Completed [Competition] Art of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB

Proton
Nebulae

You've gone for something similar to what rotoscoping looks like in animation if you drew this (I don't want to say traced but that's it in essence), and didn't just use some filters, it's very clear to see, and it's a valid technique despite what some people say about it, but it does have the tendency to be immediately recognisable as a style and look like filters, leading to doubt when it's presented. It's a great way for a learning artist to get good with several techniques, often learning the tools and styles they can play around with rather than sheer expression.

The issue mostly is that it's too flat. There's no variation in shade and tone to show, and I can see a few big areas where it shows the most. These are the Omniwrench and Ratchet's face. The wrench is a block of colour, and the snout of the face has zero depth.

You could overcome a lot of this sort of trouble by considering changing the style some to your own, play around, see if you can't find something that fits you. With that you could achieve a more you style and effect, more immediately recognisable.

For a first time it's good. Very good. Your colour work is good and your shading and blending is pretty okay too, and can become even moreso, but it's far too obvious it's not built on your own style and that it's basically drawn directly over a reference image and that's what kills it through and through if you want it to be anything more than a persoanl pet project or practice. That lack of creativity, individuality, and stylistic expression greatly detracts from it.

"But scnonc, what does you meant?"

First off, that's not my username anymore, and second off, here's a quickie example of me drawing the same image, the same pose, but in a more unique style, which immediately serves to make this more my own from a creator's standpoint. I couldn't be bothered to finish it but I trust it helps illustrate the point how much of a difference imprinting your own style can change it and make it your own.

0d232eb67f24fbb413e5ec98cd569483.png

And here's a tease as to what I've been working on personally
646c480a82e2f64cc12d44caf5b42f57.png

2c839738e5caca1b2e4a0e636183a3c0.png

d464708670b12daf88a7fdcca313c50d.png

Reactions: List

Anleus

Proton
Nebulae
You've gone for something similar to what rotoscoping looks like in animation if you drew this (I don't want to say traced but that's it in essence), and didn't just use some filters, it's very clear to see, and it's a valid technique despite what some people say about it, but it does have the tendency to be immediately recognisable as a style and look like filters, leading to doubt when it's presented. It's a great way for a learning artist to get good with several techniques, often learning the tools and styles they can play around with rather than sheer expression.

The issue mostly is that it's too flat. There's no variation in shade and tone to show, and I can see a few big areas where it shows the most. These are the Omniwrench and Ratchet's face. The wrench is a block of colour, and the snout of the face has zero depth.

You could overcome a lot of this sort of trouble by considering changing the style some to your own, play around, see if you can't find something that fits you. With that you could achieve a more you style and effect, more immediately recognisable.

For a first time it's good. Very good. Your colour work is good and your shading and blending is pretty okay too, and can become even moreso, but it's far too obvious it's not built on your own style and that it's basically drawn directly over a reference image and that's what kills it through and through if you want it to be anything more than a persoanl pet project or practice. That lack of creativity, individuality, and stylistic expression greatly detracts from it.

First off, that's not my username anymore, and second off, here's a quickie example of me drawing the same image, the same pose, but in a more unique style, which immediately serves to make this more my own from a creator's standpoint. I couldn't be bothered to finish it but I trust it helps illustrate the point how much of a difference imprinting your own style can change it and make it your own.

Nice, thnx, and ye, I did draw it over a reference image lol, I have no idea how i'd do it myself 100% but I should practice on that

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Hi

@ConstantDisplay, if you had a problem with lighting, you could always turn it up in post-processing, in PS for example, or even Imgur photo editor. Either way, the pose mainly lacks of lighting and you should've added some soft, barely visible lighting to highlight that female there. Can't advise much more though, the filter you slapped onto it looks really good to me and can't complain about the concept. Is ok, even if a bit bland. You gotta try something new now and then though, eh?

@Heck, it's actually not too bad for a poster that could be made into something for OTA subforum, a short story, or anything alike. I have one big issue with it however - posing. When you hold a gun, you don't hold it infront of you, perpendicularly to your chest, you usually turn yourself a bit to the side and rest butt of your gat on your shoulder, instead of literally waving your gun in the air. Other than that though, it's actually alright and I like the edit very much. Could've maybe played a bit more with the lighting while keeping the same, cold, toned down colors that fit well with a picture of cybernetic, ruthless soldiers. I actually like this one, keep it up mang

@zigbomb, this one is which I liked the most of them all. Sadly, like @ConstantDisplay said, I also saw either something very similar to this one or exactly this thing as a dupe. Even if that'd be the case though, it's still really good shoot, lighted up and edited, same like rest of your poses, even though you use too much of standard HL2 sequences. Good job, it's really well made fam,
thumbup1.gif

@Anleas, as for a first time, not bad. I'm not much of a drawing, nor PhotoShop expert, so I direct you to @senselessArtist, @Hoovie the Apansenok or @RGB. Looks pretty close to the original to me, that's all I can say

