Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
M3UdJUS.png

Doomer
If this is a reference to hl2rp I don’t get it

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
Hello friend, this is pretty alright for a first try.

If you're new to digital art there's a big difference to doing things traditionally. A big part of what makes stuff easier is being able to be sloppy as hell on sub-layers and then just... getting rid of them.

Specifically there's some weird stylistic choices that just don't work out here. If you want to keep them they need to be more refined and pronounced. Things like a beaky nose, bushy eyelashes but barely any eyebrows. The eyes are a pretty generic simple anime style. Everything else works pretty alright.

The big detractor here is the linework itself. A scratchy brush and inconsistent line opacity and thickness make it look very uncertain. Not to say scratchy and messy art is inherently bad. In fact, my own art style is moving towards that, but it's a very deliberate scratchiness in my case. In this case it's pretty clear you've bulked up the jawline to hide the odd shape. That extra padding helps hide your mistakes. I know that because that's what I used to do.

Actually, bit of advice. Thicker lines help hide all sorts of flaws and they're great to work with when starting out.

The big deal of digital art though is you can go wild with it much easier than traditional or SFM. Mess with layers, distortion, tools, drag and drop references, smash in colours, use multiply effects, use custom brushes. Whatever.

Software I'd recommend is either Paint Tool SAI, which is a perfect tool for digital art beginners. It's crisp and clean, only has a handful of simple but effective tools, and doesn't bog you down with a complicated UI, and comes with a built-in stabiliser that'll help hide wobbly lines until you get the hang of using a tablet proper.

After that, I use Krita a lot. It's like Photoshop but actually designed for artists with tablets. When using it I'd recommend the David Revoy brushpack.

Here's an example of actually using some of these tools and techniques unique to digital art. An image I did in Paint Tool SAI, a sloppy sketch built up bit-by-bit by constructing stuff. This was made largely possible by being able to drag over references into the image and work closely with them compared to traditional media.

Start with a scrappy sketch, a vague idea that doesn't have to be neat, because you can edit this out by just hiding your layers
7f12d4a730357f0e2301717428d92ba2.png

You can use that sketchwork as a framework. No shame in retroscoping your own sketches. Experiment with it as a skeleton, do loads of layers. This lineart here is sixteen lineart layers all edited and put together to make him look just how I want. If I decide I don't like part of it I can click it away without fiddly careful erasing, and still keep it as a backup.
0b859eb2a754d5a7d746b5a8d6b5d459.png

You can even screw around and get creative with effects once you've got that down.
0bc5af2691632c8ffa837527bdce2d43.png

edit: Oh and buy an art glove. It's just helpful if you rest your hand on the tablet.
Make a drawing guide and put this into it fam

Reactions: List

>Luna

Proton
Nebulae
>comparing my "work" to this
B67H.gif
practise makes perfect brother, im self taught and went art school to get a solid portfolio down (and accidentally met/started dating @Danny on the way kek). you should have seen my work from when I first got a tablet loool, keep at it!!

Cavity

Proton
Nebulae
Here's a little project I've been working on, tell me what you think and changes that should be done. There is no lighting or editing that has been done yet.
BDCF8A3F0A5362E044CDE4342438466EF6282E2C

Last edited:
Reactions: List
Status
Not open for further replies.