Serious Why not discord?

Megafreak

shit medic
Nebulae
1. There is an option to set push to talk, infact there is an option to make it mandatory on the server.
2. pms make a noise and as do mentions
3. What
4. Then congratulations, you can set up a !!PRIVATE TEXT CHANNEL!! with specific members only :O
5. Or better yet we can ban the alts without saying a word.
6. I can't change this opinion.
7. This literally never happens.
8. Didn't realize some people found opening options and scrolling down to games was hard, god help you should you ever play an RPG.
9. They'd crumble and fall apart as the majority of players would rather use the official rather than a fake.
your points don't match up with my bullet points (you fucked up the order so I can't tell which is referring to which) and if you actually read my post you'd see that your first point wasn't even in my personal cons list (I even went so far as to explain they fixed it)
-Snipped this cause wheatley said my exact thoughts-
shame you snipped it because yours was actually in order, regardless it's still above for me so

the pm/message sounds are really fucking quiet and playing hl2 etc can go unnoticed/mistaken for ingame sounds (radios etc) when ts3 has a nice "hey wake up" and distinct plink (I think discord's chat sounds are alright-ish but still quite quiet
i didnt say there werent channels, there's a lack of text channel and voip linking like in ts, example "Plaza" voip channel, text in there doesn't go to everyone, just people in that channel whereas on discord everyone sees it (no setting up a pm isn't a solution it's fucking tedious and not a feature as much as it's a workaround)
doesnt change the fact that id literally have to seek out discord on my PC/phone etc to get on one community (neb) when everything else is on ts3
great, that was one of the few things i could have solved on my own, but theres literally 0 point for me to do it atm (because i dont use discord) which is why i said that

besides these aren't reasons I think you shouldn't use it, it's reasons I personally don't like it, arguing won't change my opinion on most of the things here, nor will workarounds and halfmeasures to solutions already present and available in my preferred program. If/when this stuff gets added (minus the gui thing and other communities, thats preference) maybe id consider using discord, until then ill just keep using ts3 because i can rely on it working and not fucking me over
[doublepost=1492384928][/doublepost]
Discord has proper ptt now, although it might be finicky(???) not sure because I just use voice activation anyway

Mentions are pokes I don't understand this, is changing the sound to something else what you want?

Circlejerks still happen on teamspeak there's really no difference

Chat channels tied to voice channels is a good point, but it can be remedied by making a bot if we do end up switching over

If anything it's harder to create alts and spam on discord because you require an account with a unique email, and discord has built in "my server is going to shit please help" options - whereas with teamspeak, you just need to generate a new unique id (and change vpn ip's if that's your fancy) to return to the server

UI is really just personal preference

I'm surprised that you aren't using discord for a fair amount of communities given how popular it is, but I can understand this

Country flags are just fluff that teamspeak has, verifying members doesn't really make sense since discord uses a persistent account-based system rather than unique id's so you'll know if it's someone else

Game status is very easily disabled, the options menu is no more daunting than teamspeak's options menu

The only reason people would migrate to their own teamspeak servers is because of this lack of will to change. The discord server would be half-empty because of people not wanting to switch over in the first place, so that can't really be a valid concern if it's a problem that the dissenting group is actively making for themselves
Ye, I mentioned that, haven't tested it as of yet but I did see they added it

yes, changing it to anything distinct is an acceptable "fix"

Yeah, but the whole poking thing on ts3 gets you in 90% of the time (it didn't before on discord because mentions were so quiet and went unnoticed half the time (this was a year ago almost, they could have changed it))

Didn't know this, when pepper was doing it he got in every five minutes so it seemed like it was that way

all of the below I can agree with although the last I think'd perpetuate as it got more empty

again guys my points are more personal preference than actual reasons not to change over, I'm not opposed to it should it happen, it'd just be inconvenient and take a lot of adjusting to (and hoping people tough it out so the server doesn't stay empty)

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
your points don't match up with my bullet points (you fucked up the order so I can't tell which is referring to which) and if you actually read my post you'd see that your first point wasn't even in my personal cons list (I even went so far as to explain they fixed it)

shame you snipped it because yours was actually in order, regardless it's still above for me so

the pm/message sounds are really fucking quiet and playing hl2 etc can go unnoticed/mistaken for ingame sounds (radios etc) when ts3 has a nice "hey wake up" and distinct plink (I think discord's chat sounds are alright-ish but still quite quiet
i didnt say there werent channels, there's a lack of text channel and voip linking like in ts, example "Plaza" voip channel, text in there doesn't go to everyone, just people in that channel whereas on discord everyone sees it (no setting up a pm isn't a solution it's fucking tedious and not a feature as much as it's a workaround)
doesnt change the fact that id literally have to seek out discord on my PC/phone etc to get on one community (neb) when everything else is on ts3
great, that was one of the few things i could have solved on my own, but theres literally 0 point for me to do it atm (because i dont use discord) which is why i said that

besides these aren't reasons I think you shouldn't use it, it's reasons I personally don't like it, arguing won't change my opinion on most of the things here, nor will workarounds and halfmeasures to solutions already present and available in my preferred program. If/when this stuff gets added (minus the gui thing and other communities, thats preference) maybe id consider using discord, until then ill just keep using ts3 because i can rely on it working and not fucking me over
[doublepost=1492384928][/doublepost]
Ye, I mentioned that, haven't tested it as of yet but I did see they added it

yes, changing it to anything distinct is an acceptable "fix"

