Serious "are we losers?"

well, are we?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Black Rain (1989)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
Nebulae
just let people do whatever they want lmao you're a loser if you judge people for enjoying stuff you don't

i've met people at neb/lp that i would say are my friends and that's prob one of the reasons i stick around

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
You know sometimes I get asked if I ever regret getting heavily involved in the whole thing -and while thoughts of drama, shit-talk; upset and all that comes to mind there's one thing that just makes it all the worth while which is knowing the people I know from this community - LP and Neb. Even if LP had died and Neb was never made - I'd have still known the people I know today. There comes a time where you stop thinking of people as just 'people on gmod' or 'people on the forums' and you see them as something more.

The people who I speak to on a regular basis from nebulous have taught me quite a lot - more than you'd think. And the best part is you don't even really realize its happening because to you its just "playing gmod" or dicking around on Teamspeak. I'm sure the people who were around for years before LP was a thing can testify to the fact they've known people for years and years purely bc they interacted on an rp server or a forum one time.

Besides - there's only one person who decides if something is a waste of time or not - and that's yourself. Sure other people will tell you that xyz is a waste of time but in hindsight - you're probably doing said thing because it brings you joy or is something you do on the side to things such as studies (A lot of people on Neb are again, proof of this). And I mean, sure people could spend their time better but you can say that about many things and in hindsight - if you weren't spending your time doing community related stuff, you'd prolly spend it playing another game like idk - TF2 for example (It's primarily what I played before I got involved in community stuff).

Hell fuck it, the people in this community are one of the reasons why politics became a thing I wanted to study - Before any of this I'd have prolly just considered it boring and pointless but thanks to the various people I know and talk to; I gained an undying interest for it.

And at the end of the day, even people that say roleplay is for losers still play the servers and find themselves coming back *cough @Fel 'I don't like smiley faces' groove cough* so there must be something about it that makes it not a total waste of time.

D

Deleted member 243

You know sometimes I get asked if I ever regret getting heavily involved in the whole thing -and while thoughts of drama, shit-talk; upset and all that comes to mind there's one thing that just makes it all the worth while which is knowing the people I know from this community - LP and Neb. Even if LP had died and Neb was never made - I'd have still known the people I know today. There comes a time where you stop thinking of people as just 'people on gmod' or 'people on the forums' and you see them as something more.

The people who I speak to on a regular basis from nebulous have taught me quite a lot - more than you'd think. And the best part is you don't even really realize its happening because to you its just "playing gmod" or dicking around on Teamspeak. I'm sure the people who were around for years before LP was a thing can testify to the fact they've known people for years and years purely bc they interacted on an rp server or a forum one time.

Besides - there's only one person who decides if something is a waste of time or not - and that's yourself. Sure other people will tell you that xyz is a waste of time but in hindsight - you're probably doing said thing because it brings you joy or is something you do on the side to things such as studies (A lot of people on Neb are again, proof of this). And I mean, sure people could spend their time better but you can say that about many things and in hindsight - if you weren't spending your time doing community related stuff, you'd prolly spend it playing another game like idk - TF2 for example (It's primarily what I played before I got involved in community stuff).

Hell fuck it, the people in this community are one of the reasons why politics became a thing I wanted to study - Before any of this I'd have prolly just considered it boring and pointless but thanks to the various people I know and talk to; I gained an undying interest for it.

And at the end of the day, even people that say roleplay is for losers still play the servers and find themselves coming back *cough @Fel 'I don't like smiley faces' groove cough* so there must be something about it that makes it not a total waste of time.
We need you in politics to fix the UK

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
We need you in politics to fix the UK
As someone who's studying it, I'll say one thing

The prime ministers who got the most shit done in the UK are the ones most people hate. Thatcher and Blair.

D

Deleted member 243

As someone who's studying it, I'll say one thing

The prime ministers who got the most shit done in the UK are the ones most people hate. Thatcher and Blair.
Idk man I'm not very interested in polictics, but I do know some countries could get their heads out of their arses for once in their lifetime.

Anyways back on topic. Are bodybuilders losers too?

I mean, they did what they did to get fuarkin ripped m8 but it didn't accomplish them in life, it made them happy, and killed them... RIP Zyzz.

Here, a video on what I mean.

Reactions: List

Praise

Hot wet beef
Nebulae
Honestly, I wish I never came into the whole gaming world in general, I do spend a good bit of time on the computer. Most of my friends are like normal (as in sports, social and such) and it just makes me feel shit kinda. Just thinking I could've just picked up a sport when I was younger. I do wish I was active cause I do feel crap both physically and mentally and I would blame the fact that I just do fuck all on a computer. I dunno just thought I should vent that out may not be too related

On the other hand I guess I'm really glad I came into the whole gaming world, sparked a creative side in me I guess. I'm one of the best students in my school in art class and like someone mentioned above, the whole roleplaying does get the creative juices flowing, which in some cases could be useful for English

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
It only really crosses into loser territory if you start taking it too seriously. It's fine to be passionate about it, and want to take things seriously since that's what it's about. But at the end of the day, you need to step back and realize "hey, this is just a game" and so on. Some people legitimately stress out about it or get way too worked up over shit that's happening in a video game online.

Berke

literally the most irrelevant operator
Nebulae
now looking back at it, roleplay and gaming overall, in steam and such which i have been into since i had internet in my pc was a grey ground for me

on one side, i do spend much time in front of the screen which is bad for my health, and i do create things that most people may not even care, get involved in stuff that will have no consequences. but now, when i look at it, after finding the balance between things, it is really fine.

look at it like that, people who call you/me/us losers do also game/write/read/inserthobby. we are just a bunch that gathered here for some good time, jokes, banter and to have quality time in our own perspectives. i mean, if i spent the time i spent roleplaying on going out, i would probably be broke as fuck now. i mean, when there is a storm outside, or simply when i come home after 15-16 hours, what is wrong with me roleplaying or spending that free section of time with the act called 'roleplay'? i personally see HL2RP as a group writing, i adored writing and reading since i learnt to how to do them. after i come home after a long day at school, or after grabbing a few drinks with friends, i fail to see what is wrong with spending some time to play as a character in some story. Just as @Zak said, we just do not need to take it too seriously, and manage to see it as what it is, a hobby that you do with people that shares the same interests with you.

as for myself, roleplay got around two thousand hours of my life, that i will never have back. but, it also gives me satisfaction to create characters, see their ends, develop them accordingly, assist others to do so, and those days mainly, to help others doing such and enhance their experience. one thing i noticed is my english improved greatly (it is not perfect as of now, but it is far better for someone of my age and in my country) which is fine for me, i get to practice english in server as writing, and i can practice and hone my speaking when i go on ts/discord/skype with the folks i met here, i do not see what is wrong here. you get to interact and observe, maybe make friends with a lot of different people over here except from your local friends circle, enjoy and let out some stress here. the one thing that causes me to not regret those one thousand and a half hours is it greatly reinforces my dream of studying translation studies, and studying foreign languages.

so yeah, being a 'loser' depends on your definition of loser, roleplay is not a factor that counts in it imo. being a loser is more about personality, if you feel like a loser at least tell yourself that you do not shank people for some extra crack that you will inject into yourself under a bridge for a few hours of disassociation from reality.

i wrote too much :((((((((

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 1060

For me roleplaying is not meaning to be someone else, it's creating a character from the beginning and make it evolve in a specific context. It's like creating a novel character, you invent a family, a background, a body ... your character is your creation and you control it.