So is Nebulous reduced to only HL2RP now?

Nebulae
Black Mesa rp

Aperture Science rp

Metro 2033 rp

Fallout rp

Post-Apocalyptic rp

halo rp

mafia rp or something

or make some costume lore scifi'ish/fantasy roleplay
you already have willard industries for that

ditto

no comment, haven't played enough to really form an opinion on metro rp

ditto

we already had that, it was ftrp/qzrp

no opinion

so eurp?

so hl2rp? and i don't like the idea of hosting another scifi anyway.

i mean these all sound ok but they don't seem unique enough

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
I can go for MetroRP if it ever comes to light

take some good aspects from Frundtech, Exhibitions/factions etc with some way to make the experience less shittier than being a hl2 citizen

Last edited:

Baker

Mr. Mineside
Nebulae
Halo doesn't really have that same amount of wiggle room given the constant plot progression unless we really steered off course or retconned the existing lore.
I'd disagree as long as you keep it within boundaries, for example before Halo 1 begins. This is pretty much what we do for HL2RP currently.

Reactions: List

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'd disagree as long as you keep it within boundaries, for example before Halo 1 begins. This is pretty much what we do for HL2RP currently.

And how is that going to work out when there's so much pre-established lore? Are we just going to re-enact the books and other canon material? HL2RP has wiggle room to have unique roleplay experiences because there's so much of the HL2 universe left uptapped.

Halo on the other hand has gone broad spectrum in its story coverage. We can't just hop back to Harvest, Reach, The Rubble, Arcadia, etc. We can't go back to Installation 04, certainly cannot touch Installation 04B or 04C. This is pre-established lore that would have to pre-date any sort of HaloRP. SPARTAN-II deployments have been fairly thoroughly covered, with most of them now being dead and four of them on Sanghelios, most SPARTAN-IIIs are dead, SPARTAN-IVs and pretty much every other military force are subjugated by Cortana. There's too much pre-established lore that makes roleplaying in that story pretty difficult.

The fact they're putting out book after book, comic after comic, short story after short story, we have less and less to work with. We could toss all that pre-established lore aside, but then it wouldn't be Halo RP, it'd be any ol humans vs aliens roleplay and at that point you might as well just focus on fleshing out our HL2RP lore instead as the canon-story is essentially on hiatus. You can do whatever you want with the HL universe as Valve has left so much untouched.

Even Mass Effect has more wiggle room roleplay wise imo. At least despite ME's established plot points, there's a lot of areas one could work loosely with and still be in line with established lore. Halo has way too much fleshed out story to use as a roleplay base.

@Zak and I were talking about this when it was mentioned in the thread and we were in mutual agreement that HaloRP cannot work out because of how in depth story writers have gone to give us all the other aspects of the Halo universe, from the pre-historic humans, their encounter with the sole surviving Precursor and the Flood, the Precursor-Forerunner war, the Forerunner-Human war, the Forerunner-Flood war, the events on the both the Greater and Lesser Arks, the firing of the array, the fate of the Forerunners, Humanity's destiny as bearers of the Mantle of Responsibility, etc. The closest we got to a solid idea that could remotely work for some sort of HaloRP was like...the Rainforest Wars and we were in mutual agreement that is basically a generic sci-fi resource war plot and nothing more, might as well go BF2142RP or bring back WW3RP because the experience won't be any different.

If so much wasn't already fleshed out and we don't already have so much established content, such an idea could work in theory as a roleplay gamemode, but logistics aside, there's simply too little to work with without being so bound to the established lore. We would have to effectively retcon a bunch of established canon material to make HaloRP work. We'd essentially be doing re-enactments instead of engaging in unique roleplay experiences.

I could go on about it's longevity too and how that likely won't work out well. You need some serious Halo nerds involved and make the story appealing and easily accessible to people who do not know the established universe. I'd give it less than 12 hours before someone is like "SPARTAN-II'S PLS" and sperg out or be some edge lord with the cringiest mary sue character that can somehow take a Mgalekgolo's fuel rod cannon to the chest and not die.

