Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The whole cell system and whatever else is just a roundabout way to get rebels to actually participate in the plot without triggering the "STOP TRYING TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO" response that comes up tbh

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
you simply just can't cater to two sides who're both convinced they should be the main characters of the setting and do it well, unless they're entirely separated and never interact player to player

there has to be a loser in a setting like this, just like there HAS to be a winner - and neither side wants to be the loser

rob

Nebulae
Weird but whatever man

It was made in response to the lack of cell acquisitions really, we needed something that was more frequent so that people didn't have to go days without literally anything, and it's also a lot more friendly towards people who don't align themselves with any established group.

I'm not saying it has no problems whatsoever, and admittedly I've been quite inactive as of the past week due to taking a break but from what I can tell it seems to be fulfilling its purpose. I'm open to hear specifically what you dislike about it and whether you reckon it can be improved upon, or whether it's the actual system as a whole you have an issue with, in which case I'm also open to hearing ideas that could replace it (not that it's my call, but talking about alternatives isn't exactly an issue). I don't think it can be entirely abolished given it plays a substantial role in allowing players to get equipment.
My only issue with the merchant system is how long orders take.

It makes me reflect back on the old days where black market dealers could simply just press TAB and instantly spawn any shipment of their choosing.

Yeah, I'm aware the black market system back then wasn't perfect either but orders were instant.

Having a system rely on the presence of staff will inevitably cause delays, and waiting IRL days to receive a virtual box of cloth is more painful than waiting on an Amazon delivery from China.

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
As for the low-tier ammo types, like I said I'm not really sure how it's playing out on the server, but if it's a case of these ammo types basically not existing outside of scavengers being able to find them, then I think that's something that we need to address too.
Yeah, the low-tier ammo types as far as I'm aware just don't exist beyond 9x18 and 9mm for USPs. From what I know, they tend to just be stored in cells or premium vaults for use with the odd cool gun people keep around, there's certainly not a lot of it. Though there certainly could be if there was more reason to have those ammo types.

I think scavengers are few and far between. I'm not sure if the crafter/scav stuff has been reorganised to allow people to apply for it yet. Maybe a small fix would be to start doing echo crate type stuff again (or just ad hoc spawning low tier loot around the map), though there's only a 50% chance that stuff ends up in the hands of rebels anyway. I also can't say it's the most appealing thing for staff to go about doing.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Alternatively, both sides can be losers.

That way no one is happy.
losing is only fun if its done well though - and a lot of people can't comprehend a way in which it would be

being on the "losing" side because the other faction is better at clicking pixels isn't enjoyable, and stimulating an atmosphere in which it is clear both sides are losing is something that requires constant nurture

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
My only issue with the merchant system is how long orders take.

It makes me reflect back on the old days where black market dealers could simply just press TAB and instantly spawn any shipment of their choosing.

Yeah, I'm aware the black market system back then wasn't perfect either but orders were instant.

Having a system rely on the presence of staff will inevitably cause delays, and waiting IRL days to receive a virtual box of cloth is more painful than waiting on an Amazon delivery from China.
So as for orders taking too long, we've given them the option to pay extra 'points' for same-day delivery or a little less for next-day, I'm pretty sure @ShockyC has been quite often (if not every single time actually iirc) using same day so I'm wonder if these delays are as a result of us not responding quick enough to their orders.

Definitely understand the frustration of having to wait, it was basically a way of us implementing a point-sink which tbh doesn't actually seem to be working. It's possible we could just change it to a system where everything is same-day delivery if ordered before a certain time (some orders are made incredibly late in the night), but given that same-day tends to be used anyways, I think the problem may be with ourselves taking too long, but @ShockyC can probably add his experiences to this
Yeah, the low-tier ammo types as far as I'm aware just don't exist beyond 9x18 and 9mm for USPs. From what I know, they tend to just be stored in cells or premium vaults for use with the odd cool gun people keep around, there's certainly not a lot of it. Though there certainly could be if there was more reason to have those ammo types.

I think scavengers are few and far between. I'm not sure if the crafter/scav stuff has been reorganised to allow people to apply for it yet. Maybe a small fix would be to start doing echo crate type stuff again (or just ad hoc spawning low tier loot around the map), though there's only a 50% chance that stuff ends up in the hands of rebels anyway. I also can't say it's the most appealing thing for staff to go about doing.
Would be a question for @FreeSpy in regards to the scav/crafter question.

Regardless, I don't think scavengers being the only source of acquiring low-tier ammo is really viable tbh, it should be made a lot more available and easily accessible, thinking back to Boreas, I was a big fan of @A. Vaher 's contracts that they were doing which basically gave people odd jobs, whether it was dealing with a single bandit or scavenging around for a car engine, I'm not sure exactly what rewards were offered for these jobs but given their ease, I could see a similar system being put in place that would give players access to low tier stuff that can be traded.

