me when
UhEBnVo.png

me when rebel area

I'm getting less FPS looking at the Combine area vs Rebel Area lol

Reactions: List

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
I'm being completely genuine and I'm not trying to create skepticism, but: how does the server differ from Stasiland, apart from the world it is set in? Not asking that to snarkily say "be original!", but more in a way to ask: which measures have been taken to avoid the same fate as Stasiland?

I'm aware this was already discussed on that very first thread showing the concept of the server, but there was never a real response to it.
If the response is that this server will be different from Stasiland, my question is: in what way?
And before someone inevitably accuses me of negativity: I've played and had my fun on the server so far, but I'm worried about the longevity.
This quote from @Sneaky says it best: (see bolded bit)
At the very least you can't deny the similarities. If we entirely removed civilian roleplay from Stasiland, we'd effectively have what you are describing here but set in an occupied 90s Germany. It'd one occupying force which was white-listed versus a bunch of player-led and less restrictive rebel groups using scavenged weapons to fight the occupying force.

I'm not sure I can claim that it was the civilian aspect of the server that killed Stasiland, and since that's the biggest difference between this and Stasiland that I can think of (besides the setting but I really doubt that would be it either), I'm not sure how optimistic I can be with this proposal. Everyone loved how Stasiland seemed on paper, but such enthusiasm quickly died down when it actually launched. Personally, I fear the same might happen here. If you think it's bad reductionism, then please do explain how it differs from Stasiland, because I personally fail to see it.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I'm being completely genuine and I'm not trying to create skepticism, but: how does the server differ from Stasiland, apart from the world it is set in? Not asking that to snarkily say "be original!", but more in a way to ask: which measures have been taken to avoid the same fate as Stasiland?

I'm aware this was already discussed on that very first thread showing the concept of the server, but there was never a real response to it.
If the response is that this server will be different from Stasiland, my question is: in what way?
And before someone inevitably accuses me of negativity: I've played and had my fun on the server so far, but I'm worried about the longevity.
This quote from @Sneaky says it best: (see bolded bit)

OTA/CPs are not the occupying force and rebels the guerrillas; both are on a somewhat semi-equal footing, the only reason OTA/CPs are under whitelist access is because they have an actual whitelist and certain processes, ranks and organisation to work with, while citizens only need to be given a gun and a direction to walk towards. In fact I'd say the ones "attacking" here are precisely the Combine, who are in dire need of completion of their objectives to contact their Overlords.

The agenda for both sides is also clearer, plus the playerbase is less full-combat focused as WW3RP's one was. We want to work with this, and push forward the idea of sharing both some action and roleplay in a post-HL2EP2 setting (which has not been explored before in the community).

While there are similarities in appearance, it doesn't have to be the same because of those apparent similarities. We can't take for granted that the fate will be the same as Stasiland's if to begin with we're not parting from the premise Stasiland set. All we can do is try, give players stuff to do, let the event team and players alike run wild, set clear objectives and targets that are specific for players to plan and face each other.

I am sorry I can't tell you more since I'm not part of the guys dealing with what we'll be doing from here onwards, but I am sure there are cool things in store we can explore and enjoy in a different setting in a rich universe like this. I am aware about some details that have been added as part of the lore that will allow for more freedom of scriptwriting, too.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
we should worry less about being a reskin of whatever server people want to point out and focus on having fun times on this new iteneration of hl2rp

this was never thought-out to be a reskin of anything therefor it simply is not

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
we should worry less about being a reskin of whatever server people want to point out and focus on having fun times on this new iteneration of hl2rp

this was never thought-out to be a reskin of anything therefor it simply is not
that seems short sighted and a quick way to crash the server
if two concepts look to be fundamentally similiar and one of those concept failed, it'd seem logical to ask how you avoid the same fate
i was hyped for stasiland and i was (still am) hyped for this server, but having short term fun will eventually make place for the fundamentals of the server's playstyle and economy
if numbers never intended this to be a long term thing then disregard everything i said i guess

