OUR BENEFACTORS - FEEDBACK

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Tbh, the combine side of a hl2rp server is kinda destined to always get the short end of the stick when it comes to events where it's them vs rebels. This isn't a criticism of our server in particular, this is just how I see it in a broader sense.

Either way, I don't think it's a healthy mindset to see events (Which are supposed to be story arcs and stuff) as contests to be won. That being said, they shouldn't also be portrayed as such. Make an outline, see where it goes and try to leave wiggle room for the unpredictability of players

Reactions: List

flowerbroth

Quark
Nebulae
also wank

no one man should have all that power within an event

everyone else may as well have been spectators
yeah, I’m not 100% as to what the “citadel players” had done. I can’t fill you all in on what choices led to what, how many players had the impact, but I do know that the “big choice” came down to a combine player because he was in the right place at the right time.

I was with the rebels on the street the whole time or on my staff character, just doin what I was told by the event runners.

Not tryna invalidate anyone, just trying to clarify the “predetermined” stuff. If the event runners had a predetermined outcome, it was not shared with me or any staff for that matter.

Last edited:

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Tbh, the combine side of a hl2rp server is kinda destined to always get the short end of the stick when it comes to events where it's them vs rebels. This isn't a criticism of our server in particular, this is just how I see it in a broader sense.

Either way, I don't think it's a healthy mindset to see events (Which are supposed to be story arcs and stuff) as contests to be won. That being said, they shouldn't also be portrayed as such. Make an outline, see where it goes and try to leave wiggle room for the unpredictability of players

imo events that center entirely around Combine vs Rebel dichotomies just inherently dont work because regardless of the outcome 50% of the playerbase is going to be upset

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
imo events that center entirely around Combine vs Rebel dichotomies just inherently dont work because regardless of the outcome 50% of the playerbase is going to be upset
Yeah and therein lies the problem, most events are typically rebel centric because they are the ones who primarily get anything out of them. Cops were always something we had to worry about with big events when I was doing shit, not because there was anything wrong with the faction but because excluding them was almost always a bad idea

We got away with it a few times, but the events that did the best and were most well received to my knowledge were the ones that changed city maps and primarily revolved around event shit going on in that city.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
People aren't unhappy that Combine lost, we all know the canonic ending to HL2 is Combine eventually losing Earth.

People are upset because the event was advertised as not having a predetermined outcome which turned out to be rebels being teleported into an inaccessible part of the Nexus, which meant that the ~15 cop players had no say in anything. They were holding the streets pretty well, to the point that when the "it's over" broadcasts happened the cops were just standing in an empty plaza because they killed all the rebels trying to take it over.
Then an event EOW tried to lead the cops to the train station to wrap the map up, but because the cops were winning they all ICly rebelled against that decision and tried going back in, which after a while cause a deus ex machina gunship to come down with a /event of "everything in the streets dies" to wrap the map up.
Either way, I don't think it's a healthy mindset to see events as contests to be won.
But the event was advertised as such.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
People aren't unhappy that Combine lost, we all know the canonic ending to HL2 is Combine eventually losing Earth.

People are upset because the event was advertised as not having a predetermined outcome which turned out to be rebels being teleported into an inaccessible part of the Nexus, which meant that the ~15 cop players had no say in anything. They were holding the streets pretty well, to the point that when the "it's over" broadcasts happened the cops were just standing in an empty plaza because they killed all the rebels trying to take it over.
Then an event EOW tried to lead the cops to the train station to wrap the map up, but because the cops were winning they all ICly rebelled against that decision and tried going back in, which after a while cause a deus ex machina gunship to come down with a /event of "everything in the streets dies" to wrap the map up.
It was more of a general statement and not necessarily a critique

But the event was advertised as such.
Yeah and as I said:
That being said, they shouldn't also be portrayed as such. Make an outline, see where it goes and try to leave wiggle room for the unpredictability of players
IDK if you missed this or what but I acknowledged this front and center

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It was more of a general statement and not necessarily a critique

Yeah and as I said:

IDK if you missed this or what but I acknowledged this front and center
black quill posts go 10x harder when that neon purple motorcycle helmet mf is staring your post down at every moment as the rain cascades down on him instead of his other less-rad pfp's

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
black quill posts go 10x harder when that neon purple motorcycle helmet mf is staring your post down at every moment as the rain cascades down on him instead of his other less-rad pfp's
I'll be breaking out the christmas cop avatar again soon, the "sad spaceman" (not named by me) will be retired until next year...

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Yeah and therein lies the problem, most events are typically rebel centric because they are the ones who primarily get anything out of them. Cops were always something we had to worry about with big events when I was doing shit, not because there was anything wrong with the faction but because excluding them was almost always a bad idea

We got away with it a few times, but the events that did the best and were most well received to my knowledge were the ones that changed city maps and primarily revolved around event shit going on in that city.

tbf they shrimply need to make the server cooperative and make the villain something admin-ran instead of the WW3RP-lite stuff going on rn

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Being one of the people in the 'striketeam' that teleported upside, I thought I'd give my thoughts on the event.
There was a lot of waiting, especially nerve-tensing on my part because I expected to be quickly steamrolled by a tidal wave of EOW and more. Only the waiting beget more waiting. For most of the whole thing, I just stood around, kept eyes on VIPs, and had one short encounter with a singular EOW. Some cops running around below, but they were barred access as well. I honestly couldn't tell how much of it was good planning on our part, and how much was grace from staff.