Yeah, but the whole poking thing on ts3 gets you in 90% of the time (it didn't before on discord because mentions were so quiet and went unnoticed half the time (this was a year ago almost, they could have changed it))

Didn't know this, when pepper was doing it he got in every five minutes so it seemed like it was that way

all of the below I can agree with although the last I think'd perpetuate as it got more empty

again guys my points are more personal preference than actual reasons not to change over, I'm not opposed to it should it happen, it'd just be inconvenient and take a lot of adjusting to (and hoping people tough it out so the server doesn't stay empty)
I mean that's the main reason why we're trying to counter your points - we're trying to get you to switch over to the blurple side because the points you bring up (and most others that prefer teamspeak) aren't as bad as they seem. Plus, discord gets updated with new stuff every couple of months or so, which could also fix some problems that you might have down the road

Reactions: List

Tetra

Electron
Nebulae
Look if it ain't broke don't fix it. Teamspeak has been working for ages and it just works. I personally believed when we did use discord that the UI was too spaced out however with teamspeak the UI is more compact and easier to understand. Plus teamspeak has tags.

Megafreak

shit medic
Nebulae
Look if it ain't broke don't fix it. Teamspeak has been working for ages and it just works. I personally believed when we did use discord that the UI was too spaced out however with teamspeak the UI is more compact and easier to understand. Plus teamspeak has tags.
discord has tags
ui is comprehendable, even if you have to double check occasionally

but yes i agree that the design doesn't feel right at the moment

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
the design is better than a horribly antiquated UI that looks like it's from 2003

Megafreak

shit medic
Nebulae
the design is better than a horribly antiquated UI that looks like it's from 2003
how is it antiquated? it's quite clearly not either old fashioned (because they updated a fuckton of the icons a year ago or so) and it's not outdated because lots of people are using it and it does what it does (being a voip client) well and correctly

stop throwing an age strawman out there because age makes zero difference on how the application's ui is designed

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
Discord has tags

The UI is overall a much nicer shift when you realise that you can watch videos, see photos and text documents without even having to open them

Adrenaline

relaxed
Nebulae
Discord is a scam, don't use it.

not a single government or other agency, company etc is gonna be interested in your personal info
or pics you send friends in Discord
possibly if you're a terrorist, which i doubt you are
etc

so what are you afraid of
i bet other programs like Discord also gather info
its not a scam, it says it right in the terms so theres no "scam" involved

Adrenaline

relaxed
Nebulae
Okay, you've stumped me sir. They say they aren't scammers so that must be true. I'll have you know I'm also six foot two. My proof is that I said I'm six foot two.

??????? No, it doesn't say "this isn't a scam" that's not what I meant
If you atually read my sentence maybe you'd get it, as i said
"so there's no scam involved"
What I mean is that all the things about Discord collecting your information through chat etc is in their terms
So technically it's not a scam at all, you're just dumb if you don't want your information collected but agree to it
so really you have no argument to come with other than "uhh uhh, its bad they collect info", dont go calling softwares "scam" when there's no "scamming" involved (spreads false info to people)

Samurai

Inspector Bullshit
Nebulae
??????? No, it doesn't say "this isn't a scam" that's not what I meant
If you atually read my sentence maybe you'd get it, as i said
"so there's no scam involved"
What I mean is that all the things about Discord collecting your information through chat etc is in their terms
So technically it's not a scam at all, you're just dumb if you don't want your information collected but agree to it
so really you have no argument to come with other than "uhh uhh, its bad they collect info", dont go calling softwares "scam" when there's no "scamming" involved (spreads false info to people)
I kneel to your infallible rhetoric, and crafty use of ad hominems.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Discord is a scam, don't use it.

It's a free service and superior to Teamspeak, if you think it's a scam you should probably actually look it up yourself instead of watching a video LOL.
[doublepost=1492444672][/doublepost]If you're thinking that they collect data it must be a scam, are you using Windows 10? Because that shit collects data including when you open photos or search ANYTHING in Windows, oh and they moved that data collection to Windows 7 and 8 through "security" updates. What a scam.

Adrenaline

relaxed
Nebulae
ok lets not go too hard on @Samurai
he only misused the word "Scam"
ok? not a big deal :ok:

"shady" would've worked (altough tbf most communications services collect data)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Well either way, I don't like data collection but if you use Windows then it's happening to you right now already.

Samurai

Inspector Bullshit
Nebulae
It's a free service and superior to Teamspeak, if you think it's a scam you should probably actually look it up yourself instead of watching a video LOL.
I have looked it up. I read the terms of service and the sources the person re-sighted and its true. The owner of the company with his previous service was taken to court over his selling of his customers information.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Only difference is Discord isn't a scumbag company who's selling your data for extra cash.

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
Okay, you've stumped me sir. They say they aren't scammers so that must be true. I'll have you know I'm also six foot two. My proof is that I said I'm six foot two.
how do you scam someone if you dont get money