• Another Gmod server

• The Devs should make their own game

• Other

• Transfer current stuff to UE4

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I feel like the only thing that neb could branch in to is ww3rp cause if the community were to fail and start over i feel like it wont be hl2rp anymore
When Neb eventually does shut down (and I mean obviously it'll happen eventually as all communities do) a lot of the folks have already said they'd drift away from the scene entirely.

@char is right though - Neb is in a good spot right now. I've said this before but we're doing better than we were on CW nightly, Stasiland is coming up soon which'll draw people in who'll drift between the servers (as I'm sure a lot of players will in general). I'm not sure why some people view the two servers as a sudden competition when they're both under the same banner and a massive boon for the community as a whole.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
"The devs should make their own game" includes porting whatever it is into UE4, although I'll add that option since quite a few people mentioned it

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
"The devs should make their own game" includes porting whatever it is into UE4, although I'll add that option since quite a few people mentioned it
A lot of reasons prevent this even being something that we'd ever consider, aside from the fact we've done HL2 RP for a very long time; trademark, licensing and other legal issues because we don't actually own any rights to HL2.

I've been partially following the thread, I don't really understand the argument of already "established servers" because if that's the case we should pack up now and stop at HL2 RP because there's already established Military RP servers too which means we shouldn't be doing WW3 again. LP started at a time where there were already established HL2 RP servers, seems like an extremely dumb way to look at it; What's the point in doing any new server or project if that's the case.

Reactions: List

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
when are we getting the rust server back?
B04AFD7DB71233AF368B37A53FABEBD0AC630AD3

Clouds

Mr. Weedmans
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The pro to Garry's Mod as opposed to other games is that most people can run it which means you're going to see majority of the community follow any other gamemode that comes out from Nebulous.

Granted a lot of people have good computers, you still have those who run potatoes but can still run Garry's Mod bar other games however.

Which is why Garry's Mod works and why I believe if we went to Arma, Rust, or GTA we would lose some of our players due to the inability to actually run it. Leaving those to be opposed to actually going to another platform.

Sure it's not THAT big of a deal, but it's still an impact to consider -- and is one of the reasons why Garry's Mod has continued to work for Nebulous.

Regardless of the age of Garry's Mod, we still see new players all the time because it's still a popular game (even though HL2RP is dying as a gamemode) among other gamemodes due to it's playability.

Stelios

Nucleus
Nebulae
A lot of reasons prevent this even being something that we'd ever consider, aside from the fact we've done HL2 RP for a very long time; trademark, licensing and other legal issues because we don't actually own any rights to HL2.

I've been partially following the thread, I don't really understand the argument of already "established servers" because if that's the case we should pack up now and stop at HL2 RP because there's already established Military RP servers too which means we shouldn't be doing WW3 again. LP started at a time where there were already established HL2 RP servers, seems like an extremely dumb way to look at it; What's the point in doing any new server or project if that's the case.

What about UE4 but for something of our own creation? Not HL2RP but maybe something similar to what we have right now, just re-named / re-textured, and the framework could be used as a basis for any RP setting nebulous would have, just like CW or Helix

I'd love to see nebulous go on for longer and not be limited by gmod in the future

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
What about UE4 but for something of our own creation? Not HL2RP but maybe something similar to what we have right now, just re-named, and the framework could be used as a basis for any RP setting nebulous would have, just like CW or Helix

I'd love to see nebulous go on for longer and not be limited by gmod in the future
getting as a solid playerbase for ue4 is difficult afaik

youd have to find the right game for it while trying to get a solid playerbase to support it

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
getting as a solid playerbase for ue4 is difficult afaik

youd have to find the right game for it while trying to get a solid playerbase to support it
This can be said for literally any idea, it's not limited to UE4.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
  • Minecraft
  • GTA V RP
  • HaloRP (However this is legit just WW3RP but set in the Halo universe.)
  • Some form of modern day setting for RP where you can be a normal Joe in a city.
  • CyberpunkRP

HaloRP would be cool and a throwback to when custom edition was at its height, but tbh do you really trust many people in here to not fuck it up?

would still be neat tho.

Anyway, where ever Neb decides to branch out I don't know. I'd like to see a well done HaloRP, or just Rust, or Minecraft. But we need to keep in mind the viability of the path the community takes, ideally one that fills a niche. As others have pointed out, GTA RP would be rough to get into with already established communities and ARMA has an ambiguous policy regarding donations.

Games like Minecraft and Rust tend to work best in small bursts rather than long term. Do we want to stay as a strictly roleplay community? Where ever we go, will we need consistent developer support like HL2RP or Stasiland? Do we have the capability to provide that support if necessary? Do we want to put that amount of effort in? Is it viable from a business perspective? Will it be a drain or will it bring in money?

Ideally I'd like to see us move away from strictly being a serious RP Gmod community. But that being said, it's daunting to expand beyond those horizons. It's what we know what works, it's a safe space to stay in and maintains a consistent player base and stable sense of community. All of our little forays into other games have been organized at the community level rather from the administrators, and it's something that has worked.

Could we perhaps try "burst games" like Minecraft and Rust on a seasonal basis? I unno.

Last edited:

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I'd enjoy having an ss13 server with tg as a codebase :)