Personally, I would've hoped the whole Overworld-connection denial thing was spelled out more clearly, maybe? To my knowledge, City 14 was going to be used to bridge a new connection between Earth and Overworld, and the striketeam shenanigans prevented that. Except all the focus was on reversing the Dispatch core thingamabob and also apparently killing advisor grubs, which came as news to me.

I mean, I am very glad my character didn't die and was part of something major, but there was a decent amount of confusion tonight.

Edit: Should clarify that my PoV does not reflect on what the rest of the striketeam may have experienced.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
I personally expected any breaches into the Nexus to be accompanied by a warning from Dispatch, since you know, 24/7 no-blind spot surveillance. I guess the lack of people playing observer dispatch is the players' fault, but it was a safeguard I had bet on.

Gyarik

gu
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
People are upset because the event was advertised as not having a predetermined outcome

I was not part of the event organization but reading every piece of information I was also genuinely convinced that the outcome depended on the players, and I also knew how the event should've gone in both cases, at least indicatively.
I was an OTA during the event mainly as to oversee the same subfaction (play by the rules etc.), expecting us to actually put up defenses inside the Nexus after learning about the strike team, except... it never happened. No chance was given to retaliate from the strike team succesfully reaching the top, the entire faction except DAGGER-3 knew nothing of what was happening at all, and apparently the Combine had already lost by the time everyone realized about the rebel intrusion. It isn't really upsetting personally, it was just disappointing when the entire setup from the staff team hinted otherwise.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
this is like the 3rd time that rebels have tp’d into a critical combine area to win an event like bruh
yeah its like the only viable strategy to get into the doomforts what alternate path would you take?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
yeah its like the only viable strategy to get into the doomforts what alternate path would you take?
bro the front door is right there just walk in LMAO

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
this is like the 3rd time that rebels have tp’d into a critical combine area to win an event like bruh
You're gonna have to use enemy tactics to take New Sevastopol

Nebulae
hopped on to play for the night and have to echo what's been said, the rebel experience (at least for the group outside) was confusing and tedious

it was a lot of very static battle lines, occasionally broken up by a weird death from an obscure angle, following an NLR wait (if i recall back in c24 finale we disabled NLR to ramp up the intensity - possibly could've been done here as well/reduced to 5 mins for action's sake?), and then all of a sudden the king was dead and the castle was down and then there was a ceasefire that predictably nobody followed because rebels are afraid of combine and there is no armed authority like EOWs or synths enforcing the surrender to the lower rungs who clearly didnt want to fight, so obviously they kept on murdering and nothing seemed set in stone

and even if there was a crowd of synths/EOWs on hand for it, i have a hard time reconciling with the idea that they would enforce it, and i say that having done the c24 ceasefire - even back then it was a partial manipulation tactic by the security council and not a true surrender because it didn't seem to make sense to me that the combine would capitulate to that degree (even if pride doesn't play into it, their parasitic nature does), let alone the warmongering overwatch garrison under them that has been fighting nonstop since azov

it also didn't help anything that the entire city portion was propblocked to oblivion with the specific purpose of funneling every single rebel into the exact same chokepoint. imo that should never have been allowed, purely on an OOC level. of course they kept getting massacred at the gates when they could never flank from the catwalks/upper plaza entrance - and of course an ex machina teleport was needed to overcome it. it's unreasonable to ask any of these two sides to brute force their way offensively through a single lane, it's just a losing game

i just felt like my time was wasted. and i got the scoop on what the story was going to be like beforehand, so i was excited to see it play out, but the more i think about it, the more i can't help but wonder if this event would've just worked better overall with a slower pacing and, perhaps, even a smidgeon of S2RP in the critical portions; @Generally Fruity 's events have historically lended themselves best to that form of combat and i think the s2k fuckery is down to a simple mistranslation of his narrative structure

also how tf did that teleport happen because if it was through a vort i have always required several of them for it

Last edited:

Mike65536

The Motha' Fuckin' Newports.
Nebulae
Just my two cents, the battle itself seemed very hectic, though I will say I had a better experience than some others, though I attribute that to keeping myself and those around me actively moving instead of just sitting around to get picked off. However to echo what @Appetite Ruining Kebab said, the intensity just wasn't there. Combat felt colonial era in nature where it did happen, and the fact the cops had to wait an hour made the event feel even slower.

TLDR: I was expecting a more meat grinder version of City 24. (Though I was under no pretext it would be the same scale) and was met with something more akin to war of rights, minus the brutality.

EDIT: Narratively, I liked it, and actually getting to passive rp in the liberated city for an hour was an awesome touch. People robbing stores for victory booze and the like was awesome. (I went for the Belmont myself.)