Serious Bring Back WW3RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
just /fur/ it

reopen the server without any sort of fanfare or anything.

Opening event has effort. It's aimed at both new and old players invested in S2K/RP mix, focusing more on S2K featuring the good staff.

Run it for a day, and only one day. Feature a small campaign that allows players to make some changes depending on the side they're on.

End the first day with a big blowout shootout between both sides, or with tensions high, and the want for players to return the next day and continue.

On the dawn of the second day, permanently ban anyone and everyone who connected during the event - barring hl2rp staff, and ww3 staff involved in it's resurgence.

purge this bitch

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
just /fur/ it

reopen the server without any sort of fanfare or anything.

Opening event has effort. It's aimed at both new and old players invested in S2K/RP mix, focusing more on S2K featuring the good staff.

Run it for a day, and only one day. Feature a small campaign that allows players to make some changes depending on the side they're on.

End the first day with a big blowout shootout between both sides, or with tensions high, and the want for players to return the next day and continue.

On the dawn of the second day, permanently ban anyone and everyone who connected during the event - barring hl2rp staff, and ww3 staff involved in it's resurgence.

purge this bitch

nah im good

Reactions: List

DoubleD

String
B A N N E D
Nebulae
off topic but

are yall considering a second server for helix
xQ9P73B.jpg

Nebulae
The gamemode itself was the best I could find from military RP and it was very hard to even get yourself noticed from the very beggining. I do understand that this discussion has turned to shit. So I got an idea. If it will be in my payment ability to make the server go online for atleast 1 month and see if people will be comming back or NEW people from across other comunnities would be joining, Iam willing to give it a shot. But it would need new team of staff and maybe leave everything with data such as ranks. Changing the map would be great also.

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
can we please remove special forces as a playable faction and make it event/IC only
Cutting out a playable subfaction sounds radical but I'd agree cutting out special forces. When I was an infantry officer; trying to get roleplay from the SF group was like trying to get blood out of a stone. I'd keep trying to get the infantry and SF to work together, but it never happened.

Maybe there were moments it worked for other players, but from my experience SF was a closed off deathmatch group that overwhelmingly destroyed more roleplay than it created for players outside of their group. I could write pages of criticism about it as I've done in the past.

Tbh WW3RP would be way better with hard PKs sort of like XCOM does with soldier deaths being the end, meaning people actually have to think before they blindly run into S2K all the time.
It's an important issue for sure, and I like the concept of this solution, but honestly my gut feeling says "don't even try this." Having seen so many players not care about roleplay, and running around not caring if they die, they could keep renaming their characters on death and still enjoy deathmatching other players as hard as they were before - except now they'd be harming the scene more because their victims would lose their roleplay characters.

I worry that the more skilled deathmatching officers would outlast the others, because they understand how to survive in a deathmatch - which is not a roleplay skill. I knew some dedicated roleplay officers that weren't skilled deathmatchers that would die often. This could tip the balance of decision making among the highest ranking officers to be geared more towards deathmatching, which won't be good for the culture of a serious roleplay server.

While I'd often be cautious to survive patrols to be able to write my field reports, I'd still die outside base sometimes. When I joined there was a lack of officers, and later on there might have been more officers, but still a lack of good ones. Promotions were difficult enough at the time, but trying to ramp them up because of frequent character bans might strain the roleplay structure of factions too much. I don't think a PK system for every death would be practical, and would be nothing short of a disaster for the ranking system.

If that system is tried then monitor the effects closely, and be prepared to change it back to the way it was.

If people wanted it that badly, they'd have played and showed they wanted it when we had it.
There was a 3 month period where even I waited for the staff team of WW3 to do a finale event, it never happened.

I think the roleplay structure of WW3RP had been breaking down for some time, and it needed a hard reset. People working on or being connected to the server wouldn't have made much difference at that point, and I don't think that counting the players at the point where it ended(when it was arguably at its worst) would be a good metric to judge the passion people have for the potential of the gamemode.

Surely there's some hope for it, we just need to be sure that we have a practical system to generate and protect roleplay, then it could be an environment where the playercount could be much higher. The server that closed as we knew it probably should stay closed. What we'd be "bringing back" would be a new WW3RP, one where we take a fresh look at the purpose and mechanisms of a serious roleplay server.

An apathetic staff team and a low playercount are symptoms of a serious problem the scene had. A restart(if done well) could be exactly what it needed.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Maybe there were moments it worked for other players, but from my experience SF was a closed off deathmatch group that overwhelmingly destroyed more roleplay than it created for players outside of their group. I could write pages of criticism about it as I've done in the past.
I gotta agree with this.

Early on Neb they were actually pretty good, but as the confessions thread proved even this was a screen to allow for targeted attacks OOC and power consolidation. After this point it became an out-and-out meme team and/or further used for attacks/targeting (or leverage for bans).

