[SUGGESTION] Space Station 13 Server

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
The HRP mentality murdered the fun factor in SS13, they tried to enforce a different mindset through virtual rules. I always thought if they wanted good roleplay they should have made mechanics tighter, not the rules.

But no, it seems adding furry people is the top priority.

SS13 had potential 5 years ago. Now it's garbage. The BYOND engine itself has taken a turn to damnation, the developers of it is also on the path to self destruction.

yeah its why the only server i play on is hippie

CM i used to play but you are literally CUCKED into believing a mindset of "let me waste hours of my time just to continually die because the administration and development team absolutely hate marines with a burning passion and will nerf any kind of smart tactic you develop"

people actually praise this type of gameplay and roleplay mechanics are used to force you into believing this all or else you will get banned for "powergame" or "metagame"

meanwhile aliens can do whatever the heck they want short of ERP

/tg/ has gone down the shitter with weeaboo and trap trash controlling the administration who don't know what they are doing half the time (they let a admin bomb the entire 70 + player main server and spam catastrophic meteors just because the host removed cat ears)

/vg/ is its own thing, i no longer touch it since i didn't find it fun the last time i played it

fallout13, ROFL is all i gotta say

Dalekfodder

Proton
Nebulae
yeah its why the only server i play on is hippie

CM i used to play but you are literally CUCKED into believing a mindset of "let me waste hours of my time just to continually die because the administration and development team absolutely hate marines with a burning passion and will nerf any kind of smart tactic you develop"

people actually praise this type of gameplay and roleplay mechanics are used to force you into believing this all or else you will get banned for "powergame" or "metagame"

meanwhile aliens can do whatever the heck they want short of ERP

/tg/ has gone down the shitter with weeaboo and trap trash controlling the administration who don't know what they are doing half the time (they let a admin bomb the entire 70 + player main server and spam catastrophic meteors just because the host removed cat ears)

/vg/ is its own thing, i no longer touch it since i didn't find it fun the last time i played it

fallout13, ROFL is all i gotta say

Hippie was the flagship for some time for SS13 but lately I heard that it's taken the turns which TG took in time. I haven't played alot on it either so anything I say may be baseless.

Regardless, I am still inclined to believe SS13 is a waste of time and resources. It's a badly constructed open source game that is 20~ years old. It's resource hungry but at the same time unable to manage it properly. It should be killed and started from scratch which is time that noone is likely to give away freely.

I recommend checking out griefly tho', it's a long lasting c++ ss13 remake from scratch. It is developing slowly but if there was more people, well, obviously it would be faster.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
Hippie was the flagship for some time for SS13 but lately I heard that it's taken the turns which TG took in time. I haven't played alot on it either so anything I say may be baseless.

Regardless, I am still inclined to believe SS13 is a waste of time and resources. It's a badly constructed open source game that is 20~ years old. It's resource hungry but at the same time unable to manage it properly. It should be killed and started from scratch which is time that noone is likely to give away freely.

I recommend checking out griefly tho', it's a long lasting c++ ss13 remake from scratch. It is developing slowly but if there was more people, well, obviously it would be faster.

> remake

we have had so many remakes that its just a curse at this point

its like the curse of Game Master for me on Hippie; once i get it, i become inactive

remakes suffer a similar curse; once someone announces they are making a remake, its doomed to fail

and its because they don't realize how truly HARD remaking SS13 is; they don't think of the problem as small chunks of problems; they think of it in the whole then try to rebuild the systems

what needs to be done is not SS13 to be done, but a engine that can accomidate SS13 (as griefly seems to be doing)

then slowly rebuild the CLASSIC ss13, then go from there; because it will take a long time to get back all the content that is already in the current BYOND SS13 into another engine even if its just the CLASSIC ss13 (aka normal engine, atmos, singulo, etc)

Dalekfodder

Proton
Nebulae
> remake

we have had so many remakes that its just a curse at this point

its like the curse of Game Master for me on Hippie; once i get it, i become inactive

remakes suffer a similar curse; once someone announces they are making a remake, its doomed to fail

and its because they don't realize how truly HARD remaking SS13 is; they don't think of the problem as small chunks of problems; they think of it in the whole then try to rebuild the systems

what needs to be done is not SS13 to be done, but a engine that can accomidate SS13 (as griefly seems to be doing)

then slowly rebuild the CLASSIC ss13, then go from there; because it will take a long time to get back all the content that is already in the current BYOND SS13 into another engine even if its just the CLASSIC ss13 (aka normal engine, atmos, singulo, etc)

By implying remaking of SS13, I meant that. A platform to support SS13. With C++ the directions it can take is unlimited whilst BYOND is extremely limiting. I intend to start helping the project soon as I have some free time in my hands. I recommend you the same.

abcdefg

Atom
Nebulae
yeah, there's a certain charm about the retro 2d ss13 that a 3d remake wouldn't do it justice

Raijiin

Electron
Nebulae
As someone who has robusted his way through alot of servers, Im up for a ss13 server only if its freeform and not the HRP.

I fucking love depopulating hippie and TG, but even besides that, HRP rules devaulate the true value of ss13, working in a deathtrap where all sorts of shit may happen, and those rules kinda limit the fun and creativity one can have.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
As someone who has robusted his way through alot of servers, Im up for a ss13 server only if its freeform and not the HRP.

I fucking love depopulating hippie and TG, but even besides that, HRP rules devaulate the true value of ss13, working in a deathtrap where all sorts of shit may happen, and those rules kinda limit the fun and creativity one can have.

HRP? Heavy RP?

Reactions: List

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
The HRP mentality murdered the fun factor in SS13, they tried to enforce a different mindset through virtual rules. I always thought if they wanted good roleplay they should have made mechanics tighter, not the rules.

But no, it seems adding furry people is the top priority.
I’m going to assume you are talking primarily about Aurora considering you were a previous developer there until your dismissal. (Unless you aren’t the same Dalekfodder on the forums. In that case I apologize.)

Adding mechanics to do basic things just dumbs down the experience for the player and stifles their roleplay creativity. Now, I can’t speak for the development team as I resigned not long ago due to personal time constraints, but I can say the general agreement was leave things to the player if it could be handled differently from character to character within reason. Rules cover the gap created by giving people freedom of rp. Things that the player couldn’t be trusted with at all were handled mechanically. I did think some things could have been handled mechanically but other developers disagreed. We talked it out and came to a compromise, though.

I can also say not once during my entire time as a developer was there a project for furries, nor have I ever played as anything other than a human character or developed something based around that.

SS13 had potential 5 years ago. Now it's garbage. The BYOND engine itself has taken a turn to damnation, the developers of it is also on the path to self destruction.
Well, you’re wrong. The developers we have on TG and other servers are still going strong and BYOND is still getting updates. It’s not perfect, but it’s working.

I will admit, there are shitters who play and I personally didn’t like some of the admins which caused me to just stop playing and only focus on development, but catering to those shitters was not a thing that was done.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Roleplay on a 2D spess game where you can literally blow the whole station up with bombs, singularities, tesla's, SM's etc or make 4000 monkeys, having them all throw up, burn and faint in and out of consciousness at the same time as being in a 3x3 is stupid.
TG is my favourite server because it doesn't have an RP requirement, yet there's room for it, there's no hug-box and antags can do as they so desire, making sure rounds actually have life instead of servers where antags have to do their objectives like "steal one slime core" and nothing else out of that.

Dalekfodder

Proton
Nebulae
I’m going to assume you are talking primarily about Aurora considering you were a previous developer there until your dismissal. (Unless you aren’t the same Dalekfodder on the forums. In that case I apologize.)

Adding mechanics to do basic things just dumbs down the experience for the player and stifles their roleplay creativity. Now, I can’t speak for the development team as I resigned not long ago due to personal time constraints, but I can say the general agreement was leave things to the player if it could be handled differently from character to character within reason. Rules cover the gap created by giving people freedom of rp. Things that the player couldn’t be trusted with at all were handled mechanically. I did think some things could have been handled mechanically but other developers disagreed. We talked it out and came to a compromise, though.

I can also say not once during my entire time as a developer was there a project for furries, nor have I ever played as anything other than a human character or developed something based around that.

Well, you’re wrong. The developers we have on TG and other servers are still going strong and BYOND is still getting updates. It’s not perfect, but it’s working.

I will admit, there are shitters who play and I personally didn’t like some of the admins which caused me to just stop playing and only focus on development, but catering to those shitters was not a thing that was done.

I am not talking about Aurora specifically. Aurora is a part of the HRP server so obviously it's included but I was speaking broadly. Hypatia Station, Aurora, Baystation12, etc. But yes, I was a part of Aurora's developer team and I know more of the shit they pulled.

Asides I wanted to quit, and I quit. Didn't get dismissal.

BYOND engine is getting worse and worse, I will not take my time to explain as to why. If you have any idea you can easily comprehend what's going on.

Regarding TG: TG has been on it's downfall for a long time. Retarded administration and playerbase excluded it from the otherservers. Now being aTG player is an insult lmao.

Regarding the RP aspects- what do you mean? Roleplay in SS13 that's roundbased? "Oh I saw your character die a billion times, here is a rule that makes me never talk about it but I still know your character and I love you because meta". Placing rules to regulate some ideas is worse than placing mechanics to rule that idea. It shouldn't be upto speculation when it comes to RP. You can make mechanics that allows creativity and also regulates its own without the need of a 3rd part overseer unless we are speaking about extreme cases. In cases like griefing there needs to be an admin to regulate it.

Lastly regarding furries, you obviously haven't been there with Hypatia and Bay12's shit tier times. Hypatia is dead and Bay12 is weird right now. You know what it is.

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
I am not talking about Aurora specifically. Aurora is a part of the HRP server so obviously it's included but I was speaking broadly. Hypatia Station, Aurora, Baystation12, etc. But yes, I was a part of Aurora's developer team and I know more of the shit they pulled.

Asides I wanted to quit, and I quit. Didn't get dismissal.

BYOND engine is getting worse and worse, I will not take my time to explain as to why. If you have any idea you can easily comprehend what's going on.

Regarding TG: TG has been on it's downfall for a long time. Retarded administration and playerbase excluded it from the otherservers. Now being aTG player is an insult lmao.

Regarding the RP aspects- what do you mean? Roleplay in SS13 that's roundbased? "Oh I saw your character die a billion times, here is a rule that makes me never talk about it but I still know your character and I love you because meta". Placing rules to regulate some ideas is worse than placing mechanics to rule that idea. It shouldn't be upto speculation when it comes to RP. You can make mechanics that allows creativity and also regulates its own without the need of a 3rd part overseer unless we are speaking about extreme cases. In cases like griefing there needs to be an admin to regulate it.

Lastly regarding furries, you obviously haven't been there with Hypatia and Bay12's shit tier times. Hypatia is dead and Bay12 is weird right now. You know what it is.
I’m not going to disagree with you about the weird shit that some servers have. While most of it stays behind closed doors (Vore) some of it does show up in public servers like Aurora.

I honestly can’t comment on the other servers gameplay like TG anymore as I only like the developing aspect of it and hardly bother playing the game.

On the topics of mechanics vs rules, I’ve opened up to more mechanic based restrictions but still think a balance is needed.

I do partially disagree with the BYOND comment though. At the very least, he (Lummox) is responding to bug reports and doing weekly update threads. BYOND has some major flaws, but they can be worked through for the most part.

Nebulae
but why make a thread about it
unknown.png

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Neb SS13 server?

I can see already some assistant named Bob good kidnapping the captain.

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
mostly because ss13 is full of weirdos who are just a tone too bad for the neb community to want to interact with, it's also a fuckload of dev work for what is literally just going to die off due to the terrible engine etc

ss13 is also just redundant now anyway, we've got a server for a futuristic serious roleplaying gamemode on a bad game engine

afaik the byond cunts have weird rules regarding donations so if we had a neb ss13 server it'd literally just slowly kill itself off due to us not being able to stick premium stuff on there