News After over a year of work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
We need to trim the content pack for client performance, and again I stress that those packs are huge culprits.
do we need d47 content though

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Then I have to ask what clients are suffering so heavily, I've never had any issues with the packs even when running on absolutely terrible machines. The D47 pack isn't used as much as C24, though, so I've got no qualms with that one going.
Well there's a few things

There's the duplication of textures that I think occurs between both packs (meaning there's 2 of the same file in each effectively wasting a lot of space), there's a lot of props in both c24 packs that aren't utilised which, again is wasted space

Addons affect RAM usage as well p sure, and combining the content with the map as is might cause issues for some users which we obviously want to avoid at all costs.
[doublepost=1558281719][/doublepost]
do we need d47 content though
I don't think so, no - that one can go.

Pyromancer

doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????
Nebulae
c24 content causes some conflicts with the map, in that atle is a fucking idiot who puts texture replacements into his addons instead of packing them into the mapfile
its like that mirrors edge map everybody had downloaded in 2014 that painted all your hl2 wire fences bright fucking orange on every single map

Reactions: List

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
Well there's a few things

There's the duplication of textures that I think occurs between both packs (meaning there's 2 of the same file in each effectively wasting a lot of space), there's a lot of props in both c24 packs that aren't utilised which, again is wasted space

Addons affect RAM usage as well p sure, and combining the content with the map as is might cause issues for some users which we obviously want to avoid at all costs.
Ideally, we'd be able to keep C24 in it's entirety, although it's critical that we preserve the majority of the textures as well as a large selection of props due to their utility in events -- it's simply too frequently used to just cut off imo, you're shafting a lot of people in doing so.

I'd question the necessity of addons such as the one that added all those food props.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
such as the one that added all those food props.
You would think that, but lets look at the file sizes for a minute:

The food props addon is only: 15.801 MB

The C24 content (both) is: 56MB + 129 MB = Nearly 200MB of content - basically a quarter of a GB on its own, which excludes every other bit of content

The difference in peformance, scale and impact is obvious when looking at the numbers imo

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Ideally, we'd be able to keep C24 in it's entirety, although it's critical that we preserve the majority of the textures as well as a large selection of props due to their utility in events -- it's simply too frequently used to just cut off imo, you're shafting a lot of people in doing so.

I'd question the necessity of addons such as the one that added all those food props.
and all of the fancy drinks

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
You would think that, but lets look at the file sizes for a minute:

The food props addon is only: 15.801 MB

The C24 content (both) is: 56MB + 129 MB = Nearly 200MB of content

The difference in peformance, scale and impact is obvious when looking at the numbers imo
There has to be some form of compromise though, quelling all of C24 content is going to screw over so many creative minds purely because it moves away from the dark and dingy aesthetic to something that doesn't feel so cheap -- especially for elite events/high ranking offices.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
There has to be some form of compromise though, quelling all of C24 content is going to screw over so many creative minds purely because it moves away from the dark and dingy aesthetic to something that doesn't feel so cheap -- especially for elite events/high ranking offices.
I'm not saying we can't look at options, but the bottom line is that those packs need trimming, one way or another because as I showed you with the numbers; those packs alone are almost a quarter of a GB inside of an already bloated content pack.

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm not saying we can't look at options, but the bottom line is that those packs need trimming, one way or another because as I showed you with the numbers; those packs alone are almost a quarter of a GB inside of an already bloated content pack.
packs like

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=285497283
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144155688
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192039651

should go first

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
do we need the metropolice pack?
or uhh
"[TFA][AT] INS2 Shared Parts"

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I will not pretend to know how to balance the back end of a server but I have a lot of experience propbuilding stuff that is supposed to look elite/pristine. Building something that is more cab / elite oriented is almost entirely impossible with the regular base hl2 stuff outside of limiting it to a citadel / combine dominated setting. If any such builds are to survive some essential c24 props and textures will need to be saved or otherwise replaced by other props or textures that are thematically similar.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104491619
we use like 3 models in here port them somewhere instead and get rid of the pack

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192039651
These we have the models for as bodygroups seperately anyway

we've also got a bunch of citizen duplicates and beta models that are just shittier versions of the citizen models we use that could go

(( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636614821 remove blacksuits remove blacksuits remove blacksuits remove blacksuits ))

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
So I have a dumb question; is it possible to package the most used props into their own pack and dump the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.