Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
The sad thing is like all of those actually happened way back for those who weren't there like uS UBER OLDPALS

Fuck, who was it that did the cp spray? Wasn't it that kenny(?) dweeb? REMINISCING THREAD
ikr it sounds too fucked, all of it did happen lmao
ye, it was Kenny (bowers)

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
EJ67_bEWoAATtfj.png

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Hold up hit tha brakes dude

Have you compared it to most gaming hardware nowadays?

I'm sorry but with graphic cards costing 500€, CPUs for 400€ and RAM bundles for 100€, a piece of equipment that immerses you ingame and has many free to play games is not expensive.

It's pricey, not everyone has 300€, but in comparison to most stuff? No it isn't.
I don't know about you but I think I'd get a lot more value out of a new CPU than a VR headset. A VR headset is a very big investment for a market that is practically empty when it comes to well developed games.

Cindy

Nebulae
can you imagine a gmod-like game that did what gmod did to half-life 2 but for half-life alyx

solely so that we can make hl2rp in VR

solely so we can mingepunch with the index

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I don't know about you but I think I'd get a lot more value out of a new CPU than a VR headset. A VR headset is a very big investment for a market that is practically empty when it comes to well developed games.

There's plenty of well developed games. If by "well developed" you mean "cinematic graphics" then yeah you're right. Otherwise not the case. The VR program itself already has games to try but aside from that there's a load of fun and enjoyable games, for hours and hours of gameplay. My friend bought the VR and before this was announced I was already thinking on doing so too.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
There's plenty of well developed games. If by "well developed" you mean "cinematic graphics" then yeah you're right. Otherwise not the case. The VR program itself already has games to try but aside from that there's a load of fun and enjoyable games, for hours and hours of gameplay. My friend bought the VR and before this was announced I was already thinking on doing so too.
No, I mean games that you can get more than 15 hours out of.

I could get 6 triple A games that would last me upwards of 90 hours if not more for the price of half life alyx and a 300€ vr headset

I could get a CPU that would improve performance for my PC entirely for that price tag. It's incredibly hard to justify a purchase like this when you don't even know what you are buying because it's so new that the waters barely have been tested

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
As someone who heavily dabbles in lore for roleplay purposes, HL:A concerns me solely on the level that Laidlaw is no longer involved. I feel like this could have major impacts on how they see the world in remaking the Half-Life environment and drastically change the tone of the setting rather than add to it.

There's definitely a lot to take inspiration from (you bet I'm going to be doing that overhead cord stuff with my map, holy shit) but I'm most likely going to keep it at arm's length until I'm convinced that it's in the same realm of creativity and not like the beta content where it's a completely different animal of a setting. Call me a purist.

I'm saddened that they went with the route of building the citadels instead of warping them in. Something oh so satisfying about the idea of just opening a superportal overhead and thrusting this massive black spear into the earth.

The exoskeleton rigs overtop of striders so that they can be used as platforms is such a neat way to spin how the Combine think of bipedal accessibility as an afterthought. Wonderful.

One of the things I really liked about this though is how human the overwatch soldiers sound. One step closer to convincing roleplayers everywhere that transhumans are characters and aren't just mindless S2K tools...

Radical take: I think that, content wise and VR exclusivity aside, if this holds true to the Laidlaw brand of Half-Life, this is better than an HL3. Sure, no Gordon, no Borealis, still a huge cliffhanger after Episode 2, but what we get is a chance to go back to the heart of Half-Life 2's setting: City 17. I doubt anyone expected them to touch upon the city environment again with another installment, the very setting we as roleplayers have been dabbling in for many years, some of us as far back as 2004 roleplaying in Half-Life 2 Deathmatch.

I'm excited, anxious, disappointed, surprised, but overall curious about this new game.
apparently erik wolpaw, the guy who wrote portal and portal 2, was brought on board during the game's development to rewrite the story because it was too "low stakes" and didn't feel like half life.

Megafreak

shit medic
Nebulae
if you like rhythm games theres a whole bunch of those on vr

thats why I'm personally less tentative because I know I'll be using vr for those too

Also if people start modding for this engine like they did for source we're in for some good shit potentially

Cindy

Nebulae
apparently erik wolpaw, the guy who wrote portal and portal 2, was brought on board during the game's development to rewrite the story because it was too "low stakes" and didn't feel like half life.

Slight redemption, still hesitant.