Just spitballing really I've not thought it through, I'm pretty sure a similar system already exists on the server or at least I remember reading about the intention of some similar system with contracts but again I'm not sure how this is playing out on the server rn

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
Regardless, I don't think scavengers being the only source of acquiring low-tier ammo is really viable tbh, it should be made a lot more available and easily accessible
it is not. scavengers are meant to be the lifeblood for crafters for materials, not for the main rebellion

you can apply. it's been slightly modified, right now with everything going on it takes a bit to get the next updates and shit going for it

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
issue with staff-reliant systems for getting stuff spawned in etc is - Staff are people.

They're busy, sometimes there's only a handful of them on or are working on events, etc.

rob

Nebulae
issue with staff-reliant systems for getting stuff spawned in etc is - Staff are people.

They're busy, sometimes there's only a handful of them on or are working on events, etc.
Yeah, I wish there were a business menu for merchants - that'd save staff, like, 100% of their time, but I don't know how much work that requires.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
Yeah, I wish there were a business menu for merchants - that'd save staff, like, 100% of their time, but I don't know how much work that requires.
isn't there a business menu already?

issue is logging...

...idk is it possible to code in a logging system that just logs the merchant purchases?

if someone does something abusive etc, you can glance at that and spank them

rob

Nebulae
isn't there a business menu already?

issue is logging...

...idk is it possible to code in a logging system that just logs the merchant purchases?

if someone does something abusive etc, you can glance at that and spank them
I don't know the ins and outs of modifying a business menu to suit the merchants, if it's only something our glorious dev Gary can do then I understand why it hasn't been done, but if it's something any staff member can do at the push of a few buttons then I don't see why it hasn't been done.

I just think a business menu would be the saving grace of the merchants, for multiple reasons:
  • Staff who oversee the merchant system can kick back and relax on their chair, not having to worry about logging onto the server to manually spawn each merchant's order, instead now only having to worry about merchants abusing the system - which shouldn't be a major issue if they've picked people they can trust.
  • Players on the server would be more than happy when receiving their order instantaneously as opposed to in a few days or more.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
I don't know the ins and outs of modifying a business menu to suit the merchants, if it's only something our glorious dev Gary can do then I understand why it hasn't been done, but if it's something any staff member can do at the push of a few buttons then I don't see why it hasn't been done.

I just think a business menu would be the saving grace of the merchants, for multiple reasons:
  • Staff who oversee the merchant system can kick back and relax on their chair, not having to worry about logging onto the server to manually spawn each merchant's order, instead now only having to worry about merchants abusing the system - which shouldn't be a major issue if they've picked people they can trust.
  • Players on the server would be more than happy when receiving their order instantaneously as opposed to in a few days or more.
i dont want to be that guy buttt

if you have to, to encourage stuff, maybe have the merchant menu spawn it in on the map at random, dropped via parachute, with the merchant knowing where it is. ensures they gotta plan a good time, find said stuff, and gives the risk of it getting stolen by randoms

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
i dont want to be that guy buttt

if you have to, to encourage stuff, maybe have the merchant menu spawn it in on the map at random, dropped via parachute, with the merchant knowing where it is. ensures they gotta plan a good time, find said stuff, and gives the risk of it getting stolen by randoms
the drop cannot be random, if so you risk it landing inside of the combine base or the emergent base or some out of bounds spot

Nebulae

I have to agree.

Some automation is needed,
since 1-5 legendary dedicated people serving a full or half full server where not much could be done without staff system wise, being active management on a 35 player minimum server, is tough to answer everything, especially at the heat of the moment of rp.
Automation is needed, and some trust in the user operating them systems, like merchant spawn systems to be made.

I'd even encourage faith in the player.
Making a merchant system with specific flags, (just the business menu that already exists, tweak it)
to even assign them to specific characters in specific situations, vendors, roles, or what not.

allowing characters to be INTERESTING. to be able to procure their own things and roles.
currently everybody's role is rebel s2ker, or something related to combat. where's the uniqueness?
while it could be one man decides to be a tailor, he has tailor flags, one man has carpentary flags, other fishing flags allowing em to spawn fish in its own time.
handing out free rp, and trust in the one that has the flag for it, is not bad, it's good.
in my case, a fishing dedicated character, having to ask and reask for carp to be spawned, when doing a fishing event with someone, or self, sometimes takes a while, which is understandable, YET
being able to procure it myself, with fairness and respect to the responsibilty of having such flag, makes you put even more rp effort.

i'd imagine how many fishing events I could do in such instance, without having to rely on outside support, could be fun af
and what others could do, having their own roles attributed to them.
heck, make one shoeshiner, with shoeshiner flags, being able to ''craft'' shoes or something. ITS FREE RP

this is the next step of evolution, of a player driven server, while on the global narrative of the staff directive.
you still cant live dependent 24/7, then wonder why the staff themselves feel overwhelmed, and the player feels uncomfy asking over n over
sometimes over strictness just keeps things lacking.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
it would be beyond stupid to bring the Q menu back

there's a reason plenty judged it as a terrible mechanic back in the day
erm actually it was the tab menu 🤓