Serious Medical/Mental Illness. Or a general well being thread

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
At what point is it abuse or addiction? If one functions fine, what's the issue?

I would not know, I am not a doctor, but I would say the moment drinking impairs you and the dosage is above the recommended intake. When you develop an habit of drinking rather than having a drink with your meal because you want to accompany your food with some wine.

Someone who has developed an addiction does not "function fine" at all. They'll have secondary effects related to alcoholic habits and sometimes will resort to abuse the drink when situations overwhelm them, which usually worsens the case.

Take the smoking example. You would not consider someone who smokes a single cigarette every two weeks cause they felt like it at a party to be addicted (a rare case, but a case nonetheless), however someone that smokes a cigarette to "calm their nerves" every now and then throughout the day or even the week (a grey area to be covered individually case by case by a health professional) is something you'd start considering an addiction.

The lack of substance produces an effect on you: withdrawal. We see withdrawal clearly in very extreme cases of drug and alcohol, but it can also be faint and hard to notice. This "anxiety" smokers have to soothe with cigarettes is a form of withdrawal. Resorting to alcohol to "clear" your mind and forget your problems is a form of withdrawal.

So as it was said, "day drinking" is a name that wrongly describes the issue, because drinking during the day is no issue, but it is more common to see people drinking heavily at night (parties, events, disco, etc) rather that during the day, when alcoholics will continue drinking outside of events or whatever. The name comes after the "shock" of not expecting someone taking shots of vodka during the day rather than seeing them taking 10 shots of vodka while out with the lads.

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
At what point is it abuse or addiction? If one functions fine, what's the issue?
tl;dr, when you cannot function without it and you feel like you need it to go about your day to day. If you can go a year with a shot in the morning, and then suddenly stop without a lot of reprocussions, then you are not addicted.

also day drinking's fine i used to take a shot before i went to school because it kept me fully awake

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
shots between classes are also advisable

unless you are trolling then,

it may take years for you to feel the side-effects from addiction and to realize it's actually a bad thing and you need to quit.

Reactions: List

Zeenz

Atom
Premium Member
Nebulae
Lets not joke about drunk driving ok? that shit isn't funny. Espically on the mental health thread.

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
No idea where to post this so I'm just gonna use this thread.

Hope all of you are doing well, by the way.

>Work at local supermarket as head cashier.
>Person steps up to purchase items.
>Quite obvious what they are going to cook.
>Seems like they are down on their luck, but don't tend to dwell on that sort of stuff.
>Tell them how much the foodstuffs cost.
>They go for their jacket to get money.
>They don't have any. Says they forgot.
>Awkward silence. Line grows longer.
>Ask them if that was going to be their dinner.
>They say yes. They are making pea soup with sausage.
>Grow a bit nervous. Look at the price and decide to say fuck it.
>Pay for their food. They seemed very grateful.

I didn't think about it after that. When I was working on Saturday, I hear from colleagues that someone made a post to some Facebook group. Turns out this person really needed it and another customer wrote a post about it. Don't have a name tag, no name attached to the post.

Been feeling a bit shitty lately but stuff like this is what we should all be doing. It feels good to be good, but don't do it to feel good (if that makes any sense). I feel that lately people have grown more apathetic towards one another. I don't remember people being so openly hostile to others when I was growing up.

All in all, you should look after each other. Some people might need that pick-me-up. Make another person smile and you will see that a smile will come of it to yourself, the most genuine one there is.

And don't let people tell you otherwise. People will claim that the person didn't really need it. That you got fleeced out of money. And sure, that might be true. Don't let people tell you that being nice is predatory. There's a difference between being nice and being only 'nice'.

Just be good to each other. Good things will come from that. It might not be a free meal, or a 10,000 euro cheque, but rest assured that your inner core will feel better.

I'll get off my soap box now. Just needed somewhere to share this.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae

A shame that in the States this gets you fired, it’s so fucked over here, I s2g.

Good on you, man. We should all be sweeter to one another, for sure. It irks me when we find hate for one another in roleplay communities over simple shit that don’t mean much. There’s few people I truly hate online and that’s for their own actual fucked up things they’ve done or beliefs.

We should be kinder, if not paying for each others lunch, just saying hi in steam and just having a nice chat to keep up with the friends we’ve made here or IRL.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
No idea where to post this so I'm just gonna use this thread.

Hope all of you are doing well, by the way.

>Work at local supermarket as head cashier.
>Person steps up to purchase items.
>Quite obvious what they are going to cook.
>Seems like they are down on their luck, but don't tend to dwell on that sort of stuff.
>Tell them how much the foodstuffs cost.
>They go for their jacket to get money.
>They don't have any. Says they forgot.
>Awkward silence. Line grows longer.
>Ask them if that was going to be their dinner.
>They say yes. They are making pea soup with sausage.
>Grow a bit nervous. Look at the price and decide to say fuck it.

I didn't think about it after that. When I was working on Saturday, I hear from colleagues that someone made a post to some Facebook group. Turns out this person really needed it and another customer wrote a post about it. Don't have a name tag, no name attached to the post.

Been feeling a bit shitty lately but stuff like this is what we should all be doing. It feels good to be good, but don't do it to feel good (if that makes any sense). I feel that lately people have grown more apathetic towards one another. I don't remember people being so openly hostile to others when I was growing up.

All in all, you should look after each other. Some people might need that pick-me-up. Make another person smile and you will see that a smile will come of it to yourself, the most genuine one there is.

And don't let people tell you otherwise. People will claim that the person didn't really need it. That you got fleeced out of money. And sure, that might be true. Don't let people tell you that being nice is predatory. There's a difference between being nice and being only 'nice'.

Just be good to each other. Good things will come from that. It might not be a free meal, or a 10,000 euro cheque, but rest assured that your inner core will feel better.

I'll get off my soap box now. Just needed somewhere to share this.
If you come to the fiveguys i work at you are guaranteed a free drink if i’m working on tills or a large fry no matter what size you ordered if i’m on fries

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
If you come to the fiveguys i work at you are guaranteed a free drink if i’m working on tills or a large fry no matter what size you ordered if i’m on fries
King

I used to pay for children’s sweets if they were short on change that they were given by their parents

also frequently spoke to and “forgot” to scan the newspaper that elderly people would come in on sundays to get.
There’s an older guy I knew who would come and speak to me for like 30 minutes about stuff he read and heard on the news at 7 in the morning - was really chill cause it was dead in the early hours of the morning

Makes their whole day

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
King

I used to pay for children’s sweets if they were short on change that they were given by their parents

also frequently spoke to and “forgot” to scan the newspaper that elderly people would come in on sundays to get.
There’s an older guy I knew who would come and speak to me for like 30 minutes about stuff he read and heard on the news at 7 in the morning - was really chill cause it was dead in the early hours of the morning

Makes their whole day
Ditto this. Always help the elderly pack their things up and talk to them. They might not have a lot of people to talk to anymore.

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Btw whereabouts in the UK? Visiting my girlfriend in manc in april