Last edited:

Baker

Mr. Mineside
Nebulae
And how is that going to work out when there's so much pre-established lore? Are we just going to re-enact the books and other canon material? HL2RP has wiggle room to have unique roleplay experiences because there's so much of the HL2 universe left uptapped.

Halo on the other hand has gone broad spectrum in its story coverage. We can't just hop back to Harvest, Reach, The Rubble, Arcadia, etc. We can't go back to Installation 04, certainly cannot touch Installation 04B or 04C. This is pre-established lore that would have to pre-date any sort of HaloRP. SPARTAN-II deployments have been fairly thoroughly covered, with most of them now being dead and four of them on Sanghelios, most SPARTAN-IIIs are dead, SPARTAN-IVs and pretty much every other military force are subjugated by Cortana. There's too much pre-established lore that makes roleplaying in that story pretty difficult.

The fact they're putting out book after book, comic after comic, short story after short story, we have less and less to work with. We could toss all that pre-established lore aside, but then it wouldn't be Halo RP, it'd be any ol humans vs aliens roleplay and at that point you might as well just focus on fleshing out our HL2RP lore instead as the canon-story is essentially on hiatus. You can do whatever you want with the HL universe as Valve has left so much untouched.

Even Mass Effect has more wiggle room roleplay wise imo. At least despite ME's established plot points, there's a lot of areas one could work loosely with and still be in line with established lore. Halo has way too much fleshed out story to use as a roleplay base.

@Zak and I were talking about this when it was mentioned in the thread and we were in mutual agreement that HaloRP cannot work out because of how in depth story writers have gone to give us all the other aspects of the Halo universe, from the pre-historic humans, their encounter with the sole surviving Precursor and the Flood, the Precursor-Forerunner war, the Forerunner-Human war, the Forerunner-Flood war, the events on the both the Greater and Lesser Arks, the firing of the array, the fate of the Forerunners, Humanity's destiny as bearers of the Mantle of Responsibility, etc. The closest we got to a solid idea that could remotely work for some sort of HaloRP was like...the Rainforest Wars and we were in mutual agreement that is basically a generic sci-fi resource war plot and nothing more, might as well go BF2142RP or bring back WW3RP because the experience won't be any different.

If so much wasn't already fleshed out and we don't already have so much established content, such an idea could work in theory as a roleplay gamemode, but logistics aside, there's simply too little to work with without being so bound to the established lore. We would have to effectively retcon a bunch of established canon material to make HaloRP work. We'd essentially be doing re-enactments instead of engaging in unique roleplay experiences.
I still see wiggle room to be quite honest, changing the lore to suit a servers needs is more than doable in my opinion. Either way, it wouldn't work as a 24/7 server since it'd be primarily shipRP which would get dead boring after a couple months.

I still prefer HaloRP than any other option in my opinion, but that's just because I really like the game and the lore as well as the RP that would take place. Any other option mentioned has either already been done and will close again or would just be a copy paste of what we already have, I've yet to see a unique idea that would have a fun concept that's original.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I still see wiggle room to be quite honest, changing the lore to suit a servers needs is more than doable in my opinion. Either way, it wouldn't work as a 24/7 server since it'd be primarily shipRP which would get dead boring after a couple months.

I still prefer HaloRP than any other option in my opinion, but that's just because I really like the game and the lore as well as the RP that would take place. Any other option mentioned has either already been done and will close again or would just be a copy paste of what we already have, I've yet to see a unique idea that would have a fun concept that's original.

We're never going to see a fun, unique HaloRP server. Too many constraints. The spots that are least constrained are like the Rainforest Wars period, as I mentioned basically boils down to generic sci-fi resource warring and that's it.

