Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

Spine

All toasters toast toast.
Nebulae
Taken from the Half-Life Alyx trailer:

aaaaa.PNG

Crx5ur5.png
Nah my mans, it's somewhere in Bulgaria. Near the coast of the Black Sea, you can also see some romanian signs as well, might be at the border with it as well, who knows.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
just listening to mister valve news network talk about this game is giving me some scary vibes. I want this to be a good game and i like half life, i'm just afraid of this being a massively overhyped product that will have some massive glaring issues once it launches

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
just listening to mister valve news network talk about this game is giving me some scary vibes. I want this to be a good game and i like half life, i'm just afraid of this being a massively overhyped product that will have some massive glaring issues once it launches
I mean it's a VR game so I imagine that'll play a part in any issues

Although must say, they've put in a lot of work to make it as user friendly as possible; adding in locomotion as an after-thought for example

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I mean it's a VR game so I imagine that'll play a part in any issues

Although must say, they've put in a lot of work to make it as user friendly as possible; adding in locomotion as an after-thought for example
Exactly, the vr part is what makes me the most worried. It's not like we're getting a standard flagship issue of a game from a developer that is known for doing this type of stuff before. For all intents and purposes, it's the first AAA full vr game made for vr, and just because it's valve who's made it doesn't mean that can come with some problems.

It's really just completely new ground, and no one is really quite sure what we're getting, but we still think it's going to be brilliant. Just smells danger and disappointment to me.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It's really just completely new ground, and no one is really quite sure what we're getting, but we still think it's going to be brilliant. Just smells danger and disappointment to me.
I think the same was true with HL2 back in 2004. Valve were the first to really push all that back then and I'm sure the same feeling was present for a lot of people back in the day with what source was promising and stuff.

They have a lot to live up but still, even just looking at those VR test levels made me feel like I was back in it.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
If HL:A Doesn't work out, got a shit ton of vr games I can have a great time with instead.
Been on the same batch of games since early december.

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I'll be real lads; I haven't felt the same way in a game as I did looking up at the WIP Citadel only to see a Hunter Chopper pass over the streets I was under in a very long time.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I think the same was true with HL2 back in 2004. Valve were the first to really push all that back then and I'm sure the same feeling was present for a lot of people back in the day with what source was promising and stuff.

They have a lot to live up to though.
HL2 was different in 2004, sure, but it wasn't quite like they were pushing a game through a near unexplored medium like they're doing now with VR. Large scale action shooters existed before HL2, the original Half Life is even in and of itself a proof of that, but there's no large scale triple-A VR puzzle-action-shooter at all, hell there's not even a large scale triple-A VR game.

People don't quite know what they're getting in to, especially the large audience of gamers who haven't been consistently playing smaller scale VR games for a while now who are just now getting into VR because of HL:A. It feels to me like a massive leap of faith, really. I hope it'll work out and I obviously want it to be good, but I'm still very concerned that this could very well be the let-down of the decade.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
HL2 was different in 2004, sure, but it wasn't quite like they were pushing a game through a near unexplored medium like they're doing now with VR. Large scale action shooters existed before HL2, the original Half Life is even in and of itself a proof of that, but there's no large scale triple-A VR puzzle-action-shooter at all, hell there's not even a large scale triple-A VR game.
I dunno I wouldn't say they weren't pushing boundries/unexplored mediums

HL2 had no cutscenes, had an emphasis on a physics engine for gameplay/puzzles. It was 100% a step forward towards good writing and story based experiences in gaming. If anything HL1 and HL2 paved the way for stories in gaming.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I dunno I wouldn't say they weren't pushing boundries/unexplored mediums

HL2 had no cutscenes, had an emphasis on a physics engine for gameplay/puzzles. It was 100% a step forward towards good writing and story based experiences in gaming. If anything HL1 and HL2 paved the way for stories in gaming.
I agree 100%. I think both Half Lives were massive pillars of gaming and should be held up on their rightful pedestal.

But that being said though. You still played HL2 with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. You entered the game and you knew what to do because you knew what you were getting into, at least on a basic level. At the end of the day, the most basic of operations were the same as when you played any other shooter or first person game; you walk about with your keyboard, look at your monitor and click on heads with your mouse. That's not really the case with HL:A.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
I agree 100%. I think both Half Lives were massive pillars of gaming and should be held up on their rightful pedestal.

But that being said though. You still played HL2 with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. You entered the game and you knew what to do because you knew what you were getting into, at least on a basic level. At the end of the day, the most basic of operations were the same as when you played any other shooter or first person game; you walk about with your keyboard, look at your monitor and click on heads with your mouse. That's not really the case with HL:A.
Valve have said though, they believe the new VR experience is way better because it comes so naturally, the things you want to do don't require buttons, you literally just use your hands to do them. It's something they've spent ages on getting right and all the play testers have said that it's definitely been worth every minute of their time. I have full faith that it'll be amazing since they've put all their efforts into putting natural playability first.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Valve have said though, they believe the new VR experience is way better because it comes so naturally, the things you want to do don't require buttons, you literally just use your hands to do them. It's something they've spent ages on getting right and all the play testers have said that it's definitely been worth every minute of their time. I have full faith that it'll be amazing since they've put all their efforts into putting natural playability first.
I appreciate and hear all of that sales talk, but none of it really matters until the unwashed masses of gamers get their grubby hands on all of this stuff. I've seen too many grand promises that fell flat to actually trust it properly now, even if it's coming from valve. They're doing something bold, but that doesn't mean it'll work as great as people think it will.

That's also worth saying, I've seen Valve flop, crash, burn and neglect too much in playing dota 2 to actually put the same amount of blind trust in their product like a lot maniacal fans right now.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
I appreciate and hear all of that sales talk, but none of it really matters until the unwashed masses of gamers get their grubby hands on all of this stuff. I've seen too many grand promises that fell flat to actually trust it properly now, even if it's coming from valve. They're doing something bold, but that doesn't mean it'll work as great as people think it will.

That's also worth saying, I've seen Valve flop, crash, burn and neglect too much in playing dota 2 to actually put the same amount of blind trust in their product like a lot maniacal fans right now.
I understand what's been said with the worries about the game. There's been some definite failures in regards to things like artifact but we all known that isn't Valve's best work.

If the game flops or is terrible, I feel as if everyone could agree that it's the end of Valve probably making games at all and the end of an era.

If the game does bloody amazing and lives up to expectations then we've got alot to see coming.