Serious Script Economy is not my concern

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
this mindset kinda sucks. dont know why people arent allowed to care about their characters. theres a big difference between being sad that your character is gone and bitching around on forums over it
That's absolutely not what I'm saying at all. I've once had a very long character arc on a character that led to them taking their own life. It felt like the only path to take for the character's personality and history, it was extremely unfortunate and I genuinely grieved over it. I vehemently believe that it's perfectly okay to grow attached to your own character and if you don't, you're weird in my eyes.

But this doesn't change the fact that OOC and IC must be seperated. Death is out of your control. Sometimes, a situation is just too valid for a PK, either because it's the natural logical end to an arc, because it provides such great development for so many other characters, or ideally a mixture of both. This doesn't mean you should take the PK like an emotionless sociopath, I've never not felt bad about a character dying in all my years, but I will never NOT take the PK if it's an ideal situation for it, it's a positive thing to happen in a lot of circumstances.
Then just do away with the redundant text chat and enable voice.
I would probably not play here anymore if it was voice chat, ngl. I just can't get immersed at all and it becomes hard to roleplay for me

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
Not wanting the server to have in-game VC enabled only to then permit VC chats in discords depending on certain criteria really don’t sit right with me tbh.

It ought to be one or the other, and I know which one I’d prefer.

In other words:
I would probably not play here anymore if it was voice chat, ngl. I just can't get immersed at all and it becomes hard to roleplay for me

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
Not wanting the server to have in-game VC enabled only to then permit VC chats in discords depending on certain criteria really don’t sit right with me tbh.

In other words:
I hate voice-based rp servers lol
I don't actually play this but I know I wouldn't have touched the WW3RP relaunch if it was voice-based.
Coalition did well somehow, there was not a lot of people using discord there at all. Different culture compared to NATO, perhaps.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the best way I think is to try to at least double-speak. Talk in game and in VC at the same time. I do it, and I encourage others to do it too. VC is fun to be in, but don't exclude others because they're not in your cool discord.

also hello alex!!
the few times I went in vc I assumed that's what everybody did, so that's what I did, as otherwise metagame (it is). But people just don't seem to care, it was in the TS3 days and it really put me off roleplaying knowing that there was a large part of the community partaking in this.

Eventually I did just forget about it and resume roleplaying as normal but I would be lying if I said it wasn't off putting.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
i hate using vc it's annoying lol

however, transferring information to those who are offline due to timezone-related reasons or otherwise is an issue without sorta, discord / forum / ooc methods at times

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
You're never in a million years going to prove 90% of the people who're sitting in Disc are doing just that.

Its why we stopped trying to punish rebels using voice as far back as LP - both sides can do it because the practicalities of enforcing otherwise are nuts.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae

This is exactly my point.

I hate voice-based rp servers lol
I don't actually play this but I know I wouldn't have touched the WW3RP relaunch if it was voice-based.
Then why allow voice to be used in any manner?

however, transferring information to those who are offline due to timezone-related reasons or otherwise is an issue without sorta, discord / forum / ooc methods at times
However using that information without your character learning it in-game is metagaming.

Cindy

Nebulae
This is exactly my point.

Not to mention like- Okay, you're choosing to allow voice chat and also choosing to allow it to take place on a third party platform that is virtually impossible to moderate efficiently???

I am in awe. I don't want to come off as mean-spirited to the people who have seen this as the norm for so long, but I genuinely believed this was common sense. Even with all the explanations in this thread, my brain cannot comprehend the rationale.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Not to mention like- Okay, you're choosing to allow voice chat and also choosing to allow it to take place on a third party platform that is virtually impossible to moderate efficiently???

I am in awe. I don't want to come off as mean-spirited to the people who have seen this as the norm for so long, but I genuinely believed this was common sense. Even with all the explanations in this thread, my brain cannot comprehend the rationale.
If people wanted some hybrid of text with sometimes voice, it should be done using in-game voice anyway.
idk a minority of players get angery they cant sit in discord
Then accept the permaban for metagaming? I don't see the issue

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
you would unironically lose over 50% of the active cop playerbase if you banned people for being in discord while on-server

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you would unironically lose over 50% of the active cop playerbase if you banned people for being in discord while on-server
good, why would anyone want them to play then

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
So 50% of the server want it to be voice based?

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Voice is going to happen one way or another, I dunno what kicking up shit by trying to haphazardly enforce it is going to do. How're you ever going to prove people aren't sitting in a call in the middle of S2K? That's impossible.

Its not like the TS3 days where people really only had that one option and it was easy to track.

We literally dealt with this (and did away with it) in 2015 for a reason, and that was when it was easier than it was now.

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
On the one hand, I agree that using VC is unfair and metagaming and should not be a thing, it's also really difficult to moderate as well.
On the other though, I'd feel bad for people whose idea of fun is deploying and VCing and who actually use both and do not exclude non-voice chatters if it was completely outlawed, which I still think should happen.

Now, I don't know if this represents 50% of them. but It's usually the same 6-7 people who sit in a VC during deployments to communicate.

Cindy

Nebulae

Not to be snide, but I'd rather have a smaller population count of people who're more likely to play in the spirit of the server they're participating in than have a large population count where half of them are playing a completely different game than everyone else.

I'm in the corner for making changes that would create a healthier rp environment, and people that don't like the changes that are necessary to achieve that—whatever those changes may be—can either shape up or ship out.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Voice is going to happen one way or another, I dunno what kicking up shit by trying to haphazardly enforce it is going to do. How're you ever going to prove people aren't sitting in a call in the middle of S2K? That's impossible.

Its not like the TS3 days where people really only had that one option and it was easy to track.

We literally dealt with this (and did away with it) in 2015 for a reason, and that was when it was easier than it was now.
That doesn't change the fact that it's clearly metagaming though? I don't understand why we should accept this demand that the server remain text based yet supposedly 50% of the players would leave if they're unable to basically RP with voice anyway.

Now, I don't know if this represents 50% of them. but It's usually the same 6-7 people who sit in a VC during deployments to communicate.
Genuine question, why can't those people use in-game voice if it were enabled for specific circumstances?

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk why its really a big discussion

its a text based server so ban using vc for ingame communication. most of the time you can tell who is doing it so just ban them

alternatively, just turn on the ingame voice chat feature so that its a fair playing field

theres more options than just saying 'it wont work' and letting the issue persist

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
So 50% of the server want it to be voice based?
50% of the cop playerbase, apparently yea lol

ridiculous
not to be snide. but I'd rather have a smaller population count of people who're more likely to play in the spirit of the server they're participating in than have a large population count where half of them are playing a completely different game than everyone else
yea same - i know what you mean