Nebulae
aD27Thd.jpg

:/
ok lets wrap this thread up

Reactions: List

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
90% of what made ck2 work is that you kind of have to use your imagination with all the text-based events and the small amount of suggestive art paired with the simple portraits, changing that might end up in disaster for how the game feels to play

D

Deleted member 4425

90% of what made ck2 work is that you kind of have to use your imagination with all the text-based events and the small amount of suggestive art paired with the simple portraits, changing that might end up in disaster for how the game feels to play
It was the story and feel of it. Probably my favorite thing about doing a ck2 campaign was thinking afterwards of how my dynasty appeared to modern outside people, and how it would change my life. Things like the fantasy events helped enrich the experience because I just thought to myself that the game didn’t represent what really happened, but rather the stories passed down through folklore that I played out in the game. I really hope they don’t go the much more realistic detailed route, the imagination and creativity applied to it are what makes ck2 and stellaris and eu4 so appealing to me

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Game director Henrik Fåhraeus says Paradox wanted to make a sequel that “should be more approachable, easier to get into,” than CK2, but that they also understood this clearly isn’t the main concern for series fans. Rest assured: Crusader Kings 3 looks anything but simplified. Still, a lot of time and money has been poured into a more user-friendly UI, and it shows. There are tooltips everywhere, and information seems less buried in menus and secret-feeling windows. For new players, an inobtrusive “suggestion” window offers information at a glance on what’s possible at any given time – what titles you’re in line for, what wars could you start, who needs marrying off, etc. It’s easy for veterans to ignore, but it’s a useful dashboard. Also, Ireland – long CK2’s “tutorial island” – is now the setting for an official tutorial.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
i really and profoundly dislike how ck3 looks from the small amount they've shown, very disappoing to see the visual route they've gone down, wouldn't even guess ck2 and 3 were in the same franchise at this point

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
If they keep modding even if it's shit wait a year and the modding community will actually make a good game

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
the UI does look kinda shit on a visual level but it seems to relay information rather well and honestly that's all i ask since a lot of the UI in CK2 is god awful at it

as long as it at least as feature rich as CK2 is at the current state i think it'll be fine (altho the 3d portraits do look kinda gay but if it gives me clothing customization i'm all for it :eyes: )

Last edited:

Tzula

Molecule
Nebulae
Let's not forget that paradox just announced a new werewolf the apocalypse game too.

The trailer was so fucking edgy lmao.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/paradox-answers-12-major-questions-about-crusader-kings-3

cool article, things i noted the most are:

Cadet branches and more in-depth dynastic mechanics:

In history, noble houses often broke up into multiple branches that didn't always work together. A notable example is the Yorks and the Lancasters who fought for control of England in the Wars of the Roses—both were branches of the House Plantagenet. This has been one of the most requested features for Crusader Kings fans for years, and Crusader Kings 3 is finally making it happen.

"We call them houses," Fåhresus says. "So you can have House Dunkeld of the dynasty Dunkeld, because it's the original house. Each house has words, which is just flavor. It also has a house head. There is one character per house who has certain powers over everybody in that house, [like] for example, legitimizing bastards. That kind of stuff. And I have that power even if they are not in my realm. There is also the dynasty head who has other types of powers over the entire dynasty."

Expanded intrigue and spying mechanics:

Intrigue in Crusader Kings 3 is greatly expanded from Crusader Kings 2, using a system of secrets, favors, and 'Hooks' to craft schemes. Basically, getting dirt on your enemies, vassals, and even liege can give you leverage over them that can shield you from their aggressions and force them to do your bidding.

"There's now blackmail in the game," Fåhreus explains. "Characters have secrets. If you murdered someone, that might become a secret I can find out. And there are also secret traits. So if someone is a sexual deviant, and I know that, I can blackmail that person. So we call things like favors and blackmail and other things, like mental manipulation—other flavorful things—we're calling them 'Hooks' right now. And Hooks are something I can spend to get my way. And just by sitting on a Hook, they know that I know their secret. It means they won't attack me. So it's good to have these Hooks. And you want to spy on other characters to keep them in line, which is all about the intrigue gameplay we want to foster."

Almost everything playable at launch:

Unlike the vanilla version of Crusader Kings 2, however, all feudal, tribal, and clan leaders (which is basically everyone except republics and theocracies) will be playable at launch regardless of their religion. Historically nomadic realms like the Cumans and Magyars will be playable, but will use tribal mechanics and not feature any nomad-specific mechanics. Paradox has no plans to make us buy "the Muslim expansion" or "the Pagan expansion" to unlock most of the map again.

You can rule through fear:

Crusader Kings 3 will let you rule with an iron fist, Fåhreus says.

"Characters actually have a Dread value, so you can sort of keep your vassals in line by fear," he explains. "And that's actually an alternative to being a benevolent ruler. You gain Dread by torturing important people, executing them, and so on. Fear is viable while you're alive, but when your heir takes over, he will inherit your bad opinion to some degree. But he will not be feared, so he will be in a pretty bad situation. That's the idea."

Reddit thread where the writer of the article has a few more things to say that weren't used in the interview, some of which were pretty interesting:

Historical events like the Mongol Invasion are in. Dynamic epidemics from Reaper's Due are not in, as they didn't feel that feature worked very well. No word on how the plague will be handled.

Characters still get sick and are treated by Court Physicians.

Splendour is like your Dynasty XP. It's used to buy Legacies, which are kind of like national ideas in EU4 and stay with your dynasty forever. One of these lets you increase the chances of inheriting congenital traits, if you want to create a dynasty of stong genius ubermensch. It's not realistic but it is a playstyle they want to support.

Foreigners don't care about Dread, only your own vassals.

You only need to siege the fortified holdings to occupy an entire county. Castles are automatically fortified, but cities and churches are not unless you have built walls in them.

Factions are back. Peasants can now found factions. One example given was that Norwegian peasants living under a Danish king can found a self-rule faction, and Norwegian culture nobles will join them. Like a combination of a CK2 faction and a peasant revolt, very powerful.

And these, which I'm very excited about since it enhances the character focus of the game:

Much more events that deal with interpersonal drama and people important to the player, like family/friends/rivals.

Events can look back at how the relationship between two characters has developed over many years and generate content for them dynamically.

But lest not forget the most important one of all:

Zoroastrians can still have incest, naturally, and you can reform any religion to allow it now.