@247-0006-0001 'Jimbo', I guess you're on the level on which most of the veterans are now, which limits my response to a simple
thumbup1.gif
because I can't say anything smart about your work

@Dallahan, @senselessArtist actually covered you for me, and since I wouldn't say anything helpful either way, then I'm just going to leave you with that blessed son of a bitch that knows something about drawing instead of me

@bjfgpkqkdmtnspwndsjt, I'm just waiting for the return of good old Lewis,
thumbup1.gif

@MangoJuicy, as @senselessArtist said, newcomers are always welcome here, that's honestly what this competition is made for, to give people initiative for improving themselves to the point, when I don't have a single word to say
As for most of beginners, I'd direct you towards our guides so you can get some more in-depth advices. Here, I'd aim for a more interesting camera angle, maybe something like this, just obviously replacing the characters from the movie poster with the respectful ones of your work. Rule of thirds can usually make your poster better and save a lot of empty space that here you have all over the upper half. I'd say that you'll learn more by reading our guides, so I won't waste any more of your time and will direct you straight to them. Good luck and keep on working your poses man, you actually touched faceposing and did it good, which not many of the beginners do. Hope you'll have a blast with posing,
thumbup1.gif

Grand guy of this week is unsurprisingly @senselessArtist, I should give you a ban now

min_min____by_senselessartist-dbng4go.jpg
The only shots I posted on here that used default animations were those composed and created in SFM. I was pretty new when I made those, and I was trying to tweak and figure out lighting, and the main idea of them was to be used in say a loading screen background with some blur on top of them. I only shared them here because I thought they were nice. I don't usually just use HL2 animations.

I tended do a lot of testing like that, for example here I tested sub-pixel jitter.
ED5C8F338930E5E9AE5A50FFCC1C0ED74D83A00C

1231F1B6144DE46AF1F74B14F66F0C59DA9629F2

There's a few things I posed in SFM, such as this:
2E0CF93C2EA94153544BC8763694CAC75F8884C3

B59D60402F131D9F435B2E9AB44702A1C83EAC54

I'm currently working on some things in Garry's Mod, I'll post those things in a bit.

Anleus

Proton
Nebulae
The only shots I posted on here that used default animations were those composed and created in SFM. I was pretty new when I made those, and I was trying to tweak and figure out lighting, and the main idea of them was to be used in say a loading screen background with some blur on top of them. I only shared them here because I thought they were nice. I don't usually just use HL2 animations.

I tended do a lot of testing like that, for example here I tested sub-pixel jitter.
ED5C8F338930E5E9AE5A50FFCC1C0ED74D83A00C

1231F1B6144DE46AF1F74B14F66F0C59DA9629F2

There's a few things I posed in SFM, such as this:
2E0CF93C2EA94153544BC8763694CAC75F8884C3

B59D60402F131D9F435B2E9AB44702A1C83EAC54

I'm currently working on some things in Garry's Mod, I'll post those things in a bit.
I disagree with what people say about using hl2 default animations is bad. They look good, and an animator from Valve made sure of that, so doesn't mean it shouldnt be used? They don't look bad. The CP ones actually look pretty menacing, like on your first pic.
So imo if the lighting and the scenery is good, then it's all good, like yours

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
I disagree with what people say about using hl2 default animations is bad. They look good, and an animator from Valve made sure of that, so doesn't mean it shouldnt be used? They don't look bad. The CP ones actually look pretty menacing, like on your first pic.
So imo if the lighting and the scenery is good, then it's all good, like yours
Nobody said they're bad, it's just that you see them too often, and compared to a fully custom pose, using these is just lazy af

They're really good for filling up the background, especially if you modify them a little bit, so they don't look like complete rip-offs from the game files, but otherwise you should limit their usage, as it's just a big "hey, look at me, I'm using pre-sets" in a competition that's aim is to make people improve their art skills, including posing itself

Anleus

Proton
Nebulae
Nobody said they're bad, it's just that you see them too often, and compared to a fully custom pose, using these is just lazy af

They're really good for filling up the background, especially if you modify them a little bit, so they don't look like complete rip-offs from the game files, but otherwise you should limit their usage, as it's just a big "hey, look at me, I'm using pre-sets" in a competition that's aim is to make people improve their art skills, including posing itself
Artists are lazy xD
that's why they're sometimes seen ctrl + c assets and put it into something else, but if it looks good then it's alright

more likely that would mean that they're paying attention to other details instead, for example lighting or scenery

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
Artists are lazy xD
that's why they're sometimes seen ctrl + c assets and put it into something else, but if it looks good then it's alright

more likely that would mean that they're paying attention to other details instead, for example lighting or scenery
If it looks good, and in most of the cases it just looks really lazy, thus bad

D

Deleted member 1381

holy shit ratchet and clank
the fucking zodiac gun that cost 4mil bolts for 4 ammo

Heck

Nucleus
Nebulae
5JRf74S.jpg