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
if two concepts look to be fundamentally similiar and one of those concept failed, it'd seem logical to ask how you avoid the same fate
i was hyped for stasiland and i was (still am) hyped for this server, but having short term fun will eventually make place for the fundamentals of the server's playstyle and economy
if numbers never intended this to be a long term thing then disregard everything i said i guess
he said its going to last as long as it lasts and then its done

Nebulae

To add onto what @Señor Jaggles said we're also going to be taking advantage of sci fi elements of the setting that you wouldn't otherwise get away with in cityRP

Think of PvP as less of a similarity in setting and more of a similarity in format. Just because a cyberpunkRP and east german occupationRP both take place in a "cityRP" format doesn't make them both too similar, the same applies here. There is nothing here that resembles ww3rp beyond the format, and asking us to drop that (not saying you are) is asking us to give up the building blocks of a functioning server. Stasiland didn't invent PvP and it shouldn't have an undue claim to settings that just so happen to involve faction warfare

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
to add onto what @Señor Jaggles said we're also going to be taking advantage of sci fi elements of the setting that you wouldn't otherwise get away with in cityRP

Think of PvP as less of a similarity in setting and more of a similarity in format. Just because a cyberpunkRP and east german occupationRP both take place in a "cityRP" format doesn't make them both too similar, the same applies here. There is nothing here that resembles ww3rp beyond the format, and asking us to drop that (not saying you are) is asking us to give up the building blocks of a functioning server

Yeah but the similarity they present is not with WW3RP but with StasilandRP which was basically occupational forces vs guerrilla forces (iirc?). The Combine are invading forces, but they're not the "government" anymore.

Nebulae
Yeah but the similarity they present is not with WW3RP but with StasilandRP which was basically occupational forces vs guerrilla forces (iirc?). The Combine are invading forces, but they're not the "government" anymore.

Point still applies i think

Stasiland didn't invent PvP and it shouldn't have an undue claim to settings that just so happen to involve faction warfare

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
stasiland was meant to be city roleplay with stasi officers that all skipped out managing the city (and even playing) due to reasons i do not know, + the role being increasingly bureaucratic and the whole server relying upon these officers alone to hand out licenses

stasiland then devolved to guerrilla roleplay with stasi snitches on the inside and cia on the outside that worked against each other and tried to PK one another, which led to the only group on the server (nobody else decided setting another one up while federalist insurgents were still a thing) eventually dying out by being captured, shot, etc

stasiland is also a server grounded by real world tropes, no aliens, no cool soldier progression or mindless insect swarms/zombies, not as much similar an aesthetic

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
all im saying is that we are given alot of creative freedom in this iteneration and we should exploit it

if we're going in with the mentality "oh we gotta ensure this is 100% original / if this becomes too much like X server its gonna be crap" then we might aswell not do it at all.

just grab ur popcorn and enjoy the movie (we are all protagonists in here)

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
Think of PvP as less of a similarity in setting and more of a similarity in format. Just because a cyberpunkRP and east german occupationRP both take place in a "cityRP" format doesn't make them both too similar, the same applies here. There is nothing here that resembles ww3rp beyond the format, and asking us to drop that (not saying you are) is asking us to give up the building blocks of a functioning server. Stasiland didn't invent PvP and it shouldn't have an undue claim to settings that just so happen to involve faction warfare
all im saying is that we are given alot of creative freedom in this iteneration and we should exploit it

if we're going in with the mentality "oh we gotta ensure this is 100% original / if this becomes too much like X server its gonna be crap" then we might aswell not do it at all.