I wouldn't be fine with altering the existing lore as it is established currently just for the sake of a roleplay server tbh. At that point you're altering timelines as each major, and even minor plot points are heavily interlinked. If we were going to roleplay in the Halo universe we need to stay within its established confines. Like we can't retcon or replace Dr. Halsey who was responsible for many of Humanity's leaps in technology. We can't retcon who was the first direct neural link between an AI and a Human. We can't retcon the planned natural extinction of the Forerunners after they left the Milky Way. We certainly cannot retcon all the shit around the SPARTAN-I's, SPARTAN-II's, and SPARTAN-III's.

The only other viable option would be more "war game" like roleplay scenario events rather than fleshing out a storyline that would interfere with the existing lore. It could establish itself as a form of a scenario based alternate universe. At least with SPARTAN-IVs constantly doing war game scenarios in the actual universe, especially with the Infinity on the run, that can be done. With the ANVIL initiative one could theoretically extend it to the Infinity for the sake of a very minor plot tweak (as it's not unheard of to have Sangheili on the Infinity). But it would have to happen on a event basis rather than a persistent story so we can adapt to the actual story as it evolves and perhaps see if later down the line there's some solid wiggle room for a unique experience that may go untouched by 343 or won't be touched for some time. but tbh at that point you might as well just write fanfic, I'm sure @Zak already writes his own erotica where he's getting gangbanged by Sangheili.

The task of coding a proper gamemode would be immense regardless, let alone properly mapping for it, or getting solid models that aren't trash and are lore friendly. We can't have players playing as Prometheans, for example. We'd need new, custom maps. SPARTAN-IIs and IIIs would be off the table, leaving only SPARTAN-IVs, ODSTs, marines, crewmen, smart AI, and former Covenant races playable. So not only are we left with a lack of content, but a massive amount of work involved for a relatively tiny player base that could be retained.

Hell, sticking with pure text RP in like a Discord or something would be more efficient at that point and not to mention make for better story telling without the constraints of Gmod. At least then there'd be little actual development outside of establishing the AU, access is more easily managed and spergs can be weeded out (I guarantee you there'd be at least one aspie that is like "I'M MASTER CHIEF GUYS OK!?!?!?!?"). It'd also keep the PK appeals out of the picture here since it'd just be a private text rp thing which can just be arranged by like minded pals.

Last edited:

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae

I could go on about it's longevity too and how that likely won't work out well. You need some serious Halo nerds involved and make the story appealing and easily accessible to people who do not know the established universe. I'd give it less than 12 hours before someone is like "SPARTAN-II'S PLS" and sperg out or be some edge lord with the cringiest mary sue character that can somehow take a Mgalekgolo's fuel rod cannon to the chest and not die.

To be frank, and honest, the first RP I've ever done at all, was Halo. Namely a Steam RP group called UNSC Fleet Command, where its set on the ship the Noble Horizon, following the adventures of their crew against battles that formulate and the like, it lasted over a good year.

If you can get a good mix of story that can be created but stay within the confines of Halo's lore (mainly Innies and Covenant, Flood rarely, and I mean RARELY vis a vis Halo Wars...ifitcanbecountedassuch. It could last for a good amount, possibly indefinite amount of time. I mean, that was entirely just a text RP, see what we could do on the wider scope.

although to be frank and honest I stopped playing after Halo 4, damn multiplayer focus hurts my feelings on the series.

D

Deleted member 332

Dude I would actually nut if a S.T.A.L.K.E.R RP server with a playerbase larger than 25 was created. Seriously, S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Metro would be *lip smacking sound*

Edit: I would GIVE my left nut for S.T.A.L.K.E.R RP too. It would probably be the only thing that would ever make me apply for staff.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
what the fucking fuck is cyberpunk rp, half-life 2 rp is already that and a cyberpunk rp would just drive away the playerbase and fail just like all the other "original" ideas (frundtech and ww3rp)

HeyItsDuckerson

Neutrino
B A N N E D
Nebulae
what the fucking fuck is cyberpunk rp, half-life 2 rp is already that and a cyberpunk rp would just drive away the playerbase and fail just like all the other "original" ideas (frundtech and ww3rp)
yes agreed cyberpunk rp is trash