Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
i have a sneaking suspicion that the gene-coded weapons thing is just a gameplay mechanic to justify the player not being able to pick up weapons from dead combine soldiers, especially seeing as how gordon and even regular citizens are able to pick up ar2s from dead soldiers in hl2.
Russell does go on to mention that there are „unbonded“ ones
image0.png

Reactions: List

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Technically not a spoiler, Alyx confirms there are still pets in the world and in cities. At least cats, although since it's a prequel it is possible that in the future they all just die out

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Shrike updated review:

I've now gotten to the parts in the game where you face enemies that shoot and you get into firefights proper, with my current setup of having to stand mostly still in place, not being able to move around freely because of tracking and all of that makes it almost impossible for me to have fun shooting things that shoot back, and much less able to actually progress in the game.

I'll continue trying for a bit, if nothing works I'll just have to drag the difficulty down to the least it can get and just stand out in the open and bang bang the bullet sponges.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
Technically not a spoiler, Alyx confirms there are still pets in the world and in cities. At least cats, although since it's a prequel it is possible that in the future they all just die out
it's only five years in da past tho

not a spoiler fuck you!!!!

Vertigo

I'm going to the gym now! I swear!
Nebulae
Did anyone else find the creepy radio easter egg or was that just me?

welcome to the Retirement

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
my headset literally degraded and broke down as i went through the game.

by the ending my hdmi cable was bust, the sound was off and the one working lens had red sparkles in it all the time

still, 100% worth it.

Chezburger

american idiot
Nebulae
my headset literally degraded and broke down as i went through the game.

by the ending my hdmi cable was bust, the sound was off and the one working lens had red sparkles in it all the time

still, 100% worth it.
dw bro, you were just looking through russels pov, maybe alyxs headset was busted

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Nova's Review - Entire game completed.

Okay, this is going to be a long one. I'm going to try and format this as best as possible. There will NOT be any spoilers in this post, i may make a separate post or thread for spoiler discussion.

All i can say it WOW.

Graphics: This is arguably not only one of the most graphically stunning VR games, but also one of the best looking games I've played to date. Textures are fantastic. The lighting is fantastic, Reflections are crazy good and the way that light bounces off of surfaces is great too. The dark is done so incredibly well, as instead of it being BLACK it's just the absence of light. Lots of dynamic lights where it matters.

Sound design is one of the best i've heard in a game, let alone a VR game. Weapons sound punchy, the atmosphere is dripping with... atmosphere. One of my all time favorite things, is the fact that your clothes rustle when doing things. No more do i sound silent when moving my arms around, or crouching. The voice acting is great, and the writing here is really good too. Alyx was definitely the weakest, and her lines and delivery was still strong.

Pacing is really good. Initially the game kind of feels like a bit of a drag, but that could be because it wants to spend time making sure it equips people with the knowledge to be good at the game. There's plenty of puzzles, some of which are incredibly cool and make full use of the VR. No more floating boxes to leverage a seesaw. Perspective, reach and a degree of stealth are used for both static and dynamic puzzles. I'm glad it takes the time to really kick in, because it kicks in -hard-. I played it on hard difficulty and was very challenged.

Finally, the story and the ending. What started off as a pretty basic story, left me jaw dropped at the end. A good twist, great challenges and a loss for words final 20 minutes made this game not only my favorite VR games, but one of my favorite games.

PLEASE. If you haven't got a VR headset, get one. If you can't afford it, do yourself a massive favour and PLEASE watch a no commentary playthrough. With me being in lockdown, this is on my list of things to do.

This truly is a masterpiece.

Nebulae
Finished the game.

Half Life 3 confirmed

And the way they wrapped all the events together to fit the story line so perfectly is astonishing.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Why does he know what a giraffe is, why did he place it next to a CP
Why is the metrocop holding a HL2 stunstick if this drawing is from HL:A
Kids know what giraffes are, Simman. I doubt the combine invading would just purge giraffes from children's pool of knowledge. And as for kids it's confirmed the kids aren't just killed, so he probably just drew 'good cop man' beside the giraffe.

As for the stunstick, I'm not sure. Probably just didn't think about it.

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
Is there any way to get the image file of this? I love it so much. I want it in my character's store.

Uu6OpMf.jpg

What's the significance of this being dated 1999-2000? Didn't society function sort of normally after the Black Mesa incident?

yyXtXO2.jpg