Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
He'll do what every other shit tier youtuber has done when they got VR
Start randomly groping everyone because they think it's funny.

watching blade and sorcery VR videos

youtuber starts straight up raping and molesting female enemies because "hurr random"

the life of someone who can only watch vr

Reactions: List

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
I am back. I am back here for one reason. I need answers. I'm still a die hard HL fan.

Does this setup work? Can I play with it?
Intel Core i5-7400
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 OS

Thanks neb. See you again in a year.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
watching blade and sorcery VR videos

youtuber starts straight up raping and molesting female enemies because "hurr random"

the life of someone who can only watch vr
It's so fucking annoying that these are the kind of videos that most people will likely stumble into when seeing if VR is for them.
[doublepost=1584482324][/doublepost]
I am back. I am back here for one reason. I need answers. I'm still a die hard HL fan.

Intel Core i5-7400
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 OS

sorry lad, I reckon you are bellow min spec for all your parts.
RAM needs to be at least 12GB, and I believe your intel core is below min spec as well (they use AMD Ryzen 5 gen 1 as minspec, which has a higher clockspeed and more cores than your CPU).
Not 100% sure on your GPU, but I imagine 3GB will not be enough.

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
sorry lad, I reckon you are bellow min spec for all your parts.
RAM needs to be at least 12GB, and I believe your intel core is below min spec as well (they use AMD Ryzen 5 gen 1 as minspec, which has a higher clockspeed and more cores than your CPU).
Not 100% sure on your GPU, but I imagine 3GB will not be enough.
Im below minimum, ye, but do you think I can get away with that? Just less consistent frame rates. I can play blade and sorcery which is the same/slightly higher specs.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Im below minimum, ye, but do you think I can get away with that? Just less consistent frame rates. I can play blade and sorcery which is the same/slightly higher specs.
I'd mostly put that to blade and sorcery not being well optimized.
The thing that scares me the most for you is the CPU being bellow min spec, while blade and sorcery doesn't have a lot of active physics objects in the maps outside of ragdolls and some props, HLA is far more heavy on that kind of content, which is going to kick the arse of your CPU if it can't handle it all.

Might be worth seeing how well your PC does playing boneworks, not from a graphical perspective, but more so from CPU usage.

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
I'd mostly put that to blade and sorcery not being well optimized.
The thing that scares me the most for you is the CPU being bellow min spec, while blade and sorcery doesn't have a lot of active physics objects in the maps outside of ragdolls and some props, HLA is far more heavy on that kind of content, which is going to kick the arse of your CPU if it can't handle it all.

Might be worth seeing how well your PC does playing boneworks, not from a graphical perspective, but more so from CPU usage.
Oh, I have bone works! Works pretty well. Only time I’ve actually struggled is when I had the tower mission with a bunch of enemies and stuff. Other than that, perfect FPS.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
deadass covid19 is stopping me from playing this fucking game bro
[doublepost=1584487087][/doublepost]
b1c321a4d2f17eff23897a52b6c26d15.png

kinooooooooooooo

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
deadass covid19 is stopping me from playing this fucking game bro
[doublepost=1584487087][/doublepost]
b1c321a4d2f17eff23897a52b6c26d15.png

kinooooooooooooo
ah thank god, won't have to spend my first day off on release downloading the damn game!

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae

Intel Core i5-7400
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 OS

I had the same GFX card you have rn, and it will struggle with most VR games aswell as your CPU. 4GB Vram is minimum required for most released VR games nowadays. Although CPU can be excused in most VR games as they're more GPU heavy, but im not sure half life will run due to the amount of physics it need to handle

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
i’m happy i’ll be able to play it from launch as it doesn’t come out till 5pm my time so even if school is on I won’t miss much

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
I had the same GFX card you have rn, and it will struggle with most VR games aswell as your CPU. 4GB Vram is minimum required for most released VR games nowadays. Although CPU can be excused in most VR games as they're more GPU heavy, but im not sure half life will run due to the amount of physics it need to handle
my graphics card works for a lot of others games, so ima just wing it

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Pain continues
New motherboard arrived for my PC.
Took out the old board, which was pain because Dell's pre-built put cables and components in weird places (some inside of the walls of the case) and once I went around to putting in the new board, I found out my case is too small. So I've had to reinstall the board again.
Much to my surprise, didn't make any mistakes installing that board again, suppose I am an expert!

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
Pain continues
New motherboard arrived for my PC.
Took out the old board, which was pain because Dell's pre-built put cables and components in weird places (some inside of the walls of the case) and once I went around to putting in the new board, I found out my case is too small. So I've had to reinstall the board again.
Much to my surprise, didn't make any mistakes installing that board again, suppose I am an expert!
Pull the ultimate gamer move and take a handheld saw to your case, just make it fit.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Pull the ultimate gamer move and take a handheld saw to your case, just make it fit.
Not quite gonna work unless I wanna saw out my power supply too.
I've been upgrading a pre-built dell, so I imagine it was all made custom for that, doesn't lend well to upgrade potential.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
Not quite gonna work unless I wanna saw out my power supply too.
I've been upgrading a pre-built dell, so I imagine it was all made custom for that, doesn't lend well to upgrade potential.
Yeah, the only thing limiting me is my GPU but it's a 1050-ti so I'll still be able to run HL:A just a bit lower than planned.

But in order to upgrade I need a new PSU as the 1050ti uses the motherboard for power :(

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Alright folks,
If you have Half-Life Alyx, you can start Pre-loading now!
ETlnXf6UMAALc-B

Just be prepared, the game is 48GB in size.
And a fun fact, Half-Life 2 was 2.4GB
2004 was a long time ago...​