Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
Hahaha i wish artifact was valve's worst dota-2-franchise related flop
my problem with hl alyx is it seems it won't have any stakes. they're capturing eli again but we know nothing will happen to him already and maybe russel will die but we will only know him for the duration of this new tech demo. i guess lore people will have fun with all the new in-universe additions but i can't see how the story will be entertaining - i'd love to see it prove me wrong though

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
my problem with hl alyx is it seems it won't have any stakes. they're capturing eli again but we know nothing will happen to him already and maybe russel will die but we will only know him for the duration of this new tech demo. i guess lore people will have fun with all the new in-universe additions but i can't see how the story will be entertaining - i'd love to see it prove me wrong though
I have a sneaking suspicion that this will do some funky stuff with the timeline and relates all back to post Episode 2

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
I have a sneaking suspicion that this will do some funky stuff with the timeline and relates all back to post Episode 2
yes we all hope that because of the eli 'close your eyes honey' but i highly doubt valve will really intertwine the prequel and sequel into one game tbh

Reactions: List

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
everybody's comparing the jump to vr to physics engines or seamless storytelling, but that's really not an accurate comparison; for some fucking reason all of you are missing the really big important comparison here though:

hl2 required you to download steam

think about it, steam is to hl2 what vr is to hla
  • brand new, mostly-unproven technology
  • significant amounts of people complained about it
  • had a fair amount of launch problems
  • lots of speculation that it was risky on valve's part to push a new technology using a long-awaited half life sequel
and then steam went on to start the digital distribution gold rush, started killing off physical retailers, made valve assloads of money, completely changed how the industry approached selling games, and all the uproar about steam being terrible is long forgotten

hell, many big AAA companies have stopped doing physical discs at all, it's just a case with a digital download code inside; many more are developing their own digital distribution platforms

it's still up in the air whether or not vr will play out the same way, and with steam you didn't have to pay $300+, but why wouldn't valve try to bank on the same sort of thing happening again?

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
Screenshot_20200311-160619_Twitter.jpg

half life alyx is a trans psy-op

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
everybody's comparing the jump to vr to physics engines or seamless storytelling, but that's really not an accurate comparison; for some fucking reason all of you are missing the really big important comparison here though:

hl2 required you to download steam

think about it, steam is to hl2 what vr is to hla
  • brand new, mostly-unproven technology
  • significant amounts of people complained about it
  • had a fair amount of launch problems
  • lots of speculation that it was risky on valve's part to push a new technology using a long-awaited half life sequel
and then steam went on to start the digital distribution gold rush, started killing off physical retailers, made valve assloads of money, completely changed how the industry approached selling games, and all the uproar about steam being terrible is long forgotten

hell, many big AAA companies have stopped doing physical discs at all, it's just a case with a digital download code inside; many more are developing their own digital distribution platforms

it's still up in the air whether or not vr will play out the same way, and with steam you didn't have to pay $300+, but why wouldn't valve try to bank on the same sort of thing happening again?
based post

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Half Life Alyx only allows you to see your hands so horny gamers don‘t look at Alyx‘s tits for an hour, change my mind

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Half Life Alyx only allows you to see your hands so horny gamers don‘t look at Alyx‘s tits for an hour, change my mind
Id feel bad for the QA team who has to search it for bugs for a month straight

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
The final PC upgrade on my to-do list is arriving this weekend.
Last Bottleneck was the CPU, has been a surprisingly big deal since VR has a metric fuck ton of physics objects.
With my 1st gen ryzen 5, some boneworks levels would tank performance because there were simply too many physics objects.
a14ece7122fbc781b627f7ee7f0157a5.png

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae
The final PC upgrade on my to-do list is arriving this weekend.
Last Bottleneck was the CPU, has been a surprisingly big deal since VR has a metric fuck ton of physics objects.
With my 1st gen ryzen 5, some boneworks levels would tank performance because there were simply too many physics objects.
a14ece7122fbc781b627f7ee7f0157a5.png

i feel this cpu bottleneck so much.
sitting on an intel core i7 4770 here, really need to upgrade this fucker.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
coronavirus has put a spanner in my plan to visit my brother to play this
no fucking way am i getting on a bus or train fuck that shit

ive waited 13 years for half life alyx, i can wait a few more months

fuck it, /letsplaygang/