a bad memer
Nebulae
@Kafe
3daa76fdae99a9f415c4993067843a2e.png

Reactions: List

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
The grabbity gloves are actually made of the skin of Eli’s lost leg. Sorry to spoil it but it had to be said.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
A review of HL:A was sent out this morning with EDGE magazine's accidental launch for their May edition magazine. You can find the review here, pretty interesting to read through although it's written by someone who's never played VR and only uses teleport so it's a bit iffy in places. Overall score came to a 9/10 with only 5 games ever getting a 10 from them.

There may be spoilers in here be warned, I'm yet to read the whole thing but as with everything, if you don't want things spoiled don't read anything to do with HL:A until you're done.

Last edited:

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
to quote the review:
"russel, a would-be black mesa scientist"
you have to wonder if they mean Russel would have been a scientist working there (like Mossman, who was going to get Gordon's job until he beat her out of the position due to his experience as Innsbruck) or it's just a metaphorical example.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
to quote the review:

you have to wonder if they mean Russel would have been a scientist working there (like Mossman, who was going to get Gordon's job until he beat her out of the position due to his experience as Innsbruck) or it's just a metaphorical example.

I think it's quite possible that it's some character backstory although I don't think it would carry any real importance for the story, I think it was quite obvious that Russel was some kind of wacky scientist one way or another, similair to Kleiner.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I think it's quite possible that it's some character backstory although I don't think it would carry any real importance for the story, I think it was quite obvious that Russel was some kind of wacky scientist one way or another, similair to Kleiner.
it's going to be very interesting if he is, since out of all the post-HL2 characters we have these as ex-employees:
  • Breen
  • Mossman
  • Eli
  • Kleiner
  • Barney
  • Gordon himself
  • Magnusson
  • Alyx (as a baby)
[spinoffs / unknown fates]
  • Rosenberg
  • Walter
  • Simmons
  • Keller
  • Gina Cross
  • Colette Green
Seriously, the only people who weren't employees are Dog, Cubbage, Grigori and the G-man himself.

77% of all named characters in the HL2 universe pre-HL: Alyx worked with the company in some capacity.
Hmm, 77%...

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
it's going to be very interesting if he is, since out of all the post-HL2 characters we have these as ex-employees:
  • Breen
  • Mossman
  • Eli
  • Kleiner
  • Barney
  • Gordon himself
  • Magnusson
  • Alyx (as a baby)
[spinoffs / unknown fates]
  • Rosenberg
  • Walter
  • Simmons
  • Keller
  • Gina Cross
  • Colette Green
Seriously, the only people who weren't employees are Dog, Cubbage, Grigori and the G-man himself.

77% of all named characters in the HL2 universe pre-HL: Alyx worked with the company in some capacity.
Hmm, 77%...
I think it'll be quite interesting to see if it is mentioned at all, be it a key point in conversation or a subtle line or joke through your earpiece during the gameplay. The review says that Russel is akin to Wheatley in that he's constantly throwing jokes that apparantly land but that is yet to be seen, or heard in this case.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
review is invalid
For a huge proportion of people, and quite a few members of our community, HL:A will be the first big step in VR for them. This review is just as valid as anything else. This person experiences VR first hand in a world hand crafted for years and said it was one of the best experiences he's had, VR expert or not, he still can tell someone whether he had fun or not.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
For a huge proportion of people, and quite a few members of our community, HL:A will be the first big step in VR for them. This review is just as valid as anything else. This person experiences VR first hand in a world hand crafted for years and said it was one of the best experiences he's had, VR expert or not, he still can tell someone whether he had fun or not.
If I want a review of a good car I wouldn't go to the guy who doesn't know shit about cars. Same thing about videogames. I wouldn't really believe the opinion of somebody who is new to the field.

Hence why the game should have gotten 10/10.

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
If I want a review of a good car I wouldn't go to the guy who doesn't know shit about cars. Same thing about videogames. I wouldn't really believe the opinion of somebody who is new to the field.

He's by no stretch of the imagination new to video games, he's new to VR. They're two different things, he's reviewed hundreds of games over his time with EDGE. He has a massive amount of experience reviewing video games, it's just his first time playing them in VR. He's reviewing it as a game, not as a VR headset. Sure, if he was reviewing the VR headset I'd understand but he's reviewing a game. HL:A is going to be compared to hundreds of flat screen games, such as it's predecessors. He has loads of experience, just not experience in playing in VR.

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae

wouldn't go as far as saying he never played a videogame before. VR or not, if you think a game is fun or not doesn't require in depth knowledge.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
I misphrased my last post. I meant somebody who's new to the medium. I can trust his opinion as someone with loads of experience on flatscreen games, but I'll definitely think of his HLA review as a casual one.

Think about Dean Takahashi, the Cuphead reviewer guy, for example. He couldn't even play the game's tutorial properly: would you really consider his review of the title as valid?