Inherently if you give a certain group the power to be both secretive, OOC selective and spontaneously create their own roleplay without any outside elements they're going to eventually cycle into abusing that - more so if they're characters who can flag on whenever (compare WW3's SF to HL2RP's OTA which are much the same in a lot of ways and you'll probably see where the system works perfectly vs when it fails because too many liberties are taken) and be used to propagate a certain agenda.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Inherently if you give a certain group the power to be both secretive, OOC selective and spontaneously create their own roleplay without any outside elements they're going to eventually cycle into abusing that - more so if they're characters who can flag on whenever (compare WW3's SF to HL2RP's OTA which are much the same in a lot of ways and you'll probably see where the system works perfectly vs when it fails because too many liberties are taken) and be used to propagate a certain agenda.

It's a good comparison to be honest, just remember SF are not supposed to be like OTA, since after all what we'd want is for them to RP. Yet again, it's as you mention, Key is doing an incredible job with the faction, and we have some things to do no matter how hard it is to create stuff for us, but of course, the faction is the most strict out there, and we're not to fuck around at all.

This means you can have fun while not being a retard, which certain individuals can't understand. If serious RP isn't fun for someone probably they shouldn't be flying around CW gamemodes but DarkRP.

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
The gamemode itself was the best I could find from military RP and it was very hard to even get yourself noticed from the very beggining. I do understand that this discussion has turned to shit. So I got an idea. If it will be in my payment ability to make the server go online for atleast 1 month and see if people will be comming back or NEW people from across other comunnities would be joining, Iam willing to give it a shot. But it would need new team of staff and maybe leave everything with data such as ranks. Changing the map would be great also.

It's not a discussion about money and being able to pay for it if that's what you mean

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
compare WW3's SF to HL2RP's OTA which are much the same in a lot of ways and you'll probably see where the system works perfectly vs when it fails because too many liberties are taken
i think the reason OTA can get more leeway is that theyre literally designated to massacre and almost nothing if not nothing else so if they meme like fuck but get the job done its fine as theyre purpose is fulfilled, SF are built to function like any other sub-faction but the mindset that you need to join SF is somewhat similar to OTA yet the characters of SF are still RP characters with the additional purpose of being WW3s de-facto OTA, not having a changed/new sole purpose
problem is, and i say this as a former member of the uctf meme team (a terrible one but one none the less), you begin to focus your entire character around being this OTA like character where you join, go out in a 2-4 man team, meme like fuck doing retarded shit or just massacre anyone you can without a consideration for being serious
in order for SF to remove that OTA like attitude, people who are within the faction have to be vetted, under constant scrutiny, observed from both an IC and OOC perspective and hold a level of transparency in their members so that they arent protected by this bubble of secrecy where all of their actions are ignored and/or excused

D

Deleted member 1158

i think the reason OTA can get more leeway is that theyre literally designated to massacre and almost nothing if not nothing else so if they meme like fuck but get the job done its fine as theyre purpose is fulfilled, SF are built to function like any other sub-faction but the mindset that you need to join SF is somewhat similar to OTA yet the characters of SF are still RP characters with the additional purpose of being WW3s de-facto OTA, not having a changed/new sole purpose
problem is, and i say this as a former member of the uctf meme team (a terrible one but one none the less), you begin to focus your entire character around being this OTA like character where you join, go out in a 2-4 man team, meme like fuck doing retarded shit or just massacre anyone you can without a consideration for being serious
in order for SF to remove that OTA like attitude, people who are within the faction have to be vetted, under constant scrutiny, observed from both an IC and OOC perspective and hold a level of transparency in their members so that they arent protected by this bubble of secrecy where all of their actions are ignored and/or excused
Not to mention the logistical nonsense of faction leads being both Captain/Major of Special Forces and the main company at the same time. As well as the fact that Special Forces do not directly serve with main companies in war zones but are rather sent out on special missions. They have their own base of operations and their own command structure/infrastructure and shouldn’t have been mixing with regular GIs. Plus there isn’t much neccessity for them either, what they could do could easily be done by a regular infantry squad designated recon or set to ambush.

SF were never needed for anything other than a trophy character, so in that sense they are of even lower worth than OTA.

D

Deleted member 1381

As well as the fact that Special Forces do not directly serve with main companies
unfortunately if they were made completely separate it'd be much, much worse than if they were in the same company. it'd be the 'you cant order me' mindset that'd make it even worse

Mickee

Proton
Nebulae
Maybe make a whole new server but its based on what the community wants, it would involve TONS of voting for content and the lore of the new server. In the end the playerbase cant blame the staff. They can only blame themselves because it was made BY them.

Status
Not open for further replies.