forums disappear next day.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
That was a key part in its downfall - but understandable all the same.

Perhaps if there were some form of order to the closure, the ending of WW3 would've looked a little less dicey (it was incredibly fractured). There were grand plans from staff members such as @char which never saw fruition, which is a shame because those endings were unique in setting and composure.

I find it a shame that the idea of bringing back WW3 was toted by someone who was more of a plague of irritance and who barely represented the gamemode, in both suitability and capability. It wouldn't matter though, as world war three lacks its core component to success, that being something unique whilst offering entertaining gun play. There's an obvious limit to how much we can do with the gamemode, and we've lately hit it as the amount of Garry's mod maps added that we haven't used decays.

Accepting that the gamemode has no means to be sustainable if brought back is a way to allow for change, whilst I don't see half-life two roleplay as something that entices me, I look forward to possible new servers that Nebulous now has the space for with the gap left behind by world war three.

I'll be the latest to admit it wasn't the smartest thing to do, meh.

Reactions: List

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
Base laws tended to be ignored and the discipline was pretty much non-existent due to SCOs and COs being bad examples. The military police was more or less only acting on serious situations and that lead to a lot of meme culture to appear
whenever I was a MP/VP/whatever I always always tried to enforce base laws and regulations but it became harder and harder each lore reset and as time went on people either took me less seriously or the base laws became harder to find

UkuP

Proton
Nebulae
Base laws tended to be ignored and the discipline was pretty much non-existent due to SCOs and COs being bad examples. The military police was more or less only acting on serious situations and that lead to a lot of meme culture to appear.
Indeed. I was in MPs for over a year and I was trying to keep the serious behavior at all times. When dealing with unserious people (ICly and OOCly) punishing them and so on, as a result to that I often got messaged "stiff arse" and stuff like that. I was pretty much hated.
So I assume higher ranks (SCOs and COs) wanted to be more liked, so they kept friendly relations with the ranks below, by allowing this "lack of discipline".

Lynx

Dig Down, and find faith.
Nebulae
I remember there were three separate occasions where you broke down into actual IRL tears because of how the WW3 community treated you.

Do you really want that back? @Jello

Lynx

Nebulae
ironic
dont be an asshole
I may gave got upset at times, but I don't ever remember being put into actual tears; if a community can bo so toxic as to do that to him, why would he ever want that back?

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
I may gave got upset at times, but I don't ever remember being put into actual tears; if a community can bo so toxic as to do that to him, why would he ever want that back?
First of, Jello is like 14 and not an adult, unlike you.
Second of, you're just an asshole for calling him out like that.
Third of, the whole premise of this thread was already 'if it were to comeback, the toxic people (+others) would be banned'.

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
lets settle down gamers

I really don't think WW3RP would be worth bringing back anyways since:

• About 2 thirds of the staff team have proven to be cunts in the confess thread
  • There are much better concepts and settings to explore with an RP server than WW3
  • It proved to be more S2K than RP unless the entire staff team centralized around making it otherwise and that was a rare occasion with events

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
  • About 2 thirds of the staff team have proven to be cunts in the confess thread
  • It proved to be more S2K than RP unless the entire staff team centralized around making it otherwise and that was a rare occasion with events
Both of which have little to do with the gamemode itself. I mentioned that if we were to bring back ww3rp or something similar it'd need a large cleaning playerbase-wise and more harsh restrictions.

There are much better concepts and settings to explore with an RP server than WW3

You mean starwarsRP, falloutRP and/or cyberpunkRP? All of which will be plagued with the same issues if the above two points are present.

Now, don't take me wrong and assume that we're bringing back a second server just by discussing it in this thread. I always quite liked the concept of MilitaryRP and things such as CityRP, hence why we were tinkering with the idea of having a Military-themed roleplay server set against the background of an ongoing conflict, but with the main focus on the civilian population and what remains of a local city/government in the midst of a struggle between armed forces.
Which isn't necessarily hard to accomplish seeing as most elements are present but just need to be reworked, getting rid of the patrol-based combat structure is a first if anything like that were to be done. Instead, it'd be centered around a local community where people can employ themselves, create their own groups and aquire goods through crafting, trading, scavenging etc, with the main military faction(s) being a more restricted version of what they were and serving as both nemesis and entity to interact with.

At least that was the concept for a potential reform were we to continue into Helix, I toyed with it every now and then to see if we could get some stuff working on the dev server but that's about all it is at the moment.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
wouldn't mind some some 'this war of mine' styled roleplay personally

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
Yeah if I remember correctly someone was talking about WW3RP but more like This War Of Mine with the war a backdrop.

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
Yeah if I remember correctly someone was talking about WW3RP but more like This War Of Mine with the war a backdrop.

Yes, that is more or less what we've pointed out as what a potential reform would be throughout this thread and what we were working on for Helix back when WW3RP was up.

Lynx

Nebulae
First of, Jello is like 14 and not an adult, unlike you.
Second of, you're just an asshole for calling him out like that.
Third of, the whole premise of this thread was already 'if it were to comeback, the toxic people (+others) would be banned'.
Calling him out on what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.