Metro Exodus

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
it doesn't take as much money to maintain epic's storefront and infrastructure though i don't think plus they shit money from fortnite

and a lot of people like having their libraries on one platform, origin and uplay are already inconveniences and adding more to the list doesnt help
It doesn’t yet. Yeah, that’s exactly what’s great about Epic right now though, they’re earning most of their money from making games... something that Valve used to do and the reason Steam exists. It definitely does not cost Valve the 30% to run Steam.

You can like having it all on one platform but then you’ve got to accept that you enjoy monopolies. Right now Valve get to control the market almost entirely because they’re the only real platform with a big library of games.
[doublepost=1548958236][/doublepost]If you want Valve to start trying again, improving Steam and maybe actually making games themselves, this is it.

Reactions: List

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
It doesn’t yet. Yeah, that’s exactly what’s great about Epic right now though, they’re earning most of their money from making games... something that Valve used to do and the reason Steam exists. It definitely does not cost Valve the 30% to run Steam.

You can like having it all on one platform but then you’ve got to accept that you enjoy monopolies. Right now Valve get to control the market almost entirely because they’re the only real platform with a big library of games.
[doublepost=1548958236][/doublepost]If you want Valve to start trying again, improving Steam and maybe actually making games themselves, this is it.
oh yeah don't get me wrong i hope this does make valve start developing new games, competition is never a bad thing, although i heard some sketchy shit about epicgamestore and their chinese ownership or whatever

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
oh yeah don't get me wrong i hope this does make valve start developing new games, competition is never a bad thing, although i heard some sketchy shit about epicgamestore and their chinese ownership or whatever
They’re not owned by a Chinese company, Tim Sweeney is the owner of Epic Games and Tencent own 40% of the company but they also own a shitload of other companies like Riot Games, they buy everything.

The sketchy shit isn’t really something that’s happening, Tim Sweeney addressed it himself if you’re referring to the privacy shit; it’s something they need in order to operate around the world as they use subsidiary companies for international trading which means sharing data between them for the service to work.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
They’re not owned by a Chinese company, Tim Sweeney is the owner of Epic Games and Tencent own 40% of the company but they also own a shitload of other companies like Riot Games, they buy everything.
the EA of pc gaming, just without constant bullshittery

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
the EA of pc gaming, just without constant bullshittery
It’s mainly just to do business in China, you need a company like Tencent to sell your game in the massive Chinese market and the only way to do that is sell part of your company to them (PUBG is also partially owned by Tencent I’m pretty sure).

Either way this whole bandwagon against Epic Games makes no sense if you’re a PC gamer; By having Steam as the only platform you’d have a convenient service but no competition and nothing stops games from being on both platforms (outside of exclusivity deals which Valve will do too).

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
50% of which developers?
Correction, nearly 50%.

A survey of game developers shows that nearly half of game developers support game industry unionization, a majority believe that Steam no longer justifies its 30-percent revenue take of PC game sales, and that nearly half of game makers have spent working overtime hours in so-called “crunch” mode.

The organizers of the 2019 Game Developers Conference (GDC) have released the results of the seventh annual State of the Industry Survey, revealing trends in the game industry ahead of GDC 2019 in March. More than 4,000 developers participated.

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
Either way this whole bandwagon against Epic Games makes no sense if you’re a PC gamer; By having Steam as the only platform you’d have a convenient service but no competition and nothing stops games from being on both platforms (outside of exclusivity deals which Valve will do too).

I think the problem was that they pulled the game out of the market and lowered the game's price just to make a jab at Steam (making it 50$ on Epic and 60$ on steam when it releases there, which should be an year after the game's initial release), to which they were notified shortly after it had happened

That and cause most people have the first two Metro games on Steam and will now have to install Epic's launcher just to be able to access the third one

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think the problem was that they pulled the game out of the market and lowered the game's price just to make a jab at Steam (making it 50$ on Epic and 60$ on steam when it releases there, which should be an year after the game's initial release), to which they were notified shortly after it had happened

That and cause most people have the first two Metro games on Steam and will now have to install Epic's launcher just to be able to access the third one
That doesn't help but that was a decision between the publisher and Epic Games, they were obviously going to want exclusivity. A lot of people have the Epic Games Launcher due to Fortnite which is exactly why this whole plan to compete with Steam works compared to others like Origin and GOG. Discord is also a (failed) game launcher now too.

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Literally shitting on a dedicated dev team for shit that the publisher is doing and then review bombing their games is pretty scummy not gonna lie mate.

I don't fucking care if i have to do a small switch to an another fucking platform for a good and well made game.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm not willing to put Chinese malware onto my PC to play Metro.
I'll be playing it in 2020 when it comes back to Steam.
Ah yes, this completely ignorant opinion. It's not Chinese malware and Epic Games is not owned by a Chinese company, Tencent is a minority investor but that doesn't play nicely into your bandwagon does it?

Mad-Magyar

Proton
Nebulae
Ah yes, this completely ignorant opinion. It's not Chinese malware and Epic Games is not owned by a Chinese company, Tencent is a minority investor but that doesn't play nicely into your bandwagon does it?
IDK what bandwagon you're talking about. I just think tencent is a scummy company and I don't want anything associated with them on my PC.
But if you want a strawman then just take this:
A5E0TpnSsaHJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Literally, I just want to express and just let the emotion inside of me out.
Because it angers me so fucking much when people go around and reviewbombing amazing, well crafted games like Metro 2033 and Last light.
The amount of love and dedication the devs put into those two games.
The dev team is dedicated, and clearly puts alot of love into their games.
And then ignorant, i dont want to call somebody i dont know an ''piece of shit'' but anyway. Go around and bashes the devs and not their shitty publishers. Review bombing an game for having shitty publishers pull tricks on the customers is shitty, its childish.
If you boycot an game for changing platform. Fuck it, Go right ahead.
If you go review bomb the older games and call the devs greedy sons of bitches. Or saying that they sold their souls to '' chinese devil'' or saying that you hope the devs go bankrupt. Honestly makes me fucking furious how ignorant you can be. And how fast you will go jump on bandwagons.

And if you think im pulling terms like ''chinese devil'' and ''hope the devs go bankrupt'' out of my ass. My legiment friend review bombed the 2 metro games. And this is why i am so furious.
I'm not furious towards an spesific person. I'm furious at this collective movement of people who don't know shit.

I try to be a nice person to everybody. But i get really fucking passionate about topics i care and respect for.
I'm not blind fanboy. I don't wish that the games would keep splitting up into 20 diffrent launchers. I understand you, its a pain and fucking dumb. But outright calling amazing and loving devs greedy and other shit. Its dishonest and its fucking lying.

If you don't want to buy the game until it comes on steam. Then don't. I couldn't honestly care a living fuck.
But if you go review bomb the old games. Grow the fuck up.
Goodnight.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
IDK what bandwagon you're talking about. I just think tencent is a scummy company and I don't want anything associated with them on my PC.
But if you want a strawman then just take this:
A5E0TpnSsaHJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png
Do you play League of Legends, Path of Exile, Miniclip, Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, PUBG?

I definitely know you play Hearts of Iron and guess what.. Tencent own 5% of Paradox Interactive. So if they're so scummy why are you playing a game they invest in? This whole narrative of Epic Games or their platform somehow being compromised by a minority investor falls apart pretty quickly when you see how games you already play have Tencent as a minority investor too.