just grab ur popcorn and enjoy the movie (we are all protagonists in here)

to make it very clear: i don't care about the originality of the server or how much the format was copied from stasiland. in fact i'd say if copying other servers works out then do it 100%
stasiland was meant to be city roleplay with stasi officers that all skipped out managing the city (and even playing) due to reasons i do not know, + the role being increasingly bureaucratic and the whole server relying upon these officers alone to hand out licenses

stasiland then devolved to guerrilla roleplay with stasi snitches on the inside and cia on the outside that worked against each other and tried to PK one another, which led to the only group on the server (nobody else decided setting another one up while federalist insurgents were still a thing) eventually dying out by being captured, shot, etc

stasiland is also a server grounded by real world tropes, no aliens, no cool soldier progression or mindless insect swarms/zombies, not as much similar an aesthetic
fundamentally, stasiland at its later stages looked like this:
- big resistance group supplied by secret admin faction on one side of map that passive rps and sometimes come out and shoots evil faction
- evil faction on the other side of the map that sometimes does patrols and gets shot
- occasional event to rile up resistance group and get them to do shit

my fear is that the server will share a similiar concept to that and then fail, all i want to know is why that will not be the case

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
wait we're copying ww3rp? I thought we're copying Arma

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
to make it very clear: i don't care about the originality of the server or how much the format was copied from stasiland. in fact i'd say if copying other servers works out then do it 100%

fundamentally, stasiland at its later stages looked like this:
- big resistance group supplied by secret admin faction on one side of map that passive rps and sometimes come out and shoots evil faction
- evil faction on the other side of the map that sometimes does patrols and gets shot

my fear is that the server will share a similiar concept to that and then fail, all i want to know is why that will not be the case
yea but stasiland didn't die because of that. city roleplay, and outlands roleplay has always one side further away from the other (combine n rebel). stasiland was advertised to be city roleplay but didnt end up becoming it. as a result only one group ever formed, few people got the facilities to start shit because the big resistance group was one, singular solitary one

there was no drama between different groups, it was just federalists against the NVA/soviets, with infiltrators trying to pull strings and fuck over their opposing side

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
whats up with people demanding numbers to predict the future lol. this isnt even the first time its happened. if you dont want it to turn out like x past server then just play the game

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

Additionally to what numbers said, there are a few key differences here

The resistance group will have objectives, or at least, the necessity to jeopardize objectives
The evil faction doesn't get to sit and wait, they need the free wifi to call their family in Ohio (Combine Overworld)
Events have more freedom of creativity considering we are not tied by the past status quo that was necessary for the proliferation of city roleplay

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
OTA/CPs are not the occupying force and rebels the guerrillas; both are on a somewhat semi-equal footing, the only reason OTA/CPs are under whitelist access is because they have an actual whitelist and certain processes, ranks and organisation to work with, while citizens only need to be given a gun and a direction to walk towards. In fact I'd say the ones "attacking" here are precisely the Combine, who are in dire need of completion of their objectives to contact their Overlords.

The agenda for both sides is also clearer, plus the playerbase is less full-combat focused as WW3RP's one was. We want to work with this, and push forward the idea of sharing both some action and roleplay in a post-HL2EP2 setting (which has not been explored before in the community).

While there are similarities in appearance, it doesn't have to be the same because of those apparent similarities. We can't take for granted that the fate will be the same as Stasiland's if to begin with we're not parting from the premise Stasiland set. All we can do is try, give players stuff to do, let the event team and players alike run wild, set clear objectives and targets that are specific for players to plan and face each other.

I am sorry I can't tell you more since I'm not part of the guys dealing with what we'll be doing from here onwards, but I am sure there are cool things in store we can explore and enjoy in a different setting in a rich universe like this. I am aware about some details that have been added as part of the lore that will allow for more freedom of scriptwriting, too.
To add on to this, cops started conscripting people they come across. Real warlord type of shit

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Stasiland was built to be primarily city-centric and slowly allow people to trickle out and from there under exceptional circumstances. Absolutely everything was tailored around it being city-based until the later stages - and so when 90% of people ran out of the city day one, suddenly the Stasi became instantly useless and nobody was doing jack shit in the city.

None of the systems were built to handle that so early on and despite the best efforts of the staff team they were never really able to recover it (especially because a huge portion of the playerbase saw fit to use it as an excuse to champion for the "classic" WW3 to make a return).

I don't really see how they compare at the end of the day, imo. Stasiland failed for vastly different (and unfortunate) reasons.