Suggestion shift the server focus away from s2k megabattles on this map, and make the combine more RP-oriented (for now)

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
The important push for this is finding a solution on how to provide OTA with this fair RP experience that I'm wanting for Civil Protection too; with CPs, it's absolutely possible for them to go plainsclothes and do espionage (which I've heard has happened, and I am genuinely pleased to see this). For OTA though, you naturally run into problems where they are the bulkier faction who can't really blend in. from a gameplay perspective, with the roles switched, Civil Protection are now playing the rebels, but what role can the OTA be?

well, naturally, they take on a role similar to Vortigaunts. Powerhouses who have a lot of versatility and can be an important backbone for their respective side, with the difficulty of them being unable to venture out and blend in since they stick out fundamentally too much and are naturally going to be hunted. So instead of trying to play OTA as the S2K kingpins, in RP we should be giving them more opportunities to actually make use of their superhuman endurance and power.

As CPs infiltrate, perhaps have them try to rebuild a localised Dispatch system, or have them get access to their own "infiltration" missions to establish outposts into the city. Have them work alongside Civil Protection to make these little spy posts, so Civil Protection have places to return to and record their findings in safety. Naturally they may not always be able to access the sewers to go back to safety, so having these hidden-in-plain-sight locations build first by OTA in secret and then occupied by both OTA and CPs incase there are attacks can give them that S2K element whilst also being more RP focused.

That, personally, is one of my ideas on how to integrate OTA into the RP-side of things. They have the capacity to build those bigger outposts, and defend them if need be. After all there are plenty of apartment rooms for example that are completely empty and unused, so why not make use of them in the map?
yes
and make it so that ota can't do these things without a minimum playercount..... risk do be fun and healthy.

Reactions: List

Verräterpackaging

Happy dude from around the clinic! :D
Nebulae
But all what this fosters really is more S2K, those outposts, especially if build by OTA in a bigger sense, are to be attacked by the NG - within their right. And then we stand where we started, at alot of S2K.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
But all what this fosters really is more S2K, those outposts, especially if build by OTA in a bigger sense, are to be attacked by the NG - within their right. And then we stand where we started, at alot of S2K.
That's still okay.

S2K is naturally going to happen, there is a war ongoing after all. What they do though is shift where that S2K is. OTA and NG are bound to fight, but that provides missions for both OTA and NG- either to defend a location, or besiege it. It condenses the S2K locations into smaller buildings, possibly only singular buildings, rather than city-wide struggles.

It gives OTA and NG the best of both worlds; opportunities to RP, and to S2K, so their strengths both in character and in S2K can be shown

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't think anyone here truly minds the S2K, bc as Sil said it happens, but I think the perception of one side "going out looking for it" on top of how easy it can be to drag half the server into it is going to bother people.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
That's still okay.

S2K is naturally going to happen, there is a war ongoing after all. What they do though is shift where that S2K is. OTA and NG are bound to fight, but that provides missions for both OTA and NG- either to defend a location, or besiege it. It condenses the S2K locations into smaller buildings, possibly only singular buildings, rather than city-wide struggles.

It gives OTA and NG the best of both worlds; opportunities to RP, and to S2K, so their strengths both in character and in S2K can be shown
best part about condensing fighting into smaller zones is opening up s2rp scenarios and fights
imagine busting into an apartment with your glock and stun-baton at the ready to flank the three dudes (cops) just chilling between shifts

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
S2RP is and always will be cringe and stupid. No one knows how to lose and people will cry for doing /rolls and losing.
disagree. whilst yeah people may be pissy over losing, they'd be pissy in losing in S2K regardless. after all some people fundamentally will be shit in S2K for reasons outside of their control (i.e. poor internet); at least with S2RP, it actually balances it because then it literally is just down to pure luck and that much is known and established.

Roleplay Server should run with Roleplay Solutions, especially since we're able to actually manage it nowadays. If need be i'm sure a chart could be made giving specific advantages or "who loses to who" rules, but I have confidence that even with a few people being pissy children over it, with S2RP it's a lot more fair and better for everyone.

Just don't make S2RP immediately end in PKs upon loss. "Dying" in S2RP can work just the same as S2K, and end up in an NLR. Hell, making it like that may make it more appealing since the RP doesn't automatically risk you losing the entire character, and can allow for more fast-paced action since death is only a setback rather than a shutdown.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I don't know how long you've been actually part of this community, but both have been done and both had the same conclusion. "It's not fair" or "No I was forced/ it was RNG, that's not fair"
It's unfair either way. RNG at least makes it unfair on both sides, so even the S2K CSGO Global Elite Gods are on the same playing field as jimmy.vaqueros2012 who hasn't touched a FPS game in his life

i'd rather lose to a roll, and read what happens, than lose to an OTA or NG who sniped me from across the map and be sent back to spawn on a 15 minute NLR

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
S2RP is great in the context of everyone trusting the other person and having no hard feelings about consequence - but even then you can end up in fairly crappy situations.

@deathwolf saved me during Toride for example when a bunch of people shift+w'd up to my Biotic while I was RPing bolting away, surrounded me and were going to RP beating me to death. If DW hadn't seen and stepped in I'd have lost my character, and that was during one of the better S2RP's I've seen done.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
personally I like the idea of multiple safehouses/listening posts that are predominantly manned by OTA, and give a safe location for Undercover cops to return to (Without needing to go through the Sewers/QZ).

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
I just wanna point out how selfish one side has been for a lot of these map changes as well as the leniency that goes into these changes

When rebels encounter a critical issue with their existence on a map and are asked to adapt, they can refuse and in a few days the whole dynamic will shift to accommodate them and their preferred playstyle (guns out, suits on) more readily, cop regulations will be changed, lore will be bent, etc - the national guard is meant to have a no-mask enforcement rule but it looks like they stopped recently over a single predicament that erupted in S2K (instigated by the rebels over something so minute)

Whenever it's the combine side that needs more engagement and objectives (they are actual characters and I've seen plenty of roleplay from them in the right environments) - the immediate solution from everyone is to just tell them to "make a new character" or adapt to a heavily unfamiliar style of gameplay - going undercover, which I have had people leave recently due to what I suppose is uninterest - couple that with some people going "WHO ARE U" in LOOC as I've been sent screenshots of that sort of compromising BS happen

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think a lot of people forget that yeah, cops (and even OTA) are played by real people and need their own enjoyment looked at too.

As I said a few posts ago I genuinely think this boils down to - at its very core - the notion that rebels are the 'protagonist' faction to those playing them. They're the good guys; they're the "actual characters" who have loads of dev put into them. If rebels don't get catered to then you lose the majority of your playerbase and that's been the case since - quite literally - Lemonpunch.

I'm not saying its neccesarily intentional anymore, but there's an overall victimhood mentality when it comes to rebels that stems from years and years of being the "underdog" faction.

Meanwhile, what are cops and OTA? Filled with, historically, people who seem to enjoy PKing other characters and ruining 'good' roleplay, who get their gear replaced and seem to have no care for their characters. They're very easy to point fingers at and nobody can in good faith deny problems when they crop up.

But as a result, when it comes to addressing rebels you end up more attacking "friend groups" than "a roleplay faction" and people will naturally form a united front against that sort of thing because it seems way more personal.

tl;dr: Both sides are filled with players spending their time on server and trying to roleplay their characters. That needs to be remembered.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I just wanna point out how selfish one side has been for a lot of these map changes as well as the leniency that goes into these changes

When rebels encounter a critical issue with their existence on a map and are asked to adapt, they can refuse and in a few days the whole dynamic will shift to accommodate them and their preferred playstyle (guns out, suits on) more readily, cop regulations will be changed, lore will be bent, etc - the national guard is meant to have a no-mask enforcement rule but it looks like they stopped recently over a single predicament that erupted in S2K (instigated by the rebels over something so minute)

Whenever it's the combine side that needs more engagement and objectives (they are actual characters and I've seen plenty of roleplay from them in the right environments) - the immediate solution from everyone is to just tell them to "make a new character" or adapt to a heavily unfamiliar style of gameplay - going undercover, which I have had people leave recently due to what I suppose is uninterest - couple that with some people going "WHO ARE U" in LOOC as I've been sent screenshots of that sort of compromising BS happen
I was a bit heavy handed before when saying OTA shouldn't be on the map in an earlier suggestion; I was struggling to find a place for them with the RP side of things, though that's on me for not really being very knowledgable about the OTA's perspectives on the server as I'm very used to them just being there for S2K.

Granted it is a heavily unfamiliar style of gameplay for them, I can imagine a fair few who're used to the S2K engagements being unhappy with pulling back on it and going on a heavily-RP-Focused style. But, with the little outpost idea I've had, it absolutely helps balance that out since there absolutely be S2K opportunities in-place for defending these outposts whilst also giving the combine a fleshed out purpose on the map, and a proper objective to want to go for other than just "retake